Future Refits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Considering Cunard has already invested more money than she is actually worth in numerous refits over the years, what sort of future refitting of the ship does anyone think will happen (if any at all?). I guess it would all depend on how long Cunard would plan to keep the ship in service. If she is only to be at sea another ten to fifteen years, then it would not be cost effective to do any significant design changes to the ship herself. Although personally I would reconfigure some of the public rooms, and give it an overall design scheme that is cohesive throughout the ship. Too many refits over the years have left some of the interiors looking rather odd and mismatched. Tying all the spaces together as on the QM2 would be ideal. An improved QM2, on a smaller scale.

If Cunard would to keep her in service for another 20-30 years, a major refit would be needed. Perhaps including an entire new superstructure to better incorporate the balcony suites that were added in the 1970's, but still keep the same graceful profile that we see today. Inside, all of the staircases and elevators would be accessible on all floors. All of the design problems created during construction when shifting the ship from a 3 class ship to more or less a one class ship could be solved. It would probably be more economical to just retire her at that point and build the QE3 to replace her. Although who knows what Cunard will do considering all the money they have already invested. Seeing the sudden resurgence in cruising, as well as the resurgence in historic ocean liners, I can see Cunard using the whole "Golden age of ocean liners" as a great money making gimmick.

Your thoughts? I would be very interested to read what some of you have to say.
happy.gif

Best regards.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Honestly, I think that the QE2 is going to be retired and probably a lot sooner then later. Even with lavish care and upgrades, a hull has only so much useful service life to play with before the upkeep becomes more trouble then it's worth.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I tend to agree with you, and I think that Cunard will do a newbuild of a QE3. That way, the marketing and passenger attractions will almost take care of themselves.

What worries me most is how much say Head Office will have. They don't need another QV.

But if they did, and it bombed, it's easier to switch those to other lines, such as P&O or HAL.

Given the amount of newbuilds that HAL has had over the past few years, it makes me wonder how much dedication that Carnival actually has to both Cunard and P&O. They seem to be concentrating their builds in other lines. Both Cunard and P&O could use 2 more ships each.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 18, 2003
New Jersey,USA
I do have on video casette a documentary about the history of the great transatlantic liners that was filmed in 1996.The QE2 is also in this documentary in which she is referred to as the last of the great transatlantic liners.The captain of the QE2 who was in this documentary did say in this documentary that the hull of the QE2 was then in 1996 a 27 year old hull and that the hull is so well built that it could last for another 27 years after 1996.I can not remember which QE2 captain was in this documentary since in the history of the QE2 she has had so many captains and this documentary was filmed about 2 years before Carnival Corporation bought the Cunard Line and announced plans to build the QM2.Anyway I still think that the QE2 will remain in service until 2015 or 2016.

Aidan Bowe

May 22, 2004
It might be a point of interest but Her Majesty the Queen is reported to visit the Clyde later this year to commemorate 40 years since she launched the QE2.Should generate a lot of renewed interest in the great ship.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
What exactly is SOLAS requiring in ships that QE2 does not have? What specifically is so drastic that would require major refitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.