Futility Wreck Of The Titan

M

Mike Shetina

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW LONG T

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW LONG THE BOOK WAS, WHAT THE CHARACTERS WERE LIKE, ETC. I WOULD LIKE TO START A DISCUSSION ON THIS BOOK,
MIKE SHETINA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
And having said there is no ne

And having said there is no need to shout,
wink.gif
I have a copy of FUTILITY (The 1912 re-write) in my copy of Stephen J. Spegnesi's "The Complete Titanic." I've never gotten around to reading it though...simply skimmed through it. From what I've seen, it's more an overgrown short story then it is a novel.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

J

Jemma Hyder

I have it too, but like you Mi

I have it too, but like you Michael I have only ever skimmed it, It would be interesting to see if the coincidences between the two out weigh the differences though, one titanic book has a list of all the coincidences I will have to check which one though.

Thanks

Jemma

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wouldn't get too wrapped

I wouldn't get too wrapped up with the co-incidences. My understanding is that the story was rewritten post-Titanic and the result we have today is very different from the one that was published at the turn of the century. A litrary cooking-of-the-books if you will.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Mike is right about the rewrit

Mike is right about the rewrite but it wasn't extensive. The main changes were to increase the size and power of Titan to make it more like Titanic. There was also a new final paragraph added that changes the ending of the rather corny story.

M

Mike Shetina

Sorry, I was tired and got fed

Sorry, I was tired and got fed up with capitalization. I just got off work and was dead tired. :-!
Sorry

Nov 12, 2000
the very largest differences b

the very largest differences between the fiction and the fact is how the Titan sinks. in the book, the ship the does not collide with an iceberg; it actually steams right up onto a huge, upward sloping ice shelf, the ship then tips over onto its starboard side, crushing all the lifeboats on that side. it then slides back into the ocean and sinks.

of the 16 chapters in the book, only one chapter is about the actual sinking. the entire event takes just a few paragraphs. the rest of the novella is about the morality play Robertson was really trying to tell.

Michael (TheManInBlack) T

R

Riki Jewell

Hi
Pages 45-46 of a book titl

Hi
Pages 45-46 of a book titled "The Riddle of the Titanic" by Robin Gardiner/Dan Van Der Vat actually mention "Futility" and has the list of coincidences.

Regards,
Riki J

S

sharon rutman

This book is an anti-semitic n

This book is an anti-semitic nightmare.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
She's thinking of the carr

She's thinking of the carricature Jew called Meyer in chapters 10 and 11.

Leaving aside its treatment of Meyer, it really is a lousy book of amateur psychology and philosophy. Only Titanic kept it alive and even then it took Cameron's flick to get it reprinted.

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Contact me off the ET message

Contact me off the ET message board and I will send all of you interested (unless there are too many of you :) ) the text of "Futility: Wreck of the Titan" in .mht format, readable by Internet Explorer (size: 192 KB).

Best regards,

Kalman Tanito
A Morgan Robertson fan despite the anti-semitic connotations

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The text Mark has found is the

The text Mark has found is the 1912 version, though the site says the story was published in 1898. At a quick glance, it looks accurate.

S

sharon rutman

Are you guys kidding me? Meye

Are you guys kidding me? Meyer winds up dominating the second half of this pathetic novel. Robertson did that deliberately--the evil Jew had to be vanquished by the righteous gentiles. Jews were an even greater threat than icebergs in Robertson's warped mind.

May 12, 2005
Sharon,

I don't know wh

Sharon,

I don't know why you're so upset. If you understand anything about history, you know that racial and religious and every other kind of intolerance was widespread in those days. Anti-Jewish sentiment and all manner of bigotry are reflected in much of the literature of the time. It may not be forgiveable but it has to be accepted as fact. There's no use bemoaning it now.

Let's just be thankful that these prejudices are no longer as deeply a part of our culture as they were. Discrimination will always be with us and we've got to fight it, of course, but's let's address what we can do about it now. The past can't be justified and it can't be changed. But we can make sure it's not repeated.

Randy