Friendships between officers and passengers

Yuki.y

Yuki.y

Mr. Maréchal has said this many times in different media. 'I jumped into the boat and fell on top of the woman.' I also read on Titanica's Boat No. 7 commentary page that there were several people who moved from Boat No. 5 to Boat No. 7. So I am certain that Mr. Maréchal was eventually in boat #7, but I speculated that he may have initially escaped in boat #5.
(But perhaps the four persons who went to the other boat have been identified? If so, then this speculation of mine is totally nonsensical! Sorry ......o_O)

It is also true that there are various errors in Mr. Maréchal's memoirs. He also felt survivor's guilt, so it is not surprising that he may have falsified his memories due to guilt. But it is a very detailed and interesting memoir, and I would like various people to verify it.
Here is his memoir involving Mr. Murdoch. ↓
Confessions 15 avril 1937 - (15-avril-1937)

(Sara, sorry for going off-topic)

Reactions: Sarah S
Thomas Krom

Thomas Krom

(But perhaps the four persons who went to the other boat have been identified? If so, then this speculation of mine is totally nonsensical! Sorry ......o_O)
They have been identified, they were Edward Pennington Calderhead (1869-1961), Ruth Dodge (1874-1950), Washington Dodge Jr (1907-1974) and John Irwin Flynn (1875-1951)

K

Kiku

There would have been a lot of preening and posing, all of which went with the territory, but close personal relationships, shipboard romances and trysts just weren't a thing.

It wasn't as if anybody was a saint either. The fly in the ointment was the brutal watch standing rotation which made a full an unbroken good night's sleep a pipe dream. Even if the couple actively and passionately wanted to get up close and personal to mix DNA and make babies, he would have been too tired to do anything other than shake her hand.

"When we sleep...." Lightoller testified, "...we die!"

It was that rough.
I think it was Officer Lowe who testified so...I recall he slept through the collision and was only awakened by the commotion of the evacuation outside.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

I think it was Officer Lowe who testified so...I recall he slept through the collision and was only awakened by the commotion of the evacuation outside.

There was a LOT of that, and not just the officers. The accident itself was hardly bone jarring. Most of passengers and crew slept right through with the obvious exceptions of the people way up forward.

They were extremely aware of it.