Futrelle family photos and clippings

Mar 20, 2000
Here are some links to pictures and newspaper stories re: Jacques Futrelle and his wife from a site I just found that has been put up by members of the Futrelle family. (The articles, including interviews with May Futrelle in later life, seem out of sequence and incomplete but are still very interesting)

Formal portrait of Futrelle, c. 1911-12

Snapshot of Futrelle at lakehouse, 1908

Assorted Titanic-related articles re: the Futrelles, c. 1950s-60s

I'll put the rest in a follow up post.

Randy

Mar 20, 2000
Mrs. Futrelle's accounts of her escape show she was at least at one point during the evacuation on the forward port side of the boat deck (she claims she witnessed boat 6's launch and recalls Senora Penasco's hysterics), which would tend to reinforce the belief that she left in one of the forward port boats.

However, though her recollection of being in one of the last boats makes a case for boats 2 or D, her desciption of a jerky descent puts one in mind of what happened in lowering some of the forward starboard boats, like 5 or 7.

With such conflicting details it is easy to see why Mrs. Futrelle has never been with real certainty assigned by the experts to any boat. (I believe some accounts have her in boats 9 and 16 even; who knows, huh?).

Randy

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Randy:
In one of her accounts she specifically mentions Jane Hoyt and Rene Harris being in the area of the boat she was in. And that Rene and Maybelle Thorne was in her boat. So odds are she was in D.
Mike Findlay actually had a very good theory. Remember Walter lord said a woman at boat 8 said
( and hopefully Walter didn't make this up like he did with other things to advance the story )
" I've forgotten Jack's picture and must have it ". And she ran below. Which would make sense as she says she witnessed Pepita Penasco hysterics at boat 8.

Mar 20, 2000
Mike,

I'd forgotten that bit about "Jack." Great point. & I never knew she specified Mrs. Harris & others in boat D. Well, then, there we have it. Why then I wonder the rumors she went in 9 for instance?

Randy

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Randy,

Thanks for those links!
I would place May Futrelle in col. D. I'm confused as to why Rene Harris made no mention of May Futrelle in regards to the boat. The only people Rene apparently observed near the boat were the Strauses and her husband, although she later told Leila Meyer that she had seen Edgar Meyer, Henry Harris and Walter Douglas loading "the last boat" i.e HER boat, col D.

Just some ideas

Regards
Ben

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Mike,

Glad to see you back!

Walter Lord actually stated that May Futrelle told him that story about retrieving Jack's picture. She related the details as if she witnessed this incident but Walter still believes that it was May herself who uttered those words to delay her being separated from her husband at boat no. 8. Walter was very fond of May Futrelle but even he recognized that her story was very confusing. He had access to her 1912 accounts and they differed greatly from her interviews in the 1950's. Walter's solution: leave the Futrelles out of "A Night to Remember." He also jokingly told me that he feared either May Futrelle or Edith Russell would sue him if he uttered a mistruth about either one of them in his book. Fortunately for him, Edith Russell (bless her) approved.
happy.gif

Best,

Mike

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hey Mike:
Glad to be back. Check your email.
Actually in one account, Rene made of point near the end she was with her 'group'. So 'group' could mean May and Maybelle. I got the impression the three of them palled around during the voyage. I could be wrong.
Mike