Genealogy tracking parentage of Titanic people in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Do you know how you can acquire the names of the parents of people resident in the United Kingdom?

It is my understanding that by ordering a death certificate, you will only learn the person's full name, last residence and cause of death.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Kalman

Chris Dohany

Dec 12, 1999
Most death certificates in the UK unfortunately do not contain parental info. Among the ways of finding said information are birth records, of course, and census records (if the individual was born prior to 1901, the latest UK census released). Death notices and gravestones occasionally name an individual's parents as well.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Another good place to check out would be the obituaries contained in the newspapers along with the death notices that Tracy mentioned. Sometimes they're not all that revealing, but sometimes, they may tell you more then you ever wanted to know.

Jul 12, 2003
Geneaolgy...one of my favorite topics and hobbies (besides the Titanic).

My family research has taken be back many generations and there is an abundance of resources to gather information.

Kalman, are you seeking the paternal or maternal parents of an individual? If it is a woman's parents you are seeking and she is married, you will need her maiden name and may have to get a marriage certificate (or other vital record) to get her maiden name (if you don't know it). Are you seeking the parents of a Titanic passenger? If so, do you know what country they originated from?

1. You could take a look at any number of genealogical sites where you may discover someone else researching a branch of your same tree--try familysearch.org, ancestry.com or rootsweb.com to start.

2. You could post queries on message boards...both the rootsweb and ancestry sites above have them. You cold also try genforum.com, genealogy.com, familyhistory.com, genswap.com...there many others too. And when someone posts an answer to you query, you will get notification via your own e-mail.

3. If you can locate an obituary, you will probably be able to get the name of the church and/or funeral home that handled the services. Write to them and ask for funeral and/or burial records. You will find a lot of info in those records. Ask for copies and always offer to pay for copying costs.

If you only have a death date and city, contact all the papers of that city for starters and see if they have any obits.

4. Another place to look for info on a family name is a local Historical Society.

5. Go to the Family History Center (FHC) which will be located in any Mormon Church. They have access to records from all over the world and people there who can help with research.

6. Assuming that you are researching the parentage of a passenger who died in the sinking, you might want to consider using a sibling (if he/she had any and they weren't on the ship) to find the parents. It might be easier as far as vital records are concerned because a death certificate, obit, etc. will probably exist. I don't know if any official documents were created for the demise of the passengers of the Titanic.

7. A very good (and large site) is cyndislist.com. She has created a genealogy site that practically encompasses all others. She gives addresses o where to obtain info.

There are so many other places to search. And the more info you have, the better luck you will have because it narrows down the search avenues. If you tell me what you have, maybe I can help or at least give you ideas where else to search.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Deborah provides many words of wisdom. I would add that this sort of thing is hard to do from a distance. In Britain, many records are held in churches. If they have survived the various wars, they can provide amazing things. My half-uncle, who is crazy about genealogy, has traced my ancestors back practically to the original family tree, largely from church records. He was lucky, in that the family did not move about much over several centuries. With a lot of footwork, time and money, he was able to find hundreds of records. Funny how he's never found any unclaimed millions!

Tim Cole

May 31, 2007
I'm looking for help to research Capt. Arthur Rostron's (Carpathia's Capt.) geneology in England. My ancestors are Rostron from Lancashire, England. I'm looking for a link to my family tree if it exists. For those that may have read Capt. Rostron's autobiography - any names of relatives provided there?

Thanks much!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Tim, see the two posts above.

The way to do this is to work backwards from yourself. That way, you go from the known to the unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.