General Administrative Stuff

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, all---

Over the past several weeks the moderators have had to spend an inordinate amount of time moving messages that seem to have been plopped just anywhere...especially into "General Titanica"---to the specific topic or existing thread where they belong. Please take the time to review the Board index before posting a message to make sure it's being posted where it belongs. Repeated posting of messages in inappropriate locations or duplicating existing threads may result in messages simply being removed rather than relocated.

Thanks.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
FYI, within the past fifteen hours or so two new threads have been deleted for duplicating existing threads.

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
Phillip Hind

I wondered if anyone has any information as to a way to contact Phillip Hind, an email address or something, or if anyone could inform me as to the rules of copyrighting a text
i would greatly appreciate it
Cheers Guys
Matteo :)

[Moderator's note: This message was moved here from "General Titanica." MAB]

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Matteo, you can contact Phil by using the "Contact Us" link that appears at the bottom of every page of this message board.

What exactly do you want to know about "copyrighting a text?"

Last edited:

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
Cheers Mark, i'll use that

basically i'm working on writing a book about the crew of the Titanic and i use this site and multiple other sites and books etc for information. now a lot of the stuff on this site i can see being good stuff to use as it is the most detailed i can find, i don't copy word for word but obviously some of the things use do coincide with what is written but again not words for word as i do of course rephrase things and skip things out as well as combine it with other information i have. i was just wondering if this was ok by Phil.

one other thing, i have only just read your previous posts about the use of your real first name, now i use Matteo as it is the name i am called by most of my family, except for my parents and also by all of my friends, some of my school teachers, the Italian side of my family etc. i just wanted to check if it is ok for me to stick with the name Matteo but i would be fine about changing it to Matthew, which is my birth name, if it is a concern at all
Cheers Mark :)

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I 'm sure nobody would demand that you call yourself Matthew rather than Matteo, any more than those of us who are known here as Bob, Dave, Jim etc would be expected to formalise our user-names to Robert, David or James.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, folks---

Some requests from the moderators:

1. Please be judicious in using the "General Titanica" topic. Messages that are properly addressed in other topics should be posted to that topic, and not to "General Titanica." Passenger information, for example, should be addressed in the appropriate thread in the "Passenger Research" topic, not in GT. Over the past month, many messages have been posted to GT (and some to "Off Topic," for that matter), which properly belong elsewhere; some have been moved to the appropriate topic, while others have been deleted (especially messages posted by folks with whom the issue has been addressed privately). Please us the Board index and the Search function to determine the appropriate thread for new messages.

2. Please also don't start new threads to address issues that are already the subject of an existing thread. Again, use the index and Search function to locate existing threads about the subject you're posting about.

3. There's rarely a need to quote back the entire message that you're responding to. Especially if you're answering a short message that immediately precedes your response, there's usually no need to quote anything back. If you're responding to only a part of a longer message, please cut and paste the part you're responding to rather than quote back the whole thing. Unnecessary lengthy quote backs make it difficult to follow a discussion and adversely affects members with slower internet connections since the page takes longer to load if there's a lot of unnecessary material on it.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
That's up to you, TitanicNerd. Up until a couple of years ago, real names were required, but Phil Hind later relaxed that requirement; real names are still preferred, but are no longer required. Many members believe that using his/her real name lends credibility to a member's messages and some will not interact with someone using a screen name.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, all---

In recent weeks hundreds of spam messages have been posted here. Most of them have been caught before being exposed to public view, but a few have not.

Please don't respond in any fashion to these messages. You can report them to the moderators (who, experience teaches, will likely already have seen and removed them) but responding to them in any way serves no useful purpose.

Thanks.

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hello all (long time, no speak).

I knew joining ET would make my fortune. And now, thanks to this community, I am about to be $22.2m richer! This is the wonderful PM I've just received:

This is a message from ltjack at Titanic Forum and Community : Encyclopedia Titanica ( https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/forums/forum.php ). The Titanic Forum and Community : Encyclopedia Titanica owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email ltjack, you can use this online form:
Deleted

OR, by email:
mailto:[Deleted]

This is the message:

Dear Friend, how are you

I am Sgt.Jackson Wood a war veteran with the United Nations troop in Libya, on war against terrorism. I served in the 1st Armored Division in Tripoli. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from Iraq. I have been redeployed to come and work in Libya on the platform of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on the war against terrorism.

On the other hand, I want to inform you that I and my partner (Trooper James Anthony Leverett) have the sum of 22.2 million USD, which we got from a crude oil deal in Iraq before he was killed by an explosion while on a vehicle patrol. Due to this incident, I want you to receive these funds on my behalf as far as I can be assured that my share will be safe in your care until I complete my service here Libya and come over to meet with you.

Since we are working here on an Official capacity, I cannot keep these funds hence my contacting you.

I guarantee and ensure you that this is a risk free deal. I want you to know that we have successfully moved these funds as consignment, out to Europe with the help of a Red Cross agent.

I just need your acceptance to help me receive these funds and all is done. Since the death of my partner, my life is not guaranteed here anymore, so I have decided to share these funds with a reliable and trusted person than the funds lodging in the bank for no interest.I want you to tell me how much you will take from this money for the assistance you will give to me. One passionate appeal I will make to you is not to discuss this matter with anybody, should you have reasons to reject this offer, please and please destroy this message as any leakage of this information will be too bad for us as soldiers here in Libya.

I do not know how long we will remain here, and I have been shot, wounded and survived so many suicide bomb attacks thankfully, this and other reasons I will mention later have prompted me to reach out for help, I honestly want this matter to be resolved immediately,

please contact me as soon as possible on my e-mail address Have a nice day.

Regards,

Sgt.Jackson Wood

Reply to my email: Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Paul, the good sergeant---who has just been demoted from Registered User to Banned User---seems to have quite a bit of spare change...I received the same PM from him.

P.S. I've removed his contact info from your message for obvious reasons.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Paul, it's time you learned to trust people. I, for instance, have won £12m in the lottery but before I can collect it I need to buy a bus ticket to get to Lottery HQ in London. Can you span me a tenner? I will gladly repay you once I've got the twelve mill.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Bob, if you need help spending that money after you pay Paul back, we could start approving some of the hundreds of spam messages that we've been rejecting every day lately. Handbags, prescription drugs, made-to-order brides, sunglasses, you name it.

Or, you could just send it to Phil.

;-)

Happy New Year.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, all---

This is just a reminder (see message #154) not to respond to obvious spam messages. Please leave it to the moderators to address.

Thanks.