George Bowyer

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
what happened to pilot Boywer?i know that he left the ship at Cherbourgh.did he die in the 1st world war,by normal causes or was he drowned at sea?

Jan 5, 2001
Hi James!

George Bowyer retired in 1929, having remained at Southampton and piloted the Olympic (II), Majestic (II) and Homeric (I) -- among others -- during the 1920s.

It should be noted that he was on the Olympic's bridge, actually navigating the ship, during the Hakwe collision of 12.46 p.m., September 20th 1911.

Best regards,

Mark.

Feb 21, 2003
Speakin' of Captain George Bowyer--I would like to know besides him and Captain Smith, who else was in Titanic's bridge, April 10, 1912.

I need this information for my "Bon Voyage, Titanic" - (Part 2) TITANIC-Touched By An Angel crossover fanfiction storyline. Either George or Captain Smith, are whom my angel James is suppose to report to.

Any help at all will be most appreciated. Thank you.

A

Alex McLean

I had heard Lightoller was on the forecastle with Wilde.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Murdoch was aft on the docking bridge, I believe.

Mark, thanks for providing those additional details on Bowyer. The Bowyer family and their pilotage history are a fascinating part of Southampton history. It would be nice if those who ask questions acknowledged responses.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
I`m a bit confused as to whether Boxhall was on the Docking Bridge or the actual Bridge itself.Though I think he was on the Bridge relaying Captain Smith`s and Pilot Bowyer`s orders to the Engine-Room.

A

Andrew Williams

According to Bowyer's autobiography Lively Ahoy he was born on the 16th October 1859. The place of his birth was called The Cottage, West Gate Southampton.

Another point people need to note down. His other relation in the family deals with his Uncle James. James Bowyer was also a Pilot and lived at Bugle House down Bugle Street, Southampton. Bugle House today is now occupied by the Southampton Chamber of Commerce.

A.W.

Janice Jones

Aug 9, 2017
Looking for Parents, Wives and Families of Pilot George Bowyer and his brother, James Bowyer,(also a Pilot, out of Southampton). Looking at possible relationship by marriage to White family of
Roehampton/Putney in 1890's.

A

Andrew Williams

Coinsides with my own self-appointed task Janice. The Bowyer's of George and Henry are my line of investigation.

George being the Trinty House Pilot for bother sisters Olympic and Titanic.

In the case if Henry his affilication with Titanic is more to do with establing the Relief Fund.

Both had brothers of the same name "James" but both had different Father's and both shared the same Grandfather.

Please procedd with your questioning.

naomi

Oct 3, 2017
I am a descendant of G W Bowyer. My mothers maiden name being Bowyer. We hail from a long line of navy based professions. I'm
actually on my way to Southampton today and can't wait to see him in the museum. I have a family tree on ancestry with the connections.

A

Andrew Williams

Greetings Naomi.

Enjoy your day at Southampton as there's loads ot explore. Another trip maybe required as George is buried at Barton-on-Sea. The coastline area holds a stunning view as directly opposite almost is the Isle of Wight. George would've known every inch of this coastline. He actully retired there and died there in 1945 whereas his birth Father and Mother are both buried at Southampton's Old Cemetery on The Common.