George Andrew Brereton

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
The following article was just published in the British Titanic Society quarterly journal, "Atlantic Daily Bulletin." My thanks go out to Phil Gowan and George Behe for their continuing help. We have since found the great niece and another distant relative in Southern California and are continuing to find out more information about this most interesting passenger.
Mike Herbold
Lakewood, California

Dec 12, 1999
Congratulations, Mike!

That's an excellent story. Quite a guy. Does anyone know who Brereton played cards with on Titanic? Do you know where Daniel lived in Sausalito? I might go and take a picture of the house, if it still exists. Once again, congratulations to you and Phil for the work you did.

Dec 2, 2000
Mike,

What a great story!

It was easy to read and fascinating regarding the mistake in the name. My expertise on names being changed as they entered the US for immigrants was An American Tale.

It was sad that after surviving so long under such circumstances and then to take his life. That is sad.

Thanks for taking your time to write it. Maureen.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Mo:
In George Brereton's case, it looks like his use of different names was the result of wanting to stay one step ahead of the law rather than being a mistake.
The story is not over yet. Phil Gowan and I have discovered more interesting info about Mr. Brereton and his relatives since then and should have an expanded biography sometime early next year.
Don't touch that dial.

Dec 2, 2000
ooooh....aaaaah....can't wait! So will the two of you co-write this one? Looking forward to reading it. All of the articles are great here. Thanks. Mo.

Sep 20, 2000
Hi, Mike!

I only recently became a "card-carrying" member of this Message Board, though I'd lurked around it previously, and read your very fine article.

Now that I am a "regular", I just wanted to thank you for a facinating piece of detective work. (It occurred to me I hadn't said anything about this previously when you popped up under Pat Cook's thread.)

And, following on the heels of that recent, somewhat outrageous post to Pat's thread, I am ever so glad that, as you reported, "Bradley" went by "George (Boy)", not "Boy George"! ;^)

Thanks again! I'll be looking forward to more on the mysterious Mr. Brereton.

Cheers!

May 12, 2005
George,

If you'll answer to Boy George your fashion IQ is seriously arrested! Now come on, those braids are just not you!!!

Randy

May 12, 2005
Hi! Mike,

I thought I'd left an earlier message praising your article but evidently not. So let me tell you, it's great!

That's a lot of detective work you've done and good luck to you and Phil in your ongoing research. What a character this guy was. And a sad end. What is it with Titanic suicides?

All in all it was a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. We are all always appreciative of soundly based research from writers who really care about their subject. It shows in every word that you do.

All my best,

Randy

Apr 16, 2001
Mike,

I had the pleasure of reading your article in another publication and I enjoyed it immensely. I'm glad that Phil included it here on the ET.

Congratulations on a job well done. If you ever have a passion for tracking down a few of the remaining, elusive New York survivors, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Mike Findlay

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Thanks very much Randy and Michael:
If you two would get together and tell me which six numbers to buy on tonite's California Lottery I could quit my day job and do this full time, and have money left over to hire Gowan and Behe. GoHerBe. That's got a ring to it.
Michael: I've got my hands full with the Californians. Like who in the world knows anything about the Klasens and Vestrom?

Apr 25, 2001
Dear Mike, Hulda Kristina Löfqvist Klasén was a 36 year old seamstress from Gotland, Sweden. She was going to Los Angeles; she had lived in America since 1902 and had been back in Sweden to get her niece Hulda Amanda Adolfina Veström, whose father allegedly lived in the US at the time.
Klas Albin Klasén travelled with his sister Gertrud Emilia, 1,5 years old. The two latter were probably not related to Hulda Klasén (although there is a possibility).

Peter

May 8, 2001
George "Boy" Brereton was a strange card. (pun)..
His father was Daniel Brereton from Ireland and his mom was Mary Rohe from Germany. As for Catholic religion, I am not certain. I can say that they are not buried in a Catholic cemetery, or in a designated Catholic section of Valhalla. This may have been another family members choice to but the plots in that particular cemetery, but not far away is a beautiful (and very old) Catholic cemetery that Daisy Minahan was layed to rest in. The family wills I have seen have no mention what so ever of a particular religious designation, and the only statement made was that of being cremated. It appears that at least two of the brothers were cremated.
I am sure that Mike Herbold is looking into it!

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Colleen - when you speak of cremation, are you speaking of the Brereton family or the Minahans?

Thanks for the info!
-Brian

May 8, 2001
Brian. The Brereton brothers. According to an article Mike Herbold wrote for the ADB in November 2000 (as well as seeing the grave sites about 7 weeks ago) there are 8 of them buried in 6 plots. In Mikes article he states that William Brereton was cremated and placed with John's ashes. A Lathrop family member was also cremated. Have yet to come across George's final disposition.