Funny stories relating to Titanic

K

Kathy A. Miles

How many of our family and friends think we're nuts about Titanic? Are we nuts? Here's my most recent story.
It had all started out so innocently. I had done something probably countless other Titanic buffs had done, scanned a pretty painting of the beautiful ship to use as desktop wallpaper.This was a gorgeous one of a star studded night with the great ship steaming away in the picture. Perfect! Or was it? There was the matter of that darned berg in the painting, obviously painted in there to be "The Berg" because the ship was steaming straight towards it. I paused. No, this would never do. I couldn't look at that on my desktop every day, not the accident just about to happen. But what to do, the rest of the painting was so pretty. And so, with a few furtive looks around to make sure no one was paying much mind to what I was doing, because they all think I"m stark raving mad about anything to do with the ship, I opened the image in GIMP. It only took about 10 minutes to remove that iceberg. Now she had a nice clear ocean in front of her. The perfect desktop picture! But wait....that was a nasty looking berg just peeping into the foreground too, no danger to Titanic, but a nasty close shave just the same, and of course, the Carpathia would be coming along soon. Perhaps I could make it just a bit smaller, then it wouldn't bother anyone, it would soon just melt away and not be a problem. Yes, that was it, I'd just shave a bit off here and there. And now my nice desktop wallpaper had a beautiful night scene, star studded sky with my favorite ship. One would hardly notice those 10 X 10 pixel bits of ice here and there, they were actually kind of pretty, how the liner's lights reflected off them. Yes, I had the perfect wallpaper!

How bad is it with you guys??

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Hello Kathy,
I like your story and I am sure there are other members wtih similar ones relating to the addiction we share.
And yes, I am pretty bad too!!!
Just recently I stayed up till 5 o'clock in the morning to tape the first Time Tunnel episode about Titanic.
My wife thought I was nuts going to work on only 2 hours sleep, but she also understands I would be going through withdrawls had I not!
I also like astonomy and take out my telescopes whenever the skies over Portland,Or. clear up!
Take care, Don

Apr 11, 2001
Kathy- I feel a little better now- maybe we should start a Titanic Anonymous Club for severe cases. In 1984 the local news channel wanted to film my Titanic Last Dinner ( copied from the famous menu)- I had invited Marshall Drew as dinner guest and he was the REAL attraction for the news crew I suspect! They called at 10 p.m. to tell me they would arrrive at 11 a.m. the next morning- so I stayed up all night with the mint sauce and Titanicizing my diningroom -the ship model as a centerpiece. I was wondering about 4 a.m. how to make an iceberg for the centerpiece. Most of the kitchen cupboards got pulled out and various tupperware and jello molds were tried without success. I had one of those trendy blue rubber ice sculpture molds -shaped like a duck... with a bit of shoestring I tied off the feet and neck- threw all the frozen food from the freezer into a picnic cooler and filled up the duck. The results were spectacular and the berg made the news at 11!

S

sharon rutman

Amen Don! I too saw that memorable episode of Time Tunnel at 5 am and my chief regret was not recording it as I had no idea where the show was in its episodes. I know full well the strange looks one gets as a Titanic devotee. Bob Ballard is right about one thing--there can never be any divorcing the Titanic--ever.

R

Richard K. Mason

Well, Don......

You bring up a very interesting thought. Like you, I've had to deal with people over the years making lewd, crude remarks about MY continuing interest in the Titanic. Many times, for example, I've been asked about my past experiences with dating. My standard answer has always been that most {though, not all!} of my dates were somehow personally related to the "ICEBERG that sank the Titanic"!. Ha! Ha! That usually draws a cargo-hold full of guffaws and snorts! Try that on your wifey-wife or someone else the next time they ridicule your Titanic-mania!

{Not trying to make "WAVES" here ladies, you understand?}

Richard

K

Kathy A. Miles

Don, nice to know you like astronomy and have telescopes. It's funny, but I've run into an awful lot of Titanic buffs who also like astronomy. Maybe it's because they're odd topics (according to some.)
I've been known to frighten neighbors by setting up my scopes in the field. Some of them still aren't sure they aren't some kind of missle launcher
happy.gif

Cheers,
Kathy

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
At my office, as well as at my former office, my coworkers learned to get used to all my Titanic pictures, as I could not bear to throw out the Ken Marschall calendar images.

Of course, working at IRS, there have been questions about whether my images reflect my thoughts about the agency's restructuring.

A former coworker once asked "Why is there an image of the Titanic in everybody's booth"? This was after I gave out a few of the images.

I responded that it was related to the direction of the IRS, and my coworker replied "well I want an image of the ship sinking, or breaking apart". I gladly obliged (used the break up scene) and she had it prominently displayed in her cubicle.

People are also used to seeing my Titanic wallpaper on the computer (I used the "Titanic Approaching Southampton" picture), and the Marschall screen saver. I activate the screen saver, which locks the computer, whenever I leave to make copies, during audit interviews.
At least one representative, who gave me a lot of documents, said "I got to watch the screen show, twice".

People have also commented how much they like the "Hollywood Reporter" ad that George Lucas took out, in March 1998. They find that one quite amusing.

Finally, our computer support technician stated that "I always feel like I'm going on a cruise", whenever he sees all my Titanic pictures (all non-sinking).

John Clifford

Mar 28, 2002
Morning all,

I used to work with a girl who had a bit of a "thing" for me and she would do anything to get me interested in her. In her lunch times, she even typed the entire Titanic passenger list.

For my 21st(?) birthday, she kept nagging me about what I wanted for a present and in jest, I said "Titanic - An Illustrated History", which cost about forty quid at the time. I didn't have the money to pay for it and neither did she so she tried to get out of it. As a joke, I kept saying "You DID ask and I was really looking forward to getting this book. My birthday is going to be rubbish now". So she went out and dutifully bought it for me! I was only bloody joking but it seems to have cured her obsession with me. She's now working as a nurse in Dubai.

Cheers,

Boz

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, my coworkers are quite impressed with my obsession. They've even posted articles in the newspaper about my Titanic exhibits on the time clock for everyone to enjoy. (Two articles appeared in local papers within my first three or four months of employment.) They also love to see my new Edwardian costumes when I complete them. My family, on the other hand, is bored. My daughter refuses to bring her friends home for fear I will give them a personal tour of our "Titanic Museum." I have the livingroom, dining room, and hallway to the bedrooms all decorated with my collection of memorabilia. The rest of my relatives don't bother to come, either. That includes former inlaws, parents, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins. Haven't seen my ex since my daughter was born, but that's another story.
Oh, and my bedroom? I reserve that for the Beatles.

Kyrila

K

Kathy A. Miles

I don't have a screensaver with Titanic yet, only because I haven't found one which will run on Linux, but I do know there is some freeware for windows that will display any group of images as a slide show screensaver. The cool part about that is that you can change the images it displays easily, adding, removing whatever you want. I can't recall the name of the software but I do remember it was freeware.

Kathy

K

Kathy A. Miles

Actually, I just did a bit of searching and found this program called gphoto and it looks pretty cool. It says it runs on all win9X platforms and in addition to images, it will also play wav and midi files during the show. It's freeware too.
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000032258
Check it out and if anyone needs/wants any images for it, let me know, I've got loads!
Cheers,
Kathy

Apr 11, 2001
Don- go to google.com and type in Titanic screensavers in the search box- you will find a zillion. My fav is the dark blue undersea with the bow on the bottom- the icons show up so well on the desktop.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Don.

I found my screensaver at the RMSTI traveling exhibit, when it was in Las Vegas.

My advice: check with Trans-Atlantic Designs, at the Redondo Beach address, the one mentioned in all his books.

If you don't have it, let me know, and I will email it to you.

BTW, Ken's screensaver uses the same images that were on the 1998 calendar.

John Clifford

M

Melissa E. Kalson

Hello all..
I'm also a Titanic enthusiast. Can't say why or what drives me to it but I have been ever since I saw the 1997 movie. Of course I'm more interested and 'obsessed' if you will with the real ship and its people. Does anyone know where or if there might be any 2003 calendars? I sure would love to have one. I had one in 1998 from the movie. I'd love to find a calendar however of the real ship. I'm kidding myself if I think there might be one. Unless I make one myself (and I wouldn't know how). Thanks all and I look forward to chatting on this board more.

P

Patti Darby

Melissa -
I'm a graphic artist and I can make a calendar, no problem. The trick is getting it printed - big dollars. It would be nice to see a good calendar with original Titanic pictures including some of the passengers and the crew as well as the ship. Let's hear it for a Lightoller Beefcake! ... just kidding - really...
As far as screensavers and wallpaper go, my search rendered mostly stuff from the movie and a landslide of pop-up ads. (Had to go out and find an ad-stopper quickly!)

To All -
My husband has a nice slide/screensaver program called Webshots (www.webshots.com). BEWARE: If you download it, disable the "Gator" and "Daily Photo" portions. They apparently send your internet habits/interests/information back to Webshots (or others) and you could conceivably get spammed.
However, they have many very nice photos of all descriptions and themes, and you can create your own shows as well.

Patti

P

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship

The duck/iceberg brought something to mind...

A couple of years ago, my son and I played a bit of a practical joke on one of his young friends who is quite a Titanic buff. It is a VERY in joke, and assumes that one's victim has read A Night to Remember thoroughly

Recall, if you will, the surreal incident on Scotland Road, where Steward Etches met the passenger carrying a big chunk of ice. As Etches watched in amazement, the man flung the ice to the deck, shouted "Now will you believe it!!!" and went on his way... Well, I made Donald a nice big hunk of ice, so he could do the same to his friend David on the playground before school, the morning of April 15. Yes, David got it!

Pat W.

A

Alex McLean

Recently, a town near by had a performance of Titanic, and I duly applied for a role, which I got (Thomas Andrews). Anyway, I was rehursing a part in the production where I was striding along the deck looking at my pocket watch, clearly implying that everyth9ing was moving too slowly. Not looking where I was going, I walked straight into a lifeboat davit, stumbled backwards and tripped over the lifeboat mount, fell off the side of the ship, landed awkwardly in my arm before yelling a most innapropriate word for 1912.
The producer wasn't impressed, but all she heard was 'Clang! Thud! AHHHHHH! Thud! {explitive}'. I was forgiven, but I doubt I will walk to close to the edge of the deck in future.