George Bowyer

J

James Hill

what happened to pilot Boywer?i know that he left the ship at Cherbourgh.did he die in the 1st world war,by normal causes or was he drowned at sea?

Mark Chirnside

Mark Chirnside

Hi James!

George Bowyer retired in 1929, having remained at Southampton and piloted the Olympic (II), Majestic (II) and Homeric (I) -- among others -- during the 1920s.

It should be noted that he was on the Olympic's bridge, actually navigating the ship, during the Hakwe collision of 12.46 p.m., September 20th 1911.

Best regards,

Mark.

T

Tammy Saphiloff

Speakin' of Captain George Bowyer--I would like to know besides him and Captain Smith, who else was in Titanic's bridge, April 10, 1912.

I need this information for my "Bon Voyage, Titanic" - (Part 2) TITANIC-Touched By An Angel crossover fanfiction storyline. Either George or Captain Smith, are whom my angel James is suppose to report to.

Any help at all will be most appreciated. Thank you.

J

James Hill

I belive Lightoller was on the bridge.There would also have been one or two junior officers.

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Murdoch was aft on the docking bridge, I believe.

Mark, thanks for providing those additional details on Bowyer. The Bowyer family and their pilotage history are a fascinating part of Southampton history. It would be nice if those who ask questions acknowledged responses.

J

James Hill

I`m a bit confused as to whether Boxhall was on the Docking Bridge or the actual Bridge itself.Though I think he was on the Bridge relaying Captain Smith`s and Pilot Bowyer`s orders to the Engine-Room.

According to Bowyer's autobiography Lively Ahoy he was born on the 16th October 1859. The place of his birth was called The Cottage, West Gate Southampton.

Another point people need to note down. His other relation in the family deals with his Uncle James. James Bowyer was also a Pilot and lived at Bugle House down Bugle Street, Southampton. Bugle House today is now occupied by the Southampton Chamber of Commerce.

A.W.

Ana Florencia Pinton

Ana Florencia Pinton

I can't find him on the crew list... Can someone else find him and link his page?

Ana Florencia Pinton

Ana Florencia Pinton

Oh, ok I didn't know that! Thanks for answering. And why was his cabin on the ship then?

I

Ioannis Georgiou

Oh, ok I didn't know that! Thanks for answering. And why was his cabin on the ship then?

No problem!
A cabin was there for the case that the pilot was unable to leave the ship because of high waves or to have to stay on the ship because of heavy fog.

Ana Florencia Pinton

Ana Florencia Pinton

I thought it was strange that a spare cabin (it would be left unused 99% of the time) would be in such a central part of the ship. Thanks for the information!