Front row seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex McLean

Hello all,
As many of you know, I was in Southampton to see Jason and John off on the Queen Mary 2 on April 16th.
Originally, the plan was to take my host dad Jon's 28 foot yacht out to see the QM2 out, but upon leaving to see Jason and John from the hotel, I received news that someone had dumped rubbish into the marina and a plastic bag had caught around the propeller, rendering it useless. So, it was off to my host dad's friend Barry's boat.
Just under 30 feet, Barry's boat was a full motor boat, capable of reaching a top speed of, according to the speedo, 35 knots.
Cruising out of the marina with Jon, his daughter Sophie, Barry and his son Jonathon and I, right infront of us was the P&O liner Aurora. Sailing away out to the Solent, she left the Queen Mary 2 in plain view, though it was easy to see the top of her superstructure even above Aurora's funnel.
The band playing, the lines holding QM2 to the docks were dropped, and slowly with thanks to the bow thrusters she began to move away from the quay. So slight was the movement with thanks to the pods that I didn't even realise she was out until we cruised around the bow.
The fireboats taking the lead, she began to move out into the channel. Dodging one of those fast Isle of Wight ferries, we caught the wake alongside the massive hull, and then the fun began.
Cruising up and down the starboard side of the ship, we came around the stern and 'tailgated' for a while before heading right under the stern area and veering to port and around that side of the ship. I'm sure I saw Jason and John on the stern of the ship waving down.
Zooming up the post side of the ship, about 50 feet from the side of the hull, I remembered the Hawke collision, but it seemed Barry had the boat under control. I remember Jon remarking to me later we seemed too close, looking back at the photos I tend to agree with him.
Coming around the bow, we did a large circle and cut 1000 feet infront of the Queen Mary 2, around the tugs still spraying water, drenching us, and back down the starboard for a victory run before heading back to the marina.
I will be sure to post photos here in the coming days, there are some spectacular ones, also of her arriving on April 12th, which I viewed from Hythe.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Reactions: 1 user
A

Alex McLean

Here are some (but not all) of the photos I took while the QM2 was at berth on the 12th and 16th of April, and while she sailed away to New York.
I hope you enjoy them, if anyone would like the full set of photos, email me and I'll send you a link to the online album.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

A

Alex McLean

One of my first views of the Queen Mary 2, making a full 180° turn to come into her berth.

86183.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
A

Alex McLean

As you can see, April 16th was absolutely beautiful for the Queen Mary 2, but it was at about this point that a cloud covering came over, and cleared just as we berthed again.

86195.jpg

A

Alex McLean

One of the tugs used to bring the Queen Mary 2 out. Only two were used in the end, proving how efficiently her pods and bow thrusters work.

86201.jpg

A

Alex McLean

So majestically she pulled away from the berth, we didn't even realise she was moving until we got this shot. Notice the fireboat at her starboard stern.

86204.jpg

A

Alex McLean

Spraying water everywhere, the fireboats gave Queen Mary 2 one of the most beautiful exits in the fading sunlight.

86207.jpg

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
Alex, great job! You had such a great opportunity and you certainly captured the moment well. Hopefully during the summer I can head into New York City and watch photograph an arrival or departure. Thanks!
~Jimmy

A

Alex McLean

Hey guys,
I actually have a lot more to add which I'll do now, but the computer sort of, well, died on me. I'll get the rest up now.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

A

Alex McLean

We scooted around the bow of the QM2 to get this photo. I got another one, similar to the one above of the bow straight on, but at a closer range. We were a fair way from it, but it certainly felt like it was coming down atop us.
86229.jpg

Those fireboats really made the ship look spectacular.
86230.jpg

86231.jpg

We came back around to the stern for the next few shots, before charging up the port side and then around the bow again.
86232.jpg

It was about this time I thought I saw Jason and John on the stern, standing to the left of the flagpole.
86233.jpg

86234.jpg

Looking back, I felt a sence of power as we charged up the side. We were just metres away and overtaking the largest and fastest passenger ship in the world.
86235.jpg

Heading outwards to cross the bows well ahead of the ship.
86236.jpg

Just as the ship sailed away, the clouds cleared allowing me to get this nicely coloured photo before the sun was covered again. Until we meet again...
86237.jpg

A

Alex McLean

About a half hour before QM2 slipped her moorings and sailed, P&O's Aurora left Southampton. I thought I'd put these photos here too because in one of them, you can see how close the ships were from each other by QM2's funnel.

86247.jpg

86248.jpg

86249.jpg

86250.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.