Gay passengers and crew members on Titanic

Feb 14, 2011
Do we know of any gay individuals amongst Titanic's passenger or crew compliment? I realize that gays were less apt to come out in 1912 than they are in 2007, but I am still curious if there was anyone on Titanic that we know was gay.
Many Titanic buffs happen to be gay, so it would be interesting to know if any of the Titanic passengers & crew that are researched were also gay..

T

Timothy Trower

Yeah, I'm not up on Latin, so sorry for the mistake. And with something like three pages of information and speculation on the thread that I referred Tarn over to, I figured that there was no real reason to re-invent the wheel.

But please do remember that if you are going to quote text from another post, even if spelled incorrectly, you do not also change things such as capitalization. ("ad" as compared to "Ad".) It is much more simple to quote the original text and add (sic) to the quote. Otherwise you risk loosing the point of a mis-spelled word, especially if it is in a foreign or dead language.

T

Timothy Trower

Not when you are changing a direct quote. To avoid this, you begin the sentence with another word followed by the direct quote. Likewise, if you are to start a sentence with a number, it is to be spelled out. One other notable exception is a Trade name such as eBay which should never be spelled as EBay or Ebay.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Ah, but it is not a direct quote- it is a simple correction. There are no quote marks around what Jim wrote. Otherwise, if it were a direct quote, it would say, Tim Trower writes, ".."

T

Timothy Trower

Sure, and I could go back and edit and make people wonder what you are trying to create now. But I don't think you are worth the bother. As I mentioned on a now deleted Titanic Branson thread I'm not going to respond to you. I wish I had thought of that a few posts ago.

If you want to talk Titanic, fine. If you look only for argument, then bug off.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Ad te clamamus
Ad te suspiramus gementes et flentes
O clemens o pia
happy.gif

>And with something like three pages of information and speculation on the thread that I referred Tarn over to, I figured that there was no real reason to re-invent the wheel.

It was the term ad nauseum that raised an eyebrow on my part. There may not have been a reason for Tarn to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, but then there was no reason for you to introduce that particular dismissive term either, since 'extensively' would have done just as well. I was, frankly, having fun with the fact that you could not properly spell the term with which you were dismissing both Tarn and a subject which many have found interesting rather than nauseating. In short, nihil sub sole novum nec valet quisquam dicere ecce hoc recens est iam enim praecessit in saeculis quae fuerunt ante nos
happy.gif

And I say that not in the spirit of

idcirco ubi immolatur holocaustum mactabitur et victima pro delicto sanguis eius per gyrum fundetur altaris.
happy.gif

I sincerely mean it!

quae risit occulte dicens postquam consenui et dominus meus vetulus est voluptati operam dabo

Peace,
Jim

May 27, 2007
I love Latin. Of course I'm a medieval freak too. Among my other interests. In the Twelfth century they had their own Titanic called the White Ship in English. I'm gonna start a topic on it if anyone wants to read the story do a search. It's Interesting stuff. It had as great an impact on the 12th century as the Titanic on the 20th Century. Sorry to go off topic. It was the Latin. Now back to topic.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
My own motto,

Audio, video, disco

although sometimes I lean towards:

Aut insanit homo, aut versus facit

and one final remark about the remarks that started this:

Cuivis dolori remedium est patientia
happy.gif

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Can't resist; sorry.

Here's the only bit of Latin I ever learned:
quote:

Centurion: What is this then? Romanes eunt domus, "People called Romanes they go the house"?
Brian: It-it says, "Romans, go home"!
Centurion: No, it doesn't! What's Latin for "Roman"? [grabs Brian's ear] Come on, come on!
Brian: Romanus!
Centurion: Goes like?
Brian: Annus!
Centurion: Vocative plural of annus is...?
Brian: Anni?
Centurion: [writes] Romani. And eunt? What is eunt?
Brian: "Go"! Let-
Centurion: Conjugate the verb "to go".
Brian: Ire; eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt!
Centurion: So eunt is...?
Brian: Third person plural, present indicative. "They go!"
Centurion: But "Romans, go home" is an order, so you must use the...?
Brian: The... imperative!
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: I!
Centurion: [twisting Brian's ear] How many Romans?
Brian: [yelling] I.. Plural, plural! Ite, ite!
Centurion: [writing] Ite. Domus? Nominative? But "go home", it is motion towards, isn't it, boy?
Brian: Dative, sir!
[The centurion promptly draws his swords and presses it against Brian's throat. Brian yells:]
No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! The... accusative, accusative! Domum, sir, ad domum!
Centurion: Except that domus takes the...?
Brian: The locative, sir!
Centurion: Which is?
Brian: Domum!
Centurion: [writing] Domum... -um [sheathing his sword] Understand?
[Brian nods eagerly]
Now, write it out a hundred times!
Brian: Yes, sir, thank you, sir! Hail Caesar!
Centurion: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your b***s off!
Brian: Oh, thank you, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar and everything, sir!