Georges Alexandre Krins

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

I'm making some research on Georges Krins here in Belgium. Georges Krins was a violonist playing near the A la Carte Restaurant. G. Krins was born in Paris in 1889 and lived in Spa and Liège(Belgium) from 1895 to 1909.

I can say that I took some arrangements with Belgium Local Authorities and obtained that a commemorative tablet will be place on the last house occupied by Georges Krins in Spa. The date is not yet confirmed but the tablet will probably be inaugurated in August or September 2002.

I'm trying to found a descendant of G. Krins. I noticed that his sister Madeleine Krins married a certain William Richard DUSTROW (DUSTOW). W. Dustrow was born in Bristol on 3d May 1892 and married in Plymouth on 10th March 1917. I made some enquiries in UK via e-mail and I found that the Dustow familly stayed in Plymouth until 1919. The address was : Wm. Richd.
Dustow, 34 Headland Park, Plymouth.

Can someone help me finding a possible still living descendant of W. Dustow ?

Many thanks in advance.

Philippe

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

As I said, a commemorative tablet will be inaugured in Spa (Belgium) around the 15th September 2002.

Can someone help me finding a music sheet of "Nearer, my God, to Thee" ? The Music will be played by a violonist.

Many thanks in advance.

Phil

Apr 22, 2012
Good to hear that Mr. Krins will be commemorated. I believe the T.H.S. homepage sells sheet music. You might want to check there.

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

I have the great pleasure to inform you that a commemorative plaque in memoriam of Georges Alexandre Krins will be inaugured in Spa (Belgium) on Saturday 14th September 2002 at 11:00 (local time).

You are all welcome !

Best regards

Phil

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Some pictures of the plaque inaugured in Spa on 14th September :

47838.jpg

47839.jpg

47840.jpg

Phil

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Philippe:
Thank you for sharing the photos of the Krins plaque. You probably have this book already, but I just wanted to make sure you are aware of Dirk Musschoot's, "De Vlamingen Op De Titanic". He has a ten page chapter on Krins.

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Hi all,

Thanks Brandon. We were very glad because the plaque is the first memorial in Belgium for a Titanic passenger/crew member. Attempts were made in 1912/1914 but WWI made that the memorial was never build.

Mike,

Yes I know the book. The day of the inauguration, I met the man who ownes 1 of the 4 known original pictures of G. Krins. It was very moving to see it really for the first time.

Best regards,

Phil

P

Philippe Delaunoy

NEW MEMORIAL FOUND IN BELGIUM !!!

A tombstone showing an epitaph relating to George Krins - Musician on board the Titanic - has been identified in Spa (Belgium).

George Krins was violonist and bandmaster of the stringorchestra on board the Titanic. His body, if recovered, was never identified.

George Krins was the grand-nephew of Ernest Krins, a well-known Belgian painter.

I'll go to Spa as soon as possible and post some pictures of the stone.

Phil

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Descendants of Titanic Violonist Georges Krins are now identified ! An article will follow soon !

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Good stuff, Philippe! I echo Colleen's words - looking forward to learning more about the violinist.

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

I just identified Georges Krins' nephew !!!

He is also named 'Georges Krins' in order to honor his uncle. He is now 84 years old.

I planned a visit next June.

I will keep you informed.

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

I finally had the possibility to make a jump to Spa and we indeed found the grave of the Krins/Petit familly (Laetitia Petit, Catherine Krins, Suzanne Krins, "En memoire de Georges Krins mort sur le TITANIC en 1912" / "In memory of Georges Krins died on the TITNAIC in 1912".

I will post pictures as soon as possible.

We are now working on the George Krins Memorial that never as been built in Liege (due to WWI). We now have some letters and plans of the memorial (stone and bronze)

... to be continued ...

All the Best,

Phil

Apr 27, 2011
Hi Philippe,

I have in my possession a famous issue of French newspaper "L'Illustration", published on April, 27th, 1912. Many photos are published. Among them, the most famous photo (available on ET, at Krins' biography) about George Krins. According to the journalist who wrote the article, the musicians had been heros during the fatal night...

Maybe you have this issue.
If it's not the case, you'll be able to add this one to your own bibliography and own collection.

Best wishes,

Franck

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

I have to inform you sadly that Mr George Krins, nephew of Titanic's musician Georges Alexandre Krins, passed away in Fourmies (France) last 4th April 2006. He was 85 years old. May he rest in peace.

I had the privilege to meet him and his familly last year.

My deepest sympathy goes to the Krins' familly.

Best regards,

Philippe Delaunoy

May 12, 2005
Philippe:

My condolences to the Krins family and to you. Mr. Krins’ passing is a reminder that Titanic is more than media and Hollywood hype. It was a real event that touched real lives.

Randy