Frederick G Simmons

L

Lucky Forte

There is not much said about this Saloon Stewart other than he went down with he ship and his body has never been recovered. I am somewhat curious about this man and know he left behind a wife and a son. If anyone can give me more info or a possible web site that gives pictures I would greatly appreciate that. This is a man that has worked on a number of White Star Line Ships that sailed yet I wonder why more has not been said about his life, his family, where he lived and more pictures available of him.

Dear Lucky,
Of course Mr. Simmonds perished in the disaster - here is my database printout on him - I hope it helps?
Simmonds, Frederick. C. Lived at Staple Terrace, 203 Millbrook Road, Millbrook, Southampton. Occupation - Saloon Steward. 27 years old. (Born in Southampton. Ship before the Titanic the Oceanic.
Named on the Millbrook Church Memorial, Southampton.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 603. Simmonds, Winifred, widow. Child: Nina 5-months-old. Both class D dependents.
Letter from him to his wife as printed in From Titanic Voices)
On board the RMS Titanic
Just a line in great haste to let you know I am feeling fine and rather pleased with the ship. Of course I don't know if I shall have a show or not - I hope so. How are you on I hope you and baby are keeping very well. I expect I shall be comfortable here. When you write please address your letter to F. C. Simmons as there are two or more of that name on the ship. Well darling I have no more to say as I am in a hurry, love to all at home and heaps of kisses for you and Teddy.

Best regards
Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK.

L

Lucky Forte

Dear Brian, The Name is Frederick G. Simmons and it has been a debate over the middle initial being a C. I believe it is G and possible the G is for George. I am looking for Pictures and possibly a family tree. I am under the assumption that his baby was a son and not a daughter. At the end of the letter that you added it says "...and heaps of kisses for you and Teddy" and yet above it list the child as 5 month old Nina. I would really want to know just who this Saloon Stewert was. I can't explain the curiosity I have of this individual but is there a site online about him? Are there more pictures than the one that is really hard to see? Is there a memorial in honor of him?

Dear Lucky,
I will try to answer your questions:
You say - The Name is Frederick G. Simmons and it has been a debate over the middle initial being a C. I believe it is G and possible the G is for George.

It is 'C' on the Signing on Sheet, 'C' Printed in the Relief Book and 'C' on his memorial in Millbrook Church have you any documentary proof that it is G?

I am looking for Pictures and possibly a family tree.
No more available as far as I know.

I am under the assumption that his baby was a son and not a daughter. At the end of the letter that you added it says "...and heaps of kisses for you and Teddy" and yet above it list the child as 5 month old Nina.

An anomaly yes but ''Teddy'' could be a nick name for 'Nina' perhaps he wanted a boy and got a girl? I can only go on the written report that is in the Relief Book.

Are there more pictures than the one that is really hard to see?

Not as far as I know.

Is there a memorial in honor of him?

Yes, as stated in the first message in Millbrook Church in Millbrook Road - in fact there are two Titanic memorials in the church and two mentions of other Titanic people on gravestones in the churchyard outside. The church is about half a mile from the address given.
The house he lived in still stands and is occupied by a family.
Best regards

Brian J. Ticehurst