General Stuff

Tamie Pilling

Oct 19, 2007
I am a new member here. Lots of stuff to read and it is all very fascinating. I am keeping an eye on the 2012 Memorial crossing information to see if it is legitimate or not. I am glad to read various opinions on it so I can be better informed.

I can't begin to read all of the information this website has right now but I am looking forward to sitting down and getting through it. One idea I had pertains to the decaying wreck. I thought it might be a good idea, if it were possible, to leave some sort of sensor on the wreck that would record any big movements or, as I believe will happen, a massive pancake collapse one of these days. They have sizemic (sp) sensors that measure volcanic activity, why not monitor the Titanic so we will no if/when the end comes. Just a thought.

Bye for now.
Tamie

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The idea of leaving a virtual presence on the wreck by way of a camera system has been mooted on several occasions over the years by Dr. Ballard. In principle, I like the idea. The problem here would be maintainance which from a distance is quite impractical at the current state of the art. I would hope that would change, but somebody needs to come up with equipment which is a helluva lot more robust.

Sensors wouldn't be quite as problematic. Underwater sonar nets have existed for decades, although for use by the military to detect submarines. Seismic equipment might be workable, but I don't think they would be all that revealing. Perhaps somebody out there has some ideas so I'm all ears.

May 3, 2005
>>The idea of leaving a virtual presence on the wreck by way of a camera system has been mooted on several occasions over the years by Dr. Ballard. In principle, I like the idea. The problem here would be maintainance which from a distance is quite impractical at the current state of the art. I would hope that would change, but somebody needs to come up with equipment which is a helluva lot more robust.<<

This might be interesting if something similar to the Old Faithful Web Cam could be developed...However a camera at the Titanic wreck depth would (as Michael has so accurately put it : "equipment which is a helluva lot more robust") ..The differences in the pressures on the cameras at A Few Miles Below Sea Level and A Few Miles Above Sea Level, temperatures, et cetera, et cetera and so forth do present a few problems....to say nothing of someway to provide lighting. :)

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/oldfaithfulcam.htm

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>to say nothing of someway to provide lighting. :)<<

The world's longest electrical feed perhaps? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a virtual presence but there are a lot of problems with keeping it all going in the middle of one of the most hostile stretches of ocean on the face of the Earth. It's not as if a repair crew can just drive out there when a wire breaks or a lightbulb burns out.

The bottom line is that while the idea is appealing, the current state of the art means it's a long way off from being practical.