Ghost Ship

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
A haunted ship movie is coming out on October 25, 2002. It's about a sister ship to the Andrea Doria, named Antonia Graza. The ship disappears in 1962, and unexpectedly re-appears in 2002 in the Bering Sea. Some oil drillers find her, and she's haunted.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Sounds like the kind of interesting story concept that as always will get ruined by modern Hollywood's penchant for extreme gore and violence.

May 5, 2001
George Kennedy made a film called "Ghost Ship" Many years ago, which didn't do so well, went to the site, looks intriguing enough to spend $9.00 for.

Regards,
Bill

Apr 22, 2012
Sounds like the kind of interesting story concept that as always will get ruined by modern Hollywood's penchant for extreme gore and violence.

Yes, like the remake of "13 Ghosts" and countless others. They build up the hype, only to dissappoint.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

T

Timothy Brandsoy

It really sounded interesting until I checked a little. It's release date is Holloween and they talked about a 'formula' for a horror movie. YUCK. Now if it was like the Nicole Kidman's suspense thriller, The Others, I would have been first in line at the ticket window.

Tim B

J

John Meeks

Tim...

You liked "The Others" ?

SO DID I! What a thundering good yarn!

The 'first' "Ghost Ship" movie would be a little hard to replace - I believe it's a bit of an 'underground cult classic' now. Well worth watching...and quite 'creepy'.

John M

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I know the feeling about Hollywood and the hype and pompus rhetoric that surrounds movies today.
I love a good old black and white film with no gratuitous sex scenes and wonton violence that seems like fluff filler to me.
Give me a good plot, great characters, and a script that can support both and I will lay down my money in an instant to see this type of movie!
Hollywood churns out movies today like an assembly line.
I love the producers and directors with the integrity to push the edge of the envelope and stay on the vanguard of cinema today.
The Cohn brothers are my favorites right now.

Just my opinion, -Don

T

Timothy Brandsoy

I really loved "The Others", it wasn't a formula pic. No sex, no car chases, no gore. Just a well constructed story. Amazingly people actually went to see it. That's proof that not all people are brain dead and have to be jerked around by special effects explosions every 30 seconds. Movies today are edited like an MTV video strung together.

Ah, the Cohn brothers! "Fargo" yah fer sure!!!! Another favorite.

D

Daniel Odysseus

Hmm, I checked out this page, and the movie looks good and all... But is it going in theatres, or on TV, or 'straight-to-video'? I just kind of skimmed through the page, I could've missed it...

-D.O.

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Really do not know Daniel.
Timothy, Yes Fargo was great!!!
And their latest, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, is destined to become one of my favorites!!!
Here's a movie I just watched today that brings us back to the board more or less, Lifeboat!
Telulah Bankhead,William Bendix,Hume Cronyn.
Talk about your great movies!!!

Take care, Don

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
There was a tv movie following this very story line. It starred Jud Nelson. It was about a ship that disappeared and later reappeared. The salvage crew boarded her and started dying gruesome deaths as they attempted to save the ship. Only two folks survive a news reporter and Judd Nelson's character. I am going to go and find a link to the movie that I saw on tv.

J

J. Tagliere

You can watch the trailer at http://www.apple.com/trailers you'll need quicktime. It looks pretty interesting/spooky. Even if it isn't, it comes out on Halloween, making it the movie to see that weekend.

Apr 11, 2001
Caught the trailer in the theatre recently when I went to see SIGNS, and it looks terrific-creepy litte girl who pops up all over the ship, sultry caberet singer in a red gown, things that go bump in the night-and the ship is a real beauty. The plot seems to be about a greedy salvage crew (with the required beautiful and brave woman of course)who suddenly spot a drifting liner in the foggy mist a la Flying Dutchman. Once aboard, strange things happen, the present dissolves into the past without warning-ooh we see DEAD people. The little girl is eerie, sort of Sixth Sense-ish. I will not see this one alone- wish we could get a group together from the ETboard!

Jan 3, 2001
Hey Shelly,

Thanks for the description of the trailer!

There is a massive billboard advertising the movie in Times Square and Mark Baber, Ilya McVey, and moi found ourselves in hysterics at the fact we were trying to indentify what ship photo was used for the ad! LOL! The entire bow is a skeleton face so what we were trying to do made us all realize we REALLY do need help! ;-) BTW, it reminded me the famous Normandie poster.

If you could plan a trip to NYC to meet the gang that lives in this area, we could make this a fun venture.

Rosanne MacIntyre

Nov 12, 2000
well, whatever else the movie may have to offer, or not, they sure got the name of the ship wrong! Antonia Graza? not bloody likely. Antonio Graza maybe. no self respecting Italian liner of the period would have been named after a woman. lol.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
This sounds like a good movie which is up my alley as well, plus one of my favourite actors (Julianna Margulies) is in it! Ok I confess, I've had a huge crush on her since she was on ER!
happy.gif
Gabriel Byrne is also good. I'll definitely go and see it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Apr 11, 2001
It opens October 25th here- I DID wonder about Andrea Doria once- but he turned out to be a MAN!
Somehow the Brits and Germans had no problem with ladylike ship monnikers! Was amused to learn the French (what a shocker) use the masculine article for ships-!