Funnels collapsing sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2005
Here's my FCS (Funnels Collapsing Sequence)

1st funnel collapsed above water.

2nd funnel collapsed under water.

3rd funnel collapsed shortly after the propellers touched the water when the ship split.

4th funnel collapsed after 3rd funnel.

If you have FCSes post them here! Or at least any where where the topic is related.

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

I always thought that the 2nd funnel collapsed above water. That would explain the damage to the gym area. I noticed it when I saw the National Geographic almost a year ago. If you look at the 1986 collage picture of the bow, you can see what looks like a line of collapsed deck, coincidentally in the shape and position of the 2nd funnel...

But then again, I can't say whether it happened above or below water.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If I recall correctly, the Gymnasium was mostly intact when the wreck was found. See http://home.flash.net/~rfm/BOW/grand.html for Roy Mengot's model of the area and his notes. Having said that, there was a flap of the second funnel noted there but it looks to me more like it was torn off on the way down. Much of the damage you see in the region of the gymnasium is simply the result of time and the elements taking their toll.

A

Adam Tarzwell

Yeah I always thought the roof of the Gymnasium collapsed in the years after the discovery of the wreck because in a book written by Robert Ballard about finding the wreck there is a picture if them peering in one of the windows of the gym seeing the mechnical bull machine.

A

Adam Tarzwell

I don't know if there is really any proof to back this up but did the first funnel collapsing destroy the bridge or was that caused as she sank to the bottom?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well, for all we know, the guys who attacked the Seabourn Spirit might have been terrorists.<<

I think most of that happened on the way to the bottom. The funnel was supposed to have tipped over to the starboard side as it went over and the demolished condition of the starboard bridge wing and cab seems to bear that out. Much of the bridge enclosure appears to have been made of wood so it wouldn't have survived the plunge to the bottom all that well.

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

This isn't the 1986 collage, but this is a picture of the area that I thought to be collapsed from the falling funnel (I outlined the area in red)

titanic_copy1.bmp

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, that's the Gymnasium allright. What's left of it.

The catch is that this particular area was intact in 1986 and if I recall correctly, was even used as a landing site for some of the submersibles that have dived on the wreck. It didn't look like it showed signs of obvious impact damage at the time though I may be misreading the tea leaves here. Seeing that it's now in a state of total collapse, it's fairly obvious why nobody does that any more...there's no longer a roof to land on...or even the boat deck for that matter. Note that hole that's opened up leading down to A Deck. Nobody wants to take that "Express Elevator Ride" down into the superstructure.

They know they won't be coming back!

Mar 18, 2000
Jeffrey - if you take a look at the same area on the 1987 mosaic, you'll see no hole in the Boat Deck, at the area indicated. In fact the deck itself appears intact all the way from just outside Capt. Smith's quarters, all the way past the Gymnasium.

Also, in the same mosaic, the roof of the Gymnasium appears completely intact, with just a few things on the roof that are probably remainders of the second funnel.

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

Sorry about that, but I had to run the previous posts off of memory, since my National Geographic mysteriously disappeared. However, I just found it (hidden under a pile of something-or-other).

I noticed that in the 1987 mosaic (sorry about the date mess-up again), there seems to be a color difference in the same area that I pointed to in the 2004 mosaic. Maybe it's just the seam of the separate pictures that's making the color difference, or maybe there is a slight indent in the gym area. Perhaps the funnel collapsed while somewhat submerged, with the water cushioning the fall enough that it didn't do extreme damage.

I don't pretend to be a Titanic buff, so please pick at my theories.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Jeffrey, I recall from the 1987 National Georgraphic issues that the stbd boat deck near the gymnasium wasn't imaged by Angus, and the mising area had to be substituted by video imagery for the mosaic.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
I read in Parks's 2005 report the base of funnel 2 smacked into the roof of the gym. The steel of the uptake is bent to port and aft. I also think that is funnel skin covering the port fiddly grate. Also from what I read in the report the reason why the port side deck around davit 8 is now collapsed, when the top of the funnel hit it. Hmm, that does seem a good theory and could explain in the 1986 photos why the windows of the enclosed screen have part of the bottom missing in this area.

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

A little delayed, I know, but I just realized the connection with the indentation of the decks and Jack Thayer's account of a funnel collapsing to starboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.