Frank's Grand staircase model

May 3, 2004
Hello,
I'm posting this photo to show my progress on my model of the grand staircase. This is the dome in it's early stage of construction. I have done a lot of research on the GSC and drawn up to scale some elevations and working plans. I will be posting more pictures as I progress on the model.

Regards
Frank
91032.jpg

May 3, 2004
Hi Tripp,

Materials I'm working with are wood, brass, glass, and other metals. Do you have in mind to make a model of any part of the ship?

Regards
Frank

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
I was going to do a CG model of certain interiors but my time appears to have been taken away with classes and soon a job. That and I'm in need of upgrading some the software I use. I think if you look somewhere in this forum you might find a thread where I posted some 3D Renders of where I took the 1st Class Lounge and updated it a bit and turned it into a Library. At the moment that's been my only accomplisment (a rather bare one compared to other models).

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Frank I think it's very commendable the amount of details you are putting into your model, especially when it comes to the dome. I can't judge the actual size from the pictures but the chandelier you're using almost looks real! Keep up the good work.

May 3, 2004
Hi Tripp,
I'm glad you like it. The scale is 1"= 1 foot so the dome is 19" X 26". The staircase room box when done will be 36" high X 60"L X 32"W. It will be in full detail all the way to the working clock. I will be at the Chicago miniature show, April 1-3, 2005 and there is also an article in the January 2005 miniature collector magazine.
Frank

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Congratulations on the article, Frank that is absolutely stunning work. I hope you'll continue to brief us on your progress, and good luck with the show in April!

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Fantastic work, Frank! I've seen the reproductions of the Grand Staircase at the Titanic Ship of Dreams museum and the traveling exhibit. Your miniature is like looking at pictures of those.

Kyrila

May 3, 2004
Hi Damon,

I make fine miniature chandeliers for the miniature collector. This one is made with over 1,600 small crystals and has 26 mini light bulbs. It took over a month to make. I was always fascinated with the Titanic, so when Ken Marschall painted the Grand Staircase with all its chandeliers, I knew that some day I would make a model. here are some more photos.
91978.jpg
91979.jpg

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Frank, do you think it'd be possible for you to write "instructions" on how to create such an elaborate model? I'd really be interested in pursuing the opportunity to create my own model if I had someone as crafty as you to guide me. Hell I'd be willing to pay for instructions on creating such a thing!

May 3, 2004
Hello Tripp,

I should be done with my model in April or May. After that I can Help you out. My drawings and plans that I have drawn up will be up for sale in June 2005. I do have my litho 24"x 24"limited to 100 signed and numbered up for sale for $250.00. Let me know if you would like one I have sold 37 of them from June to now and going fast. Here is a photo of the litho.
Frank
92112.jpg

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Sounds like a plan
happy.gif
I can't wait to see your model when it's finished, from the looks of things now, it will be nothing short of amazing.

Dec 7, 2000
Frank,

You are doing some incredible work!!! I hate to be so picky, but I just wanted to point out, that rather than being a 'baloon' of faceted beads, the large chandelier was made up of 6 panels of faceted beads, as seen here (in a computer model of the aft staircase dome). Also, both chandeliers were round, despite the oval effect of the fore dome.

92491.jpg

One other thing, the leaf arches did not reach the middle band, and the only brass effects were those leaf-arches and the greek key band at the base of the chandelier (and of course the chandelier frame itself).

Regards,

Daniel.

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Daniel, just outta curiosity . . . when you mention the leaf arches not reading the "middle band", where at in the pics are you referring too? Don't mind me, just being nosey :p