German Liners North German Lloyd

J

Jim Kalafus

I am not sure of which German 4 stack liner this is. This is part of a large collection of photos- mostly deck shots- taken aboard the Cleveland during a ca 1910 'round the world cruise. In this case, the photographer caught the passengers on another cruise vessel being tendered either to or from the ship.

J

Jim Kalafus

And a close up. One of the pleasures of working from large format glass plate negatives is that they can be blown up seemingly infinitely without losing focus.

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
Hello, Jim---

To my untrained eye, this looks like Hapag's Deutschland after her 1910 conversion into the cruise ship Victoria Luise. She has two masts; that knocks out Kaiser Wilhelm II and Kronprinzesssin Cecilie, which had three. Kronprinz Willhelm and Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse weren't that built-up at the stern; neither was Deutschland as originally built, but as Victoria Luise she was. That would also explain the snow-covered mountain in the background, which looks more like a cruise destination than the ports where the German four-stackers called in their transatlantic service.

If you have access to them, take a look at Shaum and Flayhart's Majesty at Sea, page 60; Kludas' Great Passenger Ships, Vol. 1, page 57; and Hansen's Passenger Liners from Germany, page 62. The profile of the ship shown here matches the photos of Victoria Luise there, it seems to me, and fits Majesty at Sea's description of the external changes made when she was converted from Deutschland to Victoria Luise.

S

Steve Anderson

Mark and Jim;

I am back after a long period away from the board Just haven't had the time to read the messages over the last two months.

In my opinion I would have to agree with you Mark, I looks as if it is the Deutschland.

Here is a colorized stern angle postcard that I have cropped that was taken about the same angle. The afterdecks and ventalator pattern looks the same.

S. Anderson Collection, 2003
Publisher: A.K.L. C. 1900

J

Jeremy Lee

Does anyone have information on North German Lloyd's operations in China, particularly Shanghai? Thanks!

A

Aleksander Cundiff

hello steven

the postcard picture is the Deutschland 1904
I have the same postcard

M

Michael Cundiff

UNBELIEVABLE! Another Cundiff, which country do you hail from? I am of French Canadian & Iroquoi Indian descent. Nice to meet you!
BTW...Cundiff is not a surname you here very frequently.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

M

Michael Cundiff

And Steven A., nice to hear from you again, I was hoping that you were still with us long-time listers. How is the AQUITANIA collection doing?
I recall yours of a prominent stature.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA