1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

German Liners North German Lloyd

Discussion in 'North German Lloyd - Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL)' started by Steve Anderson, Dec 17, 2002.

1. To start of a new thread on the various North German Lloyd Liners.

Her is an image of the Kaiser Wilhelm II as the Troop Transport U.S.S. Agamemnon from the collection.

Kaiser Wilhelm II
    North German Lloyd, Bremen
    Built by Vulcan, Stettin
    707 x 72.3 ft 19,361 GRT
    Launched: August 12, 1902
    Maiden Voyage: April 14, 1903

June 1906: Took the Blue Riband from the "Deutschland

August 1914: She was interned in Hoboken, NJ

April 6, 1917: Was seized by the U.S. Government and renamed "Agamemnon and used as a United States Navy Troop Transport.

After the War she was laid up, in 1929 was renamed the "Monticello" however she was still laid up until 1940 when she was broken up by the Boston Irom and Metal Co.

49252.jpg

2. Hi Steven!

Some little Corrections:

Kaiser Wilhelm II
    Maiden Voyage:
    April 14, 1903 - Bremerhaven - New York

June 1904: Took the Blue Riband from the "Deutschland (West - East)

on the East - West Route she never had the Blue Riband.

After the War she was laid up, in 1929 was renamed the "Monticello" however she was still laid up in Norfolk and later in the Patuxent River until 1940 when she was broken up by the Boston Iron and Metal Co.

Also she had on 17-6-1914 a collision with the british Freighter Incemore by Southampton. She was repared at Harlan & Wolff until 28-7-1914

Technical Data:

Build at AG Vulcan, Stettin
    Yardnumber: 250
    Tonnage: 19361 BRT
    Length: 215,34 Meter
    width: 22,05 Meter
    Engine: 4 IV-Expansion Machines from the AG Vulcan
    Speed: 23 - 23,5 knots

best regards from Germany

Thorsten
    www.LostLiners.de
    www.OceanLiners.de

3. Here is another rare image of the U.S.S. Agamemnon (Ex: Kaiser Wilhelm II)

This Dazzle paint image was taken at sea, (Publisher: U.S. Navy photo-image postcard)

49263.jpg

4. Moving on to the next North German Lloyd Four stacker.

Here is a rare postcard image, of the Kronprizessin Cecilie - U.S.S. Mount Vernon.

Brian H. - please note the color of the funnels in this image.

Kronprinzessin Cecilie
    North German Lloyd

Builders: Vulcan, Stettin
    707 x 72.2 ft. 19,360 GRT

Launched: December 1, 1906

Maiden Voyage: August 8, 1907 Bremerhaven-New York

July 29, 1914 - The famous voyage (Brain H. you can comment on this and the White Star Olympic Connection)

1914 - Interned in Bar Harbor, ME then later in Boston, MA

April 6, 1917 Seized by the U.S Navy and renamed the U.S.S. Mount Vernon and used as a troop transport, On September 5, 1918 she was torpedoed and took damage in her boiler rooms. After the War she was laid up and meet the same fate as her sister ship the U.S.S. Agamemon (Ex-Kiaser Wilhelm II), scrapping in 1940 in Baltimore by the Boston Iron & Metal Co.

Getting back to the funnels please note the black tops. (U.S. Navy Photo-image Postcard)

49266.jpg

5. She's my favorite NGL. Her bell is in the Fall River Marine Museum as you may have seen. She ended her days in my hometown of Baltimore-sad casualty of war . The Magic Ship by Parotti is a great novel about her Bar Harbor episode.

6. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

My favorite are still the Bremen and Europa.
    49272.jpg

7. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

BERENGARIA INTERIORS: Here are some snapshots of the former Imperator as she appeared during the summer of 1926, in Southhampton. This lounge, and its counterparts on the Leviathan and Majestic are amongst the few rooms on the 'classic era' liners which could be photographed semi-decently with a box camera, because of the large amounts of natural light.
    50747.jpg

8. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

And a second view.
    50750.jpg

9. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

And a third
    50753.jpg

10. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

And finally. I believe that this was the room which was gutted by fire in 1938, bringing an end to her commercial service.
    50756.jpg

11. fred pelka

fred pelka Guest

Jim,

Up above you listed the Bremen as one of your favorites. Do you know when the ship stopped sailing? My grandmother sailed on "the Bremen" from Germany in the mid-1960s, is it possible this was the same ship, or a newer ship with the same name? Also, is there a good reference on German liners?

These photos are quite beautiful.

Thanks

Fred Pelka

12. Hi Fred!

Your Grandmother sailed on an other Bremen. The Bremen your grandmother comes to America with, was the ex Pastuer

good references about german liner i know only in german Language. The best is Arnold Kludas "Die Geschichte der Deutschen PAssagierschiffahrt" (the history of the german Passengerships)

greetings from good old Germany

Thorsten www.LostLiners.de www.Oceanliners.de

13. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

The Bremen your grandmother travelled on was built in the late 1930s with an intended maiden voyage date of 1939, as a replacement for the South Atantic French Line's l'Atlantique. As Thorsten said, she was named Pasteur, and the official photos taken of the completed interiors during the summer of 1939 show that as originally fitted out she was in the style of the earlier l'Atlantique and Normandie but not quite as elaborate. She never made a maiden voyage due to the war, and remained in military service thru the mid-1950s. Whatever survived of the elaborate French interiors were removed ca. 1957 and replaced with "1950's modern decor" which, although good examples of the style, fall into the "really love them or really hate them" category. The 1930s Bremen was burned ca. 1941 (there are a number of stories ranging from RAF bombing to arson to explain the fire) and scrapped throughout the war. Some of her remains were scuttled in the river Weser and as of the early 1990s were still there. The Bremen of the 1950s sank while under tow to the scrappers at some point in the 1980s. When I get my scanner back I'll post some interior views and other artwork I have from both ships.

14. Mark Baber

Mark Baber Moderator Member

15. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

LEVIATHAN PHOTO: I am searching for my non-copyrighted photos of the 1929 and 1957 Bremen. Until I can find them, here is a nice snapshot of the Leviathan departing NYC cryptically miscaptioned "South American Liner Departs For South America" by the original photographer. 59599.jpg

16. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

And a close up of some detail from the same shot.
    59602.jpg

17. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

Bremen Menu: Here is the cover art for a menu dated Wednesday April 15th 1936, from the Columbus' Easter Voyage to the West Indies depicting the Bremen/Europa. North German Lloyd was one of the very few shipping lines of the 1930s to consistently depict their liners on menu covers-I have close over a dozen separate designs featuring this pair alone.
    59605.jpg

18. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

And a second
    59609.jpg

19. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

This book is the best reference source for the Bremen of which I know. Ocean-Express (Edited by Prof. F.A. Breuhaus De Groot who designed many of the interiors ) was a hardcover book available in first class aboard the Bremen (there was a similar volume published for the Europa) with 192 pages of black and white photos and color illustrations showing every aspect of the liner. My copy was carried off the ship after a summer 1935 crossing by a Boston family who preserved all of their on board paper in between the pages, which was an added attraction. These books are must-haves for anyone who is seriously interested in these two liners.
    59718.jpg

20. fred pelka

fred pelka Guest

Thank you all for this great information. I very much appreciate this.

Yours truly,

Fred Pelka