Funnel flick Poseidon Adventure

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Is there anyone here who has not only watched the movie, but read the book?
I've always said very few movies could top the special effects ( and camp ) in this particular movie. But I always wondered what would have happened if Silliphant ( screenplay writer ) had stayed closer to the concept of the novel.
In the book, Linda was more evil. Reverend Scott had questionable sexuality and was involved with a much older spinster. The Shelby's parents were aboard.
And the unlucky souls in the dining room in the movie who perished ( why didn't they float out ask many a viewer? ) got out another way in the movie. Unfortunately the book never elaborated, so you are left wondering how they escaped.
A lapse on Gallico's part.
And the route in the book was definitely more torturous.
You have to do mental gymnastics just trying to picture it.
What does anyone else think?
Mike

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
WELL....since you asked. I think that had Sterling Silliphant stuck closer to the book the movie would have been darker and- if possible- even more campy, but at the same time encumbered with a lot of plot-slowing tangents. TRUE it would have been fun watching Linda attempting to sexually arouse the possibly homosexual minister at every opportunity (and imagine the classic "whaddya got, a set of teeth....." line delivered by Ernest Borgine) but at the same time it would have stymied the forward motion of the plot. Susan being raped and after, oh, say five minutes of trauma actually falling in love with her rapist and hoping, on the final page, to have been impregnated by him was best left unexplored onscreen, I think we both agree. The Red Buttons character having the affair with the 50-ish nymphomaniac behind the back of his arthritic wife would just have been visually appalling on screen as well as a superfluous tangent. Robin (Eric Shea) wandering off in the dark, too embarrassed to defecate in front of his family, never to be seen again WOULD have been a welcome plot point. The monologue in which it is revealed that Linda was molested by her father, raped by the neighborhood gang, put on the street as a prostitute by her mother, sent to prison for stealing a car, AND the star of a failed Broadway musical ("Hello Sailor") all before marrying Mike, would have been interesting but at the same time cumbersome - how elegantly Silliphant condensced it into MIKE: So, he recognised you. LINDA: Well, doesn't that bother you? MIKE: If it bothered me I wouldn't have married you. LINDA: Well, first you arrested me SIX TIMES! MIKE: I hadda think of SOME way to keep you off the streets 'til you'd marry me! LINDA: (Looks at him soulfully, and then) Come here, you lousy cop.
More like poetry than mere dialogue.
I WISH that the "everyone who remained in the dining room survived in their evening wear" surprise ending had been retained, but am glad at the same time that the sex interlude in the pile of junk food between Nonnie and the 40-ish Playboy (who didn't make it to the screen at all) vanished. I wish that the tragic Marie who fell down the big hole and died while tease-combing a wig (a part which cried out and cries out for Karen Valentine) had made it to the screen, but at the same time am glad that Mrs Rosen's very emotional pants-wetting sequence didn't. How nice it would have been to discover, like in the book, that "Mike" was only on the ship to tail the minister for some unnamed crime, and how appalling it would have been to have to witness the sex scene between Nonnie and the Playboy in the oil pit surrounded by the severed limbs of the engine room crew. KNOW WHAT? I think that this fairly screams "MINISERIES" with a hot new cast of has beens and all of the repugnant details of the book presented full blown.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And, let's not forget Linda attempting to scale the unsafe debris pile, toppling off and impaling herself (with those classic dying words "Rogo You Son Of A B*TCH!") while the others say things like "Couldn't have happened to a nicer person" and "She was stupid-stupid-stupid" and the Reverend makes a callous joke about what a loud mouth she was. And the ENDLESS angry monologue that the late Robin's mother gets to deliver at her husband ("I've hated you! I've hated sharing your bed!") after Robin falls down the same big hole as the ill fated Marie. And the downer of a sequence in which Mrs Rosen dies at the very instant they are rescued. And the part where Mrs Rosen has an unfortunate attack of "the wind" at which Linda laughs and and imitates causing Mrs Shelby to take a swing at her. And the part where Linda does something obnoxious and Mike punches her (Gallico points out that with the facial swelling she resembles a pig) and says "Aw sweetie, look what you made me do to your pretty face." And the throat clutchingly gross interlude in which the spinster who may or may not be a psycopath reveals the intimate details of her affair with the Reverend. Thisd is all RIFE with remake potential.

Apr 16, 2001
Hey gang,

Never read the book - although it still sits on my bookshelf.

How does poor Acres (wonderfully played by the late Roddy McDowall) fare in the Gallico book? Does he meet the same fate as depicted in the 1972 movie?

Separate from the book, I met Stella Stevens three months ago at a function here in New York. I complimented her on her grand performance. She was extremely gracious and I think enjoyed the attention everyone gave her. She did relate that the Poseidon Adventure is the only movie most people remember her in. And the most frequent question.....how did you ever climb those ladders, railings and the Christmas tree in those twelve-inch heels? The obvious answer... Most of the action sequences where she is seen climbing, dangling and, of course, doing that famous swan dive death plunge was a stunt double. She had fond memories of making the movie, and I must say, still looks very good. I couldn't believe she told me she was 63! Hard to imagine Linda Rogo that much older!

Coincidentally, I met Ernie Borgnine back in 1998 when I was doing the QVC specials down in Philadelphia. His wife Tova has her own program on QVC so he was at the studio at 2:30 a.m. waiting for her to finish. Nice fellow - with great big hands......

And does anyone know what became of child actor Eric Shea? His movie career seems to have sunk after the Poseidon Adventure.....

Shell, how 'bout remembering some of those great movie lines?

HACKMAN: "We get out through the kitchen and deeper and deeper into the ship until we reach the hull."
BORGNINE: "Oh, then we just kick out the bottom and swim ashore, huh?"
STEVENS: "Well, maybe you can just yell this the police and it will open right up."

Mike

Thomas Ford

Jun 22, 2010
well, mr. acres doesn't meet his fate in the central shaft, in fact we don't know what happens to him, last time he is mentioned reverand scott asks him for his advice on which way to escape than they leave him behind near the galley a while later rogo finds the deck starting to flood, so either acres drowns or is among those who escaped through the bow but i would lean more towards the former, and i would have liked it if they kept the original ending instead of keeping the ship afloat.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
ERIC SHEA: Did a Brady Bunch episode in which Bobby paid him .50 to date the repulsive and friendless Cindy. After those two career highs in the same year there was really no place to go but down. I don't think he has ever made a Poseidon Adventure reunion OR a cameo on an Aaron Spelling TV show so it is safe to assume that he is out of the business.

ACRES: Left behind by the monomaniacal Reverend. I forget whether it is HE who breaks his leg and his mate Peters who refuses to leave him, or vice versa, but Scott leaves them behind as dead weight more or less. A few chapters later he sets a time limit on how long they should search for the missing Robin. Sterling Silliphant softened the character up considerably

GREAT MOVIE DIALOGUE:
CAPTAIN HARRISON: Are all the life lines strung?
BIT PLAYER: All except for C Deck Sir.
CAPTAIN: When I order all life lines strung that includes C Deck. Now see to it.

That "C"/ "see" thing always makes me snicker.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Mr Findlay- I failed to mention this in the previous posting, but it is good to hear that Stella Stevens is gracious about her Poseidon Adventure fame. I sensed that she was, after a still of her as "Linda" inscribed with "Just Panties, what else do I need?- Stella Stevens" was auctioned off, and after she mentioned in Liz Smith's column that she wishes she still had the aforementioned panties so that she could sell them on Ebay to the (evident) hordes of people who still ask about them. Her immediate follow up to the Poseidon Adventure, the indescribable horror/comedy Arnold (in which she is married to a corpse and co stars with Roddy McDowell) is well worth catching on those extremely infrequent occasions it turns up on TV.

Jun 12, 2004
Hey, anyone die in the movie who survives in the book or survives in the movie who dies in the book (except for Robin and Manny Rosen)? Just wondering.