Ghost Ship

Mar 3, 1998
Yuri,

I never caught The Patriot, so I can't use it as a yardstick against which I can measure Ghost Ship. I admit that the word I received about the excesses attributed to the British put me off. Since my wife and I don't often have "date nights" without the kids, I only get to see a few non-kid-rated movies. The Patriot didn't strike me as a movie that my wife would want to see, Mel Gibson notwithstanding, so I didn't push for it. Historical re-enactments and Titanic are not my wife's favourite subjects, because she has to hear about them from me all the time. I cajoled her into watching Enemy At The Gates with me once, and that proved to be the last unilateral decision she has allowed me to make when choosing movies to watch.

This is not an indictment against The Patriot. I fully intend to rent and view it someday, when I have the time. If Tracy liked it, given her interest in the period, it must not have been as excessive as I was told. As of this point, though, I haven't seen it. Do you have another movie that you could compare Ghost Ship to?

In case you're interested, tonight happened to be one of our rare date nights. We saw Punch-Drunk Love.

Parks

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Weeeelllll, it's very interesting to note that some of the same conversations we've been having about Cameron's Titanic on this board have been echoed about the Patriot on other boards I participate in.

There are indeed quite a few historical inaccuracies about the Patriot, especially about the British, which I won't bore you with here, except to say that what you heard, Parks, is probably largely true.

However, the movie as a whole was rather impressive, especially the special effects.

But in the same way that Cameron's Titanic inspired many people to want to learn more about the real Titanic, The Patriot has similarly inspired people to get the real story about the Revolutionary War. Indeed, reading about the British perspective on the war has been most fascinating to me.

I guess what first caught my interest about this movie was the fact that it focused on South Carolina's part in the war. When in school, the teachers always focused on what happened in the Northern states, so it was fascinating to see my home state highlighted.

May 9, 2001
Um...ok here's another fairly close comparison as far as relating to seeing a child in peril. Aliens 2. The part where the little girl falls into the pool of water and the alien rises up and grabs her just before she can be reached by the heroes.
You see the monster grab her, she screams loudly, and then she gets drug under the water and vanishes. But of course the heroine Ripley tracks her down deep inside the alien's lair and rescues her in the nick of time.
Then later the big MAMA alien is chasing the little girl again aboard the orbiting spaceship. Its violent, its scary, and the little girl is the repeated target of the killer aliens.

The differences between Aliens 2 and Ghost Ship are that the bad guys in Aliens are the monsters, so less real I suppose. And that the little girl does escape in the end, so a happy ending is realized. In Ghost Ship, the little girl is terrorized and killed by real people; thus her ghost is one of the main characters.

I mean, seeing the child scream and struggle is horrific, but in the context of the story its not that emotionally overwhelming. They don't build up to the scene or dwell on it. Its presented in an almost matter-of-fact style. I hope this helps explain it better.

Tell you what Parks, if you like you can email me privately and I'll describe the scene to you fully. I doubt it'll spoil the movie for you, and that way you'll know exactly what to expect.

Yuri

Mar 3, 1998
Yuri,

I'll e-mail you privately later tonight after I return home. I have Aliens (2) on DVD and never really saw it as "violence against children"....to me, it was more "damsel in distress." Of course, the last time I watched it was long before Samantha Runnion was kidnapped. Even so, I don't think I'll view it any differently...I don't see an Alien as a real-life danger that I need worry about.

Parks

Apr 11, 2001
Finally rented this one- ugh...ghastly stuff. Go to the kitchen for popcorn during the first 10 minutes. I want to know where the crew produced a detailed set of deck plans out of the blue which suddenly appear on their salvage boat? I made it to the end- but only just, and found I did not give a fig what happened to the crew. This gets my Golden Lemon Award -third only to The Lost Voyage (which I saw for the first and last time last night) and The Last Voyage (which is so bad it is humorous at points). Two thumbs down for this one- great graphics on the poster though.

A

Amelie Seigner

I didn't even bother to rent it. It is now on Pay-Per-View. So I thought "Why not?" One word: Aaaacckk (oops sorry! Hairball!) I'm so glad the movie was only 90 minutes because I don't think I could've sit through any more. I was laughing most of the time! The script could've been a whole lot better. The effects were not bad, though. But the acting? Yipes! And that ending? Oy vey!

Sorry to be so cruel, but this is one film I definitely don't recommend.

I'm done now.

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
I really enjoyed this movie! I loved the cast most of all. Gabriel Byrnes and Julianna Margulies.That was enough for me! I thought Julianna really rocked,she was a strong female lead.Not your typical whiny,weak woman! Desmond Harrington played the soul collector Jack,he was also in Steven Speilbergs "Taken".
I enjoyed the story and the special FX.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
"Disappointing" would be my verdict. I wasn't necessarily looking for the blood fest that the opening scenes suggested would continue throughout the movie, but a weak script and very ordinary acting left me with the thought that a great deal more could have been made of the ghost liner concept.

The ending was pretty lame, too. I won't dwell too much on such ludicrous aspects of the movie, like how a deserted vessel that size could vanish for 40 years and then reappear on the other side of the North American continent. Anything with elements of "science fiction" (if you like) doesn't have to make sense in rational, everyday terms.

I just feel that, suspending belief, a much better job could have been made out of what had the elements of a very intruiguing story.

BTW, the opening sequence especially made both my fiancee and myself happy that we packed her nine-year-old son off to bed before we watched the video!

In conclusion, worth a view for ship fanatics everywhere. For connoisseurs of really good "jump out of your seat" scary movies, probably a waste of time. At least beyond the first ten or so minutes.

N

Nicolas Roughol

@Matthew: good review indeed. The only reason to watch this film would be for the scenes and shots both inside and outside the liner, which from the outside really looks like the Andrea Doria, and rather well done actually. Apart from that, it really is a waste of time...

Jun 24, 2003
I also agree that the sections of the movie inside and outside the ship were the best; but that shot of that singer twirling around on that hook gave me the creeps.

I would rate it two and a half stars.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
From my perspective as one who likes thrillers but not gore-fests it was pretty good. I liked the special effects especialy where the ball room transformed itself back.

Maybe it should have been set in the Bermuda Triangle to help suspension of disbelief! The little girl was very good. A relative waste of talent for Gabriel Byrne. Margulies was good....shades of Sigorney Weaver in "Alien".
Desmond Harrington was good too in the James Spader type of role. But James would have been a dead giveaway LOL.

I give it a ** 1/2 for this type of genre. *** if they redid the ending.

Nick Rose

Feb 4, 2006
How is it that all the people die at the beginning? To me it looked like some kind of bullet but i wasnt paying attention.

Mar 28, 2002
They were all cut in half by razor wire whipping across the deck.

I saw this film just before Christmas and after the opening scene it just fell flat and wasn't in the least bit scary. At the end I didn't have a clue what it was all about and had long given up caring.

Now, there was another film about a ghost ship set on a German warship (I think) that I saw years ago when I was a kid. One scene I remember in particular was one of the present-day characters falling into a cargo net full of skulls. Any ideas what the film was called?

Cheers,

Boz

Jeff Young

Mar 18, 2005
I agree, Ghost Ship started out ok and then somewhere it took a very wrong turn. It almost seemed like they had a good movie (not great) going and realized they had to hurry and finish it because they were out of money or something.

Sep 1, 2004
I like that part, when the little girl shows that women what is on the ship happen and the end, when she escape from the ship, swimming in corridors and than she sees the ghosts of died passengers.

chenchen21621

Aug 11, 2010
I saw this film just before Christmas and after the opening scene it just fell flat and wasn't in the least bit scary. At the end I didn't have a clue what it was all about and had long given up caring.

Maybe it should have been set in the Bermuda Triangle to help suspension of disbelief! The little girl was very good. A relative waste of talent for Gabriel Byrne. Margulies was good....shades of Sigorney Weaver in "Alien".
Desmond Harrington was good too in the James Spader type of role. But James would have been a dead giveaway LOL.

[Moderator's Note: Two messages by the same author have been combined to create this on. MAB]

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, chenchen21621---

Please note that the Message Board rules require use of both a first and last name. Please revise your profile to
comply with this requirement. Thanks.

Please also don't restore the signature you used on your first message, or repeat the link that appeared in your second message, as the goods being offered have nothing to do with the subject of this message board.