French ships nearby?

Aristide

Feb 10, 2019
Aix-en-Provence
Were there any french liners nearby when the Titanic sunk? If so, is there knowledge if they recieved messages and so on? I would really like to know.

Athlen

Apr 14, 2012
Two ships of the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique were in the area, the westbound La Bretagne and the eastbound La Touraine. Both sent ice warnings, and Olympic asked La Bretagne at 05:30 New York time on 15 April for any news of Titanic; the French ship replied that there was none. A third Cie Gle Transatlantique ship, La Provence, also appears — I think — on the Marconi diagram of ships that were within range of Titanic. None of the ships were close enough to make a rescue attempt. The Parisian was close, but that was an Allan Line ship. It wasn’t French, and the resemblance of the name to the Leyland Line’s Californian was a coincidence, as both lines used -ian names.

Reactions: Samuel Halpern

Aristide

Feb 10, 2019
Aix-en-Provence
Two ships of the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique were in the area, the westbound La Bretagne and the eastbound La Touraine. Both sent ice warnings, and Olympic asked La Bretagne at 05:30 New York time on 15 April for any news of Titanic; the French ship replied that there was none. A third Cie Gle Transatlantique ship, La Provence, also appears — I think — on the Marconi diagram of ships that were within range of Titanic. None of the ships were close enough to make a rescue attempt. The Parisian was close, but that was an Allan Line ship. It wasn’t French, and the resemblance of the name to the Leyland Line’s Californian was a coincidence, as both lines used -ian names.
Thank you very much. So all french ships were to far away to do something. Wonder if the passengers heared about what was going on?