General Slocum 100th Anniversary

T

Trent Pheifer

Hello All,

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone was planning on attending the the events in New York City to mark 100th Anniversary of the General Slocum Disaster. The memorial events are falling on June 12 and 13 2004. Here is some more information:

http://www.general-slocum.com/0society.htm

I am about 90% sure I am going. I was thinking maybe we could also get together and visit the Titanic sites around town: the lighthouse, Macy's, Pier 54, old WSL offices etc. I was just curious if anyone was going and would be interested. Thanks.

-Trent

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Trent- I will be there for at least part of the ceremony, and , depending on how much time I can get off from work, the Titanic tour sounds like a winner of an idea.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Jim,

It would be great to finally meet you, right now I am looking up Titanic spots to visit. Did you get the email about the General Slocum boat trip? Are you planning on going on that?

-Trent

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
No, I did not hear about the General Slocum boat trip. However, I have retraced the Slocum's final voyage several times, and it really is an eye opener to see the distance travelled between the point where the fire first became known to North Brother Island, so if that is what the boat trip consists of I would recommend it! I would also recommend going to the former Haas residence which is literally unchanged from 1904 (except for the boutique in the basement) as is 90% of the block in which it stands- perhaps the best preserved slice of "Little Germany." St. Marks Church, now a synagogue is also externally unchanged right down to the iron fence visible in the background of several of the confirmation photos of victims which ran in the papers after the disaster. The Slocum memorial font in Tompkins Square was restored a while back but is fairly mundane. The site of the Charities Department pier, where the Slocum victims (and later those of the Triangle Fire) were laid out for ID purposes affords a great view, but there is nothing left of that unhappy complex.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey just an update...

The boat retracing the Slocum's last trip is going to be Saturday June 12. It is leaving South Street Seaport at 9 am. Tickets are $35 and have to be preordered. A continental breakfast will be served on board. Hope some of you can make it, maybe you will be in the city b/c of the Titanic Auction on the 10th.

-Trent