Ghost Ship

Nov 12, 2000
yeah Shelley, the Doria was actually named after a famous Italian admiral. the confusion arises out of the mispronounciation here in the U.S. of the name Andrea Doria. most people pronounce it AN-dree-ah Doria, which is the proper pronounciation of the female name. in actuality the name should be pronounced AN-dray-ah Doria, which is the masculine version of the name. if memory serves, Doria's real "sister" ship was the Cristoforo Colombo.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

T

Timothy Brandsoy

Don, Lifeboat is a classic. I work in a video bar and we have a montage using that, Posiedon Adveture, and A Place in the Sun (?)with Shelley Winters, among others. The song they used is "Don't Rock the Boat (Baby)" by Hughes Inc. Very funny the way it's put together.

I've seen the trailers on TV for Ghost Ship, looks good enough to rent in December :)

The Judd Nelson movie is "LOST Voyage" I saw it at Blockbuster yesterday. Is it worth renting?

Tim B

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
My thought on the movie: how much was filmed aboard the QUEEN MARY?
I'll wager that at least one scene was shot on board the ship. The "Great Lady" has stood in as many a ship, fictional and real.

John Clifford

Dec 8, 2000
Er, Colleen, the film was filmed in QLD, including using the facilities at the Warner Bros Movieworld. Quite a few international films are these days, y'know. Not that you'd be able to tell with the set designs, lighting and CGI effects, though. From the official Warner Bros site:
quote:

The filmmakers found the perfect shooting location for Ghost Ship at the Warner Roadshow Studios on Australia's Gold Coast. "I had an excellent experience making all three Matrix films in Australia," Silver recalls. "The country is very diverse and conducive to film production, and Australian crews are some of the best that you'll find in the world. It's a great place to shoot a movie."

"This production required us to be out on the water for quite some time," Adler adds, "so it made a lot of sense to film in a place that had those facilities. The Gold Coast was ideal - we were able to film out on the water with relative ease, and in very good conditions."
Some of the cast really enjoyed their time down here too. Apparently.
happy.gif

May 9, 2001
I saw it last night. And I would describe it as mediocre by today's standards. It could have been a lot better, but it could have been worse.

The good:
The story, though shallow, was linear with a clear beginning, middle, and end. The pace was steady and the movie didn't seem to drag at any point. And finally, the old ship did look very creepy. I sure as hell wouldn't go wandering around on a ship like that after dark.

The bad:
Well, the story for one thing. Blah. Its really not THAT scary. It has a few 'Jump Out At You' moments, but then the spooks become friendly. And I never really found myself pulled into the drama, or suffering any feeling of suspense or dread. You already knew what was going to happen. I guess thats what it means to be a Formula movie. Somehow its familiar, like we've already seen it.

Other Comments:
There were a few goofs as far as keeping the reality compass in check. Such as the lighting effects that put the shimmering water waves reflecting everywhere. It came from impossible directions, unless the ship was underwater or something. And the diving scenes where two guys play rock paper scissors to decide who's turn it is to dive down into the flooded portions of the ship's holds, alone and fix the pump lines, in the dark. Anyone ever hear of the 'buddy system' here guys??
And the salvage team's seemingly endless supply of electricity on a derelict ship. And the questions about where are the lifeboats, bodies, or radio equipment? And the ... I could go on.

There were a couple of references to Titanic of course. The car in the cargo hold, the inside swimming pool, and the gash along the side to mention a few. There may be more I didn't catch.

I will say this, for the benefit of the squeamish, the opening scene is particularly gruesome and disturbing. Even I was a little uneasy about it afterward. It wasn't scary, just shocking. Oh, and the little girl. I won't give anything away here, (yeah as if it would matter), but there is a rather cruel scene depicting her demise that I didn't care for. But I'm rather sensitive about seeing children suffer. Just me.

Final Word:
I won't see it again at the theater. But I don't feel like it was a rip off. Just an average flick that is a predictable, typical gory over story hollywood offering. I give it a thumbs up, but only because its featuring a rusty old ship. And WHO can resist THAT!!??

Yuri

John M. Feeney

Sep 20, 2000
"I give it a thumbs up, but only because its featuring a rusty old ship. And WHO can resist THAT!!??"

Yuri: Few here, I imagine -- at least not me. ;^)

Thanks for that review. I'll probably wait for the video, but I will be excited about seeing the ship!

Cheers,
John

Dec 6, 2000
I just saw "Ghost Ship", and must agree with both Yuri and John.

I didn't go in with high expectations, and I wasn't disapointed - it was an old ship, of course!

The resemblance to the Andrea Doria was pretty much in the full exterior, and the style of what you could make out of the interiors. I didn't spot any direct copies of anything inside the Doria.

Some scarey parts (including one scene with the singer that made me squirm!), but not too many. Could have been far more bloody than it was.

Some supernatural (just a bit), some waist up nudity. And some unexplained plot elements. Like how the heck can a ship not under command, make it all the way from 'off the coast of Labrador' to the Bering Sea, especially without being seen for 40 years?

Oh, the theatre (part of a 12 movie complex) was pretty empty on a Saturday evening.

It was an okay movie, and I'm glad I went. But, as I said, I wasn't expecting a lot.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Bill said: "Oh, the theatre (part of a 12 movie complex) was pretty empty on a Saturday evening."

Hi, Bill. Could be everybody was home watching our Anaheim Angels pull off another titanic miracle.
Stay tuned for tonite's finale.

Jan 3, 2001
I went to see the movie Friday and although it wasn't a waste of money (simply because of the ship!) I wouldn't cancel any plans to run and see it.

The opening ship scene is shockingly gruesome (IMHO)and set me squirming waiting for the next blood bath. It took a while to come but they repeated the scene later in the movie in case you hadn't had enough of it at the beginning.

Can't say I recommend it unless like moi, you can't resist a movie about a rusted ship! ;-)

They did tell the story of the Mary Celeste. When I told my sister the story was true she just shook her head and said she was worried about me and my obsession for ships!

Rosanne MacIntyre

Mar 3, 1998
I am grappling with a dilemna...my 10-year-old son wants to see this movie, based on the trailers now showing. Being a R-rated horror movie, it's a new challenge for my son and his buddies. I allow him to see selected R-rated movies, but it's all based on what the R-rating is for. Gore doesn't seem to bother him...he is quite aware of how gore is accomplished through various special effects techniques. He's seen Starship Troopers, which is about the maximum gore I will permit, and Resident Evil, which he saw with friends without my knowledge or approval (which earned him restriction). Brief nudity (upper body) doesn't get him riled up, either...the brief nudity in Starship Troopers and Titanic are more embarrassing to him than interesting, but I'm afraid that situation won't last much longer and I'll soon have to be even more careful than I am now. My main concern now, though, is that the nudity isn't dwelled upon.

What really gets under my son's skin, though -- and we both share this -- is more along the lines of suspense and creepiness. The Shining, The Sixth Sense and Signs are examples of recent movies that we've watched together that really got to him. We fully intend to catch The Ring sometime soon.

So, given this, would anyone recommend that we go see the film? I would like to see the film solely because of the ship (and I do like "haunted house" thrillers), because I personally wouldn't go for the gore. But, if it's not worth it or the gore/nudity is too explicit, we can go see The Ring that much earlier. I'm also bothered by what Yuri alluded to above...I've seen the little girl ghost in the trailer, and I absolutely abhor violence against children.

So, what are your thoughts? Usually, I read several online reviews (Rotten Tomatoes being my favourite) and visit both official and unofficial websites to make a determination, but in this instance, I think we have a uniquely-qualified and diverse group of critics here.

Parks

Jan 3, 2001
Parks wrote: So, given this, would anyone recommend that we go see the film?

My suggestion Parks is you could see it first and make the decision. My opinion is that this is not a movie for a ten year old no matter how mature he may be in his understanding of gore in a movie.

My main reason for this conclusion is that the story line is told through the eyes of a ten year old girl(or close to that age). Knowing how I felt watching the child experience this, I can only image how your son would identify with her age and it could leave a powerful impression. As Yuri said, it's tough to see a child's demise as an adult.

I really don't think there's much for him to take away from this movie. And with them repeating the opening massacre, it may trouble him more than he would initially admit.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Rosanne MacIntyre

Dec 6, 2000
Parks - no, the nudity is not dwelt upon or too explicit (maybe 5 seconds of bare breasts).

It's not that suspenseful, in my opinion. They could have played that up far more than they did. However, if you're bothered by violence against children, you might want to skip this. This violence is over and done fairly quickly, but still.

May 9, 2001
Parks, it sounds like your son can handle this one with no trouble.

The child violence isn't dwelt upon. But for some, a little goes a long way if you know what I mean. I just had to pause and remind myself that, "its only a movie."

I'll put it this way, the child violence isn't as graphic or dramatic as in "The Patriot." (Which is one of my all time favorite movies. Right up there with Apollo 13, and Star Trek: First Contact.)
Patriot really pulled me into the lives and emotions of these children and their father; only to later see them torn apart, and in some cases killed in front of their desperate father. To this day, I can't help crying like a big baby when the little girl finally calls out to her 'papa' as he is riding away again, back to the war. Like I said, emotionally I'm paper thin when it comes to children. Plus, she looks a lot like my little girls. It really kills me, every single time.

Ghost Ship is nothing compared to Patriot. Its just violence for the shock value. You hate to see it, but you shouldn't need therapy afterward. I only point it out because someone might have had a child that was victimized, or perhaps had been the victim of such abuse as a child themselves. In which case even short movie scenes may become uncomfortable or ruin a movie experience for them. So I thought I'd throw out that heads up for the general benefit.

As far as the nudity. Its so short and gratuitous that if you blink you'll miss it. Well, almost that quick. No worries mate, your son's probably going to enjoy it as much as we have. :)
In fact, I'd like to hear his review of the movie.

Yuri