Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi y'all!

A while ago, I watched "Deep Inside Titanic (1999) and they showed some great imagery. One part of the footage showed the Rotting Sorting table, and in the right half, a gate. Here is a picture I took
Mail Room sorting table and gate.png

What was it for? I think the narrator said it separated the First Class baggage or something. Or he said something about the Third Class and being behind gates. What is the real purpose of it?

Thank you :)

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
Hello Cam,

That exact gate was referred to as the "lattice work gate". It could be found in the post office on G-deck and separated the area fro registered letters from the rest of the post office.

I hope this might helps you.

Yours sincerly,

Thomas

Reactions: 1 users

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
Speaking of the mail room, i recently found this image of the postal employees on board Titanic.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there aren't many images of these men at work.
In fact this may be the only one, known.
Anyway, I found it very interesting.
Hope that you enjoy it.
Bill
Titanic postal workers.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
1610114303252.png

Here is the same picture in a higher quality. The post office seen in the picture doesn't match the Titanic her post office I am afraid to report in terms of layout. In the corner of the post office there only was one letter case.

Reactions: 1 users

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
There was no access to any passenger area from the mail or post rooms ,it is a bit annoying when this insinuation is made by the documentary makers about the gate , when all they need do is check the ships deck plans.

Reactions: 2 users