Freedom biggest ship afloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin johnson

Oct 22, 2001
have you seen this ship yet she is nearly a mile
long 750 feet wide and is 25 stories tall she is called freedom and is a floating city capable of
carrying 40,000 people she has a landing strip
that can accomodate a turboprop 38 to 40 passenger
plane. there is a mall to. She not being built in conventail ship yard she is to big i register for updates will keep you posted sincerely Kevin Johnson

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Last I heard she existed only in somebody's vivid imagination.

Anybody got any facts? It occurred to me when it was announced some years ago that if you wanted a tax haven it would be cheaper to buy an island from some banana republic.

Anybody want to tender for the antifouling job?

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I read about it in Popular Science a few years ago. I guess the man behind it has yet to find a shipbuilder courageous enough to try building it.

Personally, I hope it isn't built. It'd be a huge waste of resources and money to put into such a project, especially in this day and age.

Adam

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I agree with Adam. It's to big and to me looks like a waste of resources not to mention time. I would like to know what channel system this thing will fit on.

Erik

Sep 12, 2000
I say build it 5 miles long, make sure the bow fills with lots of water as it sinks so that the end sticks good and hard into the sea floor when it sinks and then you won;t have the expense of cheesy lifeboats and people can stand on the stern until help comes.

Mike, I would wonder who would be willing to steer it? hehehehehehehehe

Maureen.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Interesting comment on the steering Mo. I suspect for a ship this large, somebody would have to write a whole new book on the matter. Regardless of that, I don't see the thing ever putting into a port somewhere. She would simply be too large to use any harbour on the planet.

Also, how would she be supplied as needed with trivial luxuries like food and fuel? Aircraft and tenders I suppose, and a lot of them. If nothing else, the staggering logistics problems will likely put a damper on things.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 12, 1999
There was a program, recently broadcast, about the Freedom Ship on the Discovery Channel. Get this, the designers contend she would withstand a tital wave! Would you want to be on board that ship when a tidal wave hits? I think not.

The guy who designed it is really serious. He found a way to build it, not utilizing ordinary shipyard methods -- but constructing it the way a bridge is built (sort of, section attached to section). By analogy, he used the floating island airport that was recently constructed off Japan.

He also says that the ship will have to be built at sea, not in a dry dock. Building it this way, the designer says that they got the cost down to $400/sq.ft. Actually, that seems like a lot. But someone else probably knows better than me.

I guess the attraction is that you can live on the ship and always feel like you're on vacation -- and go from port to port. But, as most people know, after a while the fact of always being on vacation gets tiresome.

I wonder why they call the proposed ship, the "Freedom"? They should call it the Titanic.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I think that the name was proposed because it was supposed to be outside any national jurisdiction and especially to be a tax haven. On the web site I can't see any news newer than 1999. RIP.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Advertising now for what?
eh.gif

If you check This Entry on their website, you'll see that these people haven't been heard from since last May. In the meantime, there's no indication that they're building even so much as a rowboat. If, as they claim, there's a market for up to 6 ships, where is the first one? They may have something going on, but the silence here is deafening!
smoke.gif

A

Andrew Johnston

Advertsising the education system and transportation etc...

its a huge hoax, or atleast until the future...

J

Jamil Sepulveda

Yeah right, its too big. I doubt it will happen, how much steel would a ship that big take? And the website doesnt have enough evidence to back up that the ship is actually going to be built and if it WAS going to be built this would be HUGE news. I havent heard anything on the ship at all.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
And may I ask, what engines will the ship need?

It looks so top-heavy that I seriously think it will capsize before it even leaves port!

Status
Not open for further replies.