Frederick Fleet

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Andrew and Dave G. First off, thank for both your replies and willing to help me. The obituaries that I want are actual clippings from the original newspapers, I know... probably not the easiest to find, but have been searching and just thought I would ask here on the board. Second, I assume getting the Birth Certificate must not be the easiest as I have just seen responses about the Death Certificate. If the cheapest way to go is to just print if off Titanic-Titanic then I guess I can just go that route, but if a birth certificate was involved I would be most curious to see how much the cost would be to get both of those. Again, thanks for all the help.

Michael

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The New York Times obituary is online as a pdf, but it's not free.

The birth certificate might be hard, given the circumstances of his birth. Was his birth name Fleet?

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I figured the birth certificate might be a little bit of a challenge. As far as I know and from what I have heard his birth name was Frederick Fleet. I even have seen where some place he had a middal initial of F. so I guess Frederick even had a middle name as well possibly that started with a F. and I would be curious to find out what that is. I believe his mother's name was Alice but not completely for sure on that. I am really interested in Frederick's life and would love to be able to learn more but as I mentioned in my earlier posts, you seem to just get the basic info that is online and then you hit a brick wall.

Michael

May 16, 2008
Re: Birth Certificate,

FREDERICK FLEET

Birth: OCT-NOV-DEC 1887

District: West Derby, Lancashire, Vol.8b,Page 475

There was also quite a bit on Fred in Volume 17, issue 1, 1993 of the Titanic Commutator, including two good prints of the photos and letters he sent to Ed Kamuda. Any obituaries featured in the local papers would be held at Southampton Reference Library/ Special Collections. You can email them to get a quote or if it works out too expensive get someone local to print them off for you? I'm a Southampton man.

May 16, 2008
Also of interest to you may be his marriage cert:

Name: Frederick Fleet
Spouse Surname: Le Gros
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1917
Registration district: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 4
Spouse: Eva Ernestine M. Le Gros

His daughter's birth cert:

Name: Dorothy Frederica Eva Fleet
Mother's Maiden Surname: Le Gros
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1918
Registration district: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 109

Fred married Eva Le Gros on Jun 17 1917. She was a native of the Channel Islands. They had a daughter, Dorothy, Born Nov 28, 1918. She in turn married Michael Patrick Shanley in Southampton on Christmas eve, 1939. They had one son and one daughter, both still alive today I believe with children of their own. (Dorothy died 1979, her husband Michael died 1972).

http://www.thisishampshire.net/archive/2006/09/27/Heritage+-+Titanic+-+News/941272.Daily_Echo_paper_ seller_who_was_first_to_see_the_iceberg/

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
David, thanks so much for all your help and information. First off, I am kind of confused, I never remember or have ever even heard that Frederick Fleet even had kids, I didn't think he had any, deffintly new news for me. I do have that 1993 Commutator issue and that has some of the best info on Fred by far, very helpful! So correct me if I am wrong, but if I email the Southampton Reference Library is there a chance of getting original obituary copies from the papers, or would it deffintly have to be printed copies? Also, is there a website I can print this info off of or is there anyway of getting printed copies of the birth/marriage/daughters info/death certificates? Thanks

Michael

May 16, 2008
So'ton Library holds an archive of all of the local newspapers. They are stored on microfilm. Its just a case of loading the correct reel into the viewer which displays images of the actual newspaper pages. These can be printed off for a small fee of just a few pence. I will send you a PM.

geraintjones

Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for your response. Question asked as I had heard that his discharge papers from the Titanic had the name James Frederick Fleet on them.

John Terry

Apr 15, 2012
I'm quite sure that Frederick is his name. Although, he'd never been given a middle name, I believe; no doubt due to the fact that he was abandoned at a young age. Do you have a link to where you saw it say 'James'?

Apr 26, 2012
I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to find out where Frederick Fleet's wife Eva Ernestine May LeGros is buried. Is it in Southampton, or Holybrook with her husband? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to find out where Frederick Fleet's wife Eva Ernestine May LeGros is buried. Is it in Southampton, or Holybrook with her husband? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

If no one can answer your question, if you email your query to Southampton Bereavement Services, they will search their burial records and tell you where she is buried. They will need the name and approx date of burial and can supply a copy of the burial plot map if required. There is no fee for this service and from my experience they are very fast to reply.

[email protected]

Good Luck!

Tracy

May 3, 2005
Frederick Fleet's Testimony

I have been inactive for quite some time but am looking forward to getting back on the website. Thanks much for the opportunity of getting re-instated.

In his testimony to the US Senate, Frederick Fleet keeps repeating that he does not how high he was ; he does not know how to estimate distances, etc. Would he have been this uninformed of these or was he was just being evasive ? It would seem these things would be part of the lookout's duty. This seems a bit curious, or was this really the case for most lookouts in those days ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
He probably was being evasive to an extent, but a lookout who couldn't judge distance would not have been quite the liability that seems. His job was quite literally to keep a lookout over the path of the ship, then if he saw anything at all to signal the bridge by ringing a bell. The number of times the bell rang would give a rough idea of the bearing of the sighting, but it was up to the officers on watch to determine everything else.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
It is more likely that he lied about it. When asked about how far away was his boat (No. 6) from the sinking ship he suddenly came up with a distance. Senator Smith of course noticed that and directly asked him why he suddenly can judge a distance he avoided that question by stating he heard the others in the boat talking about the distance (not true) and he could not judge distances.

Reactions: 1 user