Gavin Murphy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gavin Murphy

Hello everybody. My name is Gavin Murphy and I live in Canada. I hope I have it right this time. If my good mate Geoff Whitfield can do it, so can I. I have been meaning to get involved for ages, so here I am at long last.

I have been a liner enthusiast for about 4 decades. I was on an earlier Titanic chat site about 5 years ago and enjoyed it v. much. Remember George B? In real life I am a lawyer. Yes, there is more to life than liners.......I think?!?!?!

I have recently had published, as a fundraising initiative of the Nepean Museum here in Ottawa, Canada, a 22 page booklet on Titanic victim Charles Melville Hays. It features many rare and never before seen pics. I have been a student of Hays for years. More details on this project can be found on the museum website at www.nepeanmuseum.on.ca Also a 1992 potted version of the paper is on that site, as well as a recent paper of mine on the Empress of Ireland. There are links to this site from the Irish Titanic Historical Society. (Thanx Noel.) The Empress paper features a never before seen photo of the ship, a world exclusive, etc. It comes from a glass plate negative a friend of mine owns. Remember David Z we talked about that in Montreal?

I have given Titanic presentations in Canada, USA, UK and Ukraine. Many of these initiatives have been successful fundraising ventures. But yes, Donetsk, Ukraine. Funny, the next day in Kiev, Ukraine, I saw on the wall of a pub the Titanic's wheel. Geoff, do you reckon it is the real one?

Glad to be aboard, etc. Regards.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Nice to see you here, Gavin -- it's been ages! I hope all is well with you and your family.

Take care, old chap. :)

All my best,

George

G

Gavin Murphy

Thanx George, great to be back in the fold as it were. I trust all is well with you and thank you for your kind comments.

I gather you have been a "busy bugger" of late in the T. field. Take that phrase as a compliment. It is the one used by King George V when he gave WWI flying ace Billy Bishop the Victoria Cross in 1916 who, incidentally, is my wife's grandfather....Bishop that is.

PS Weigh in Bob D of Houston, here's your chance....Bishop and T, it doesn't get much better than that.

G

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Gavin:
Where do we send our money to get your Charles M. Hays biography? I'm interested in discovering whether he actually ever set foot in California. Larry Lowenthal's book "Titanic Railroad...." insinuates that he might have in 1901 when he was briefly associated with the Southern Pacific. BTW, I'd like to buy your pamphlet one way or the other.
Mike Herbold
California

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to wish you welcome aboard, sir. I look forward to your posts. You have me a bit curious now, tho'. Who is Bob D of Houston?

Best regards,
Cook

G

Gavin Murphy

Hi Mike. Bingo! First internet sale. Bulk sale today to the Chateau Laurier, hotel in Ottawa, that Hays built and was coming back on T to open, so the world is unfolding the way it should. Go to the Nepean Museum website and there is an address to send away to, or mail me $6 US and I will send you one....autographing comes free! Hays only stayed at the SP for a cup of coffee as they say. But hard to believe if he worked in that part of the world, he wasn't there. Also, some family relatives still live there....Hallors I belive off the top of my head. Apologies if name is wrong.

Regardless, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will give you an address to mail to for it.

Thank you for your kind comments. BTW, your name is familiar. Should I (do I) know you?

Regards,

G

G

Gavin Murphy

Dear Cook,

Thanx for welcome. I think you are a male, but I am not sure. Pls. confirm. Anyway, I have at least a 50% chance of getting it right.

Who is Bob D of Houston?? Why Bob Daugherty of course. Cracking chap. Does lots of taping for me too. Lived in Canada and is a Titanic and Billy Bishop enthusiast. I suppose you could say we are e-mail pen pals. Never actually me him. Hope to get to Houston to see him one of these days. Time will tell.

Where do you live, etc.?

Regards,

G

Sep 12, 2000
Welcome Gavin!

Alas we have tried very hard to turn the Cookster's 6 ft plus bearded self into Rosie the Riveteer along with Sean Connery, but neither worked. But we love him anyway.

I have read some of your posts and look forward to reading more. Hopefully we will meet someday.

And if you like Cheesecake, I have posted a recipe under my thread just in time for the holidays.

Would it be a problem to contact you for that address to get your book as well?

Enjoy your day and welcome!
Maureen.

G

Gavin Murphy

M,

Hi! Absolutely not. I would be chuffed if you wanted one. Or, as they say in the Great White North, pleased to send you one (and anyone else out there). I am currently writing a book on the Federal Legislative Process in Canada. Do you want a copy of that too?? :)

I think the cheesecake recipe sounds good too. But oh, those calories.........

Thanx for your kind comments. I hope we do meet up sometime too. I'm often on the T circuit. Where do you live, etc.

Regards,

G

Sep 12, 2000
You know that Federal Legislative Process may not be such a bad idea. In my country where I live we hold elections with no results....until the spring thaw. (giggles!)

Born in Wisconsin. Have lived a lot of places, but presently I work in Washington DC of the US and live in Northern Virginia. My intro thread has some details of where I am from etc.

There are no calories in the cheesecake if you eat it standing up....and if you believe me on that...I have a swamp in Florida and a bridge in London I can sell you...and I'll throw in some genuine authentic Titanic resin deck chairs with the Kmart tags still on them.

Enjoy your day!
Maureen.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi Gavin,

As Mo mentioned, I am male, albeit a rather large one. And, as you may have guessed, I ALSO live in Houston so that's why the interest in Bob D. Always on the lookout for local Titanic researchers. I don't believe I've met Bob, either through email or on a forum, tho'.

Anyway, glad to have you with us, sir

Best regards,
Cook

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Gavin,

Welcome aboard! I see you live in Ottawa. I live in Toronto, so were not to far away from each other. I'm interested in getting your book as well. Would you mind it if I e-mailed you for the address?

Good to hear from you and I'm looking forward to more of your posts.

Best regards,

Jason

G

Gavin Murphy

Jason,

Of course not. I would, and so would the Nepean Museum, be happy to send you a copy. You can e-mail me and we will take from there.

I get to TO quite a bit on business....too bad about the Buds, but watch out for the Sens!

Best regards,

G

Status
Not open for further replies.