Funnel Flicks STILL steaming

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You just beat me to it! Or maybe we see her finally getting a lifetime award for achievement in over-acting. Or at the very least the 1960 academy award for 'best screaming by an actress with orange hair in a sinking ship movie', the same award for which Kate Winslett was nominated in 1997.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Well, yes, that is exactly what happens. There is an Athenia based episode of "Twilight Zone" from 1963 called "Death Ship" in which a slightly older Tammi Marihugh plays Jeannie and does, in fact, die. It is the one where the sub captain ends up going to hell, where his punishment is to spend eternity on the ship being torpedoed over and over and over. etc. Since part of the ordeal entails an eternity spent with Tammi Marihugh's character you can be sure the sub captain was indeed repentant.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
A trendsetting showbiz figure, a soon to be giant of a director, and an ill fated liner (best known by its connection to a famous actress) used as a floating prop came together in this intrigue laden film. A few hints: The leading lady is best known as part of a team and for being an animals rights activist. Photos of the ill fated ship's death throes are among the most famous liner images. THe director is, arguably, better known at this point for his excesses, and for a cameo role, than for any of his films. Tammi Marihugh does not appear.

Apr 11, 2001
Am working on it, and thinking of everyone from Kim Basinger to Betty White! All I can come up with is SABOTEUR with Priscilla Lane, who was once part of dancing and singing sisters team, (Rosemary and Lola Lane) with Fred Waring's orchestra. The Normandie is on her side in New York Harbor, and Hitchcock fits the rest of the bill? Do I win something? :)

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
No prize, yet.....
A husband with a link to a famous "Mount."
A distant relationship to Voltaire.
An actor linked to Screendom's campiest "close-up."
Racecar driver dies.
Plane crash.
Incredible Greed.
Bad biopic some time later.
Plath.
A Speedway lady.
Parisian debut.
Edith Bunker's annoying 'best friend.' (First name)
Historically linked to Berlin.
Radical hairstyle, in its day.
A reluctant captain.
The Swamp.
A dancing detective.
Stormy weather.
Simian undertaker.
Looked similar to a Vandyke.
Sang in partnership with Mickey.
Secret Service link.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This has to be Irene Castle, and probably Erich von Stroheim. Plus we have 'Sylvia' and the Secret Service. So I'll go for the obvious and suggest 'Sylvia of the Secret Service', but I've no idea if any ship was involved (I didn't get to the flicks much in 1917). It's a safe bet that Tammi Marihugh wasn't in it!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Very good, Bob. That is half of the answer. If you eliminate all of the "Sylvia" "Irene" "Vernon" "Erich von Stroheim" and "Secret Service" clues, what remain are clues relating to the ship used in the film. The disaster, of course, had Celtic links.
92166.jpg

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
So I win only one of that pair of World cruise tickets, Jim? Try for the other one, Shell, and we're set up for a great time.

Good pictorial clue, Jim. It seems we're looking for a shipwreck where places in the lifeboats were determined by a talent contest?
smile.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And while you ponder that....

Another ill fated liner.
Another screen 'great.'
Early role for said 'screen great.'
Lucille Ball none-too-pleased by 'screen great'.
Made for Television movie.
Actress can be likened to "Sybil."
happy.gif

Crepe Suzette.
happy.gif

S.F. Chronicle link.
Not a woman's name.
Miracle.
Emmy.
A "doll."

and you have.....

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Madame Vestris it is! Sylvia of the Secret Service was set, and filmed, aboard the Vestris. The action took place on a voyage between Amsterdam and London, although it was filed while the ship was tied up at her pier in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is VERY evident in the background in many of the stills, but hopefully was not as noticeable onscreen- I've not yet seen the film. The scene in which Irene does her impromptu dance to distract the villains was shot at approximately the same point on the boat deck as the famous shot of the passengers struggling uphill to the lifeboat was, which is why I angled the scan.

Your world cruise tickets shall arrive shortly.

So, now, can you get the SECOND shipwreck obscurity I posted?

A few more clues:

An admiral.
One address removed from the Manson Murders,
summer 1968.
A second link to Manson.
An Armstrong.
A #3 hit record by the star in question.
Black Widow.
Many photos taken.
Napkin folding.
A Hollywood wife.
Noted for a star in real life, who was not in this TV movie.
A Hudson was the last to go- a Chrysler remained.
Married to a Dutchess.
"Well, at least I never MARRIED one!"
Melissa Gilbert hardly measured up.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jim, whilst racking my brains on this one I've been reading back in the thread and caught sight again of your Tammi Marihugh puzzler. Bad news, I'm afraid. I recently saw that Twilight Zone episode (the one with the U-boat captain condemned to spend eternity on a doomed liner) and was hoping of course to see the screaming brat come to a bad end at last, but the episode is actually called 'Judgement Night' and she's not in it. She does indeed appear in 'Death Ship', but that's about a space ship, and not even a photon torpedo in sight. Ms Marihugh is unscathed as the end credits roll, leaving the audience feeling they've been short-changed once again.
wink.gif

May 12, 2005
I don’t know how I missed this one. I have a photo of Irene Castle in a scene from this film. Typical of Castle’s films, she is posed to show her dress and hat most effectively! By the way, for "Sylvia of the Secret Service" she apparently took a breather from the couture salons and blossomed forth in her own creations.

Fashion didn’t help her in this instance as the movie was not favorably reviewed. Photoplay Magazine’s critic said it was "just a lot of itching hand, grabbing claw, gnashing teeth, kicking feet stuff," adding that "Irene Castle has become an actress of remarkable talent" but that, if she continued to be "exploited in such junk as this she will soon lose her appeal."

I’m not aware that this film survives but it may, as a few of Castle’s films lately turned up at George Eastman House. Her first feature film "The Whirl of Life" (1915), in which she and partner Vernon appeared, is preserved on videotape at the New York Public Library, the original being held at the Museum of Modern Art, where Irene donated it in the 1940s. MOMA also has several installments of her William Randolph Hearst-sponsored serial, "Patria" (1916-17), notable for the political controversy it caused during World War I; President Wilson even tried to have it suppressed.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
All is not lost, Jim. She was also in Wagon Train (chance of being run over by wagon), General Electric Theatre (chance of being electrocuted}, Stagecoach West (very good chance of 'going west'), and best of all in Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (lots of awful things happen to brats in Grimm's tales). Fingers crossed.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
...and My Three Sons, so always a chance at an illegal polygamous marriage, a messy court case.....etc.

Still my favorite moment of all is her "audition" at Desilu at which she does the "Little Pink Electric Chair" scene from The Bad Seed. And sings....