Furniture on Titanic

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
According to a recent BBC "Antiques Roadshow" programme, some of the furniture, including a mahogany D-end extending dining table was designed by Gilbert Logan at the cabinet workshops of Harland & Wolff Belfast. The table has banded edges and moulding over a panelled inlaid frieze on four square fluted legs and bulbous feet, and with a winding handle and 2 leaved for extension. Four Hepplewhite style single sided chairs and a pair of Queen Anne style elbow chairs were also designed by Gilbert Logan in Belfast.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As Stanley said, Harland & Wolff were well equipped with cabinet makers to design and build the furnishings as well as the engineering elements of their ships. A notable exception to in-house contruction were the hundreds of 'metallic berths' (steel and brass beds) which were supplied in many variations of quality (from crew accommodation to 1st Class) by the Birmingham-based firm of Hoskins & Sewell. Also the H&W cabinet makers would have used small items like door furnishings (handles, locks etc) bought in from a variety of outside contractors, as were cabin fittings like lamps, switches, fans and heaters.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Of course there was much more. For example all 5 pianos came from Stainway & Son, Germany. The machines in the Gymnasium (and some floor tiles) were also from Germany. 12 of the de luxe suites were fitted out by H.P.Mutters&Zoon from Netherlands. (I guess the book Titanic - The Ship Magnificent Volume 2 is a good source!)

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
I went to Gilbert Logan's website and they have a collection called "Titanic" but when I went to view it, the link did not work. I will try again later.

Thanks

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
"(I guess the book Titanic - The Ship Magnificent Volume 2 is a good source!)"

I agree, from what I have heard the book is amazing. I am saving up for it and I will be getting it soon. I am interested in the wicker chairs used in the reception room, cafe parisien, and the veranda and palm court. I am assuming these were made by Harland and Wolff also. If not, do you know where they came from?

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
"(I guess the book Titanic - The Ship Magnificent Volume 2 is a good source!)"

I agree, from what I have heard the book is amazing. I am saving up for it and I will be getting it soon. I am interested in the wicker chairs used in the reception room, cafe parisien, and the veranda and palm court. I am assuming these were made by Harland and Wolff also. If not, do you know where they came from?

I gave a talk on Oxfordshire & The Titanic last Wednesday was was pleased to discover that a relative of 3rd class passenger Amy Stanley was in the audience. That, howvwr is another story - the main point is, another lady who came to the talk had family links to Northern Ireland, and she said that many of her relatives had been involved with the manufacture of various furnishings for the Olympic and Titanic, the suggestion being that much of the linen and other domestic items had been sourced locally.

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
The linen defiantly came from manufacturers in Belfast. I watched a documentary on this a few years back. They came from all women factories in Belfast or right outside of it. From what I remember they sheets were stripe damask and made from Irish cotton.

cccjjj

Dec 5, 2013
Dose anyone have some good pictures and information about the furniture on Titanic?And what's the style of the furniture on Titanic.I am a freshman this year and I need some help to finish it.I would really appreciate it if anyone could help!

cccjjj

Dec 5, 2013
hmmm,really sorry.I am in China now ,so it's hard to borrow the book from any library .And the book is so expensive that I cant afford it.Could you please recommend some other information?Thnaks a lot!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No organ and no chapel on the Titanic. An organ was made for the Britannic but it was of relatively simple design. This looks more like a theatre or cinema organ.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
To cccjjj: If you can't buy or borrow books there are plenty of photos online for free. Use Google Images with appropriate keywods - 'Titanic' plus 'furnishings', 'staterooms' etc. You might consider buying a copy of Titanic: An Illustrated History by Don Lynch. Lots of large clear photos of rooms and furnishings, and the Amazon marketplace generally has second hand copies very cheap (less than one dollar - you're basically paying for just the postage).