Futzing around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
A reject from the web site I'm trying to get done.

90062.jpg

Click here for a larger image (1600px wide)

This was a schematic for modeling the "Super-Normandie" from the Normandie model I had already finished. Unfortunately couldn't find the time. This was as far as I got.

Searched the web, found interesting re-creations of the Oceanic and Vaterland(II), but none of the Normandie's successor. Don't even know if there are blueprints still existing for this ship. Don't know yet who I would write to in France.

Jun 11, 2000
Doesn't she look lovely. There is only one ship in the world I have ever really wished I could have sailed on - and that is the Normandie. So many of the others, including (especially!) the QM2 seem a hotchpotch of styles - I suppose because they have so much space to fill they think they should 'theme' things (ghastly idea). But the Normandie was herself all through, seamlessly - sheer style and class. And Josephine Baker was aboard....
Where's her little 'foot', though, at the front?

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
That's unfortunate, from an aesthetic point of view, given that the Vaterland would have been a squat, dumpy frauchen of a ship.

From where were you given this recollection? I only have the Ardman book to go by.

Monica, what little foot?

Jul 9, 2004
Love those! They're gorgeous.
happy.gif

I've heard that Normandie's successor was to be called Bretagne also... I don't remember where I heard it though.

You've done a lovely job on both... but I still prefer Normandie. If Bretagne (I'll call it that for now) had been built, I hope it would have had some resemblance to Normandie... otherwise it would have been like Ile de France on steroids. lol.

I just asked my brother, who told me about Bretagne... and he read about it on The Great Ocean Liners website... in their "Intended Giants" article... I don't know where their source for that was.

The two would have been like Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth - one larger than the other, but both stylistically similar... if not the same

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
I was wondering if anyone still had the picture linked to above. The link is no longer working and I would be very interested in the larger version of it.

Also, I emailed the original poster, and got a failure notice.

If any of you have this picture, please let me know. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks again,
John

Mar 13, 2006
this for Tom Lear
I have three books on German Passenger liner
and I have two Model of the Vaterland II and the is not have been squat or dumpy or frauchen
I do not like the way talk about the Ship like
some unclean, I have many photos of the vateland II being launched in 1940 and one is where she hit the Battleship Bismarck stern and did some damage to the bb stern

Status
Not open for further replies.