Gates?

J

Jack Dawson

Hi, Olaus was on F deck, section G. His cabin, #63 is located at the forward end G-section, on the starboard side.

See the squash court on F-deck? Just aft of it is a bulkhead that runs from across the ship, that is a watertight bulkhead. Everything forward of that bulkhead (on the squash court side) is section E, just aft of that bulkhead is section G. Olaus's cabin is right on that watertight bulkhead, the second cabin in from the starboard hull. Remember that he did not go up to the forward well deck as Daniel did, but used Scotland road and later came out on the aft well deck.

Aug 31, 2015
Where he was stopped near another little gate which prevent passengers from going to second class on B Deck? And on plan that gate isn't I think but was there finally?

I meant here. View attachment 1619

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jack Dawson

Hi, your picture attachment doesn't work for me?

I think the gate you are asking about is one of two on the aft end of B deck. There were three stairs leading up to B deck from both of the well decks. One was in the forward well deck up to B deck (that was the one Daniel climbed), and the other two were on the aft well deck. Pretend we are on the aft well deck right now, turn so that you are facing the bow. In front of you are the two aft well deck cargo cranes just in front of B deck. Next to each crane there are stairs leading up to B deck. At the top of those stairs are small metal gates (they look about like the railings do). The gates do not show on the plans, but they were there. One of those two stairs (with the gates just like the one from the forward well deck up to B deck) would be the one you are asking about I think.

Actually, if you have the extended version of Cameron's movie you can one of those aft well deck gates briefly. You know when they show Jack hopping the rail up to A deck and 'borrowing' the Ryerson coat? Well there was a deleted scene in that sequence. Jack didn't just hop that rail himself; friend Fabrizio and Tommy gave a push up to the next deck. As soon as he makes it to A deck an officer down on B decks sees Fabrizio and Tommy standing where they boosted Jack up to A deck and runs them off; he then closes the gate on the stairs which lead from B deck to the aft well deck.

J

Jack Dawson

Hi, I don't know that that gate actually existed. It was probably there to emphasize the fact they entered 2nd class. The closest place I can think of that resembles that area, would be 2nd Class stairs on E Deck. If you walked forward from Third Class (section Q on E Deck) via Scotland road, there were some emergency doors that opened from the 2nd Class stairs into Scotland road. But I think those were full doors..

B Deck (if I understand your previous question about B-Deck?) had nothing like that gate around the 2nd Class entrance that I am aware of. For myself, I think the most direct route from the aft Third Class cabins would be to go up the stairs of the 3rd Class entrance, and then walk out into the aft well deck. From there you could walk up the stairs (ladders as they were called) leading up to B deck from the well deck. Then just walk into the 2nd Class entrance and exit on the boat deck. Of course that assumes all the doors and gates were unlocked, and no one was there to me from going through them.

Aug 31, 2015
Hi we discussed B Deck Barriers etc. I have another Question about Second Class AFT Stairwell. The one I mean was from B Deck to F/G Deck. I mean From B Deck to F Deck it was second Class. From F Deck to G Deck it leads into Steerage. I am curious, on plan there are no barriers. I don't believe they leave this place without some barrier. Steerage Passengers could go from G Deck to F Deck in Second Class. Výstřižek.jpg

Výstřižek.jpg

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
That's F Deck. That part of the ship is 2nd Class. The staircase in the middle there is a 2nd class staircase, and all the staterooms around it are 2nd class. The watertight bulkhead aft separates it from 3rd class. On E deck there is a wall with an emergency door which separates 3rd class (port) from 2nd class (center and starboard)

The staircase to the port side (above it) is entirely separate. It's basically in a tube or shaft which separates it from 2nd class. That port staircase allows 3rd class passengers to move from E deck to G deck, but they can't get off on F deck.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
I don't see it on the plans, but I assume there was a gate there. Everywhere else was gates or doors, and it wouldn't make sense to not have one there.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
It is possible that there were 2 stairways as depicted by Cameron with full-height grill gates at the top [or bottom] of them. Which stairway would have been blocked off would depend if rooms G-1 to G-40 were part of 3rd Class or part of 2nd Class.
I understand it's been long since you've said this, but I wanted to bring it up. Polish passenger Berk Pickard Trembisky claimed to have occupied G-10 (in this alternative 2nd/3rd class area) so it is most likely that the 2nd Class Stairwell was blocked. At first, when he talked of simply opening a door to second class, I thought he was referring to an interior place, like what I mentioned, but It cant be right because the stewards blocked them apparently from returning from the cabins down there, so I now assume its a door to the promenade, because he claims to have reached the boat deck.

Max

Jan 1, 2018
So I checked the plans and I saw that in E deck there were some bostwick gates in some stairs. I don't really know if this gates preventing people from going from E to D or from F to E but in any case they'd be pretty useless. In case they stopped people from E to D deck, there were 2 other staircaises leadind to D deck wich apparently had no bostwick gates so if one was closed they could have gone up the 2 others.

39266-3cf7f218699700624f7dc7473be70272.png
39265-c985f13b61218416e7355358f3b0fcf0.png

If instead the bostwick gates where between E and F decks, they were useless anyway as people could go through waterthight door C and go up the stairs again to E deck. This bostwick door would have only orevented people from going up if the waterthight had been close but sincerely, I don't see any reaseon why people in that special section would've had to be closed in there.

39265-c985f13b61218416e7355358f3b0fcf0.png
39268-1fa3fba690c70597dcbb649196602b1b.png

PD: I hope you understand waht I mean cause 1: Its something hard to explain and ": I'm not an english native speaker so...

PPD: Thank you'll

titanic 1.png

titanic d deck.png

titanic 1.png

f deck.png

Alex Kiehl

Aug 1, 2006
Say folks, it just occurred to me. Did we ever determine the total number of gates and doors that separated 3rd Class form 2nd?
Also, was there a seaman or steward standing guard at each of them during the sinking? Thanks.