Ghosts of the Abyss book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 1998
I received a copy of the Educator's Guide for "Ghosts of the Abyss" from Walden Media today. This is a 26-page booklet that is provided to teachers for grades 5-8. It's primary purpose is, of course, to promote the upcoming movie. But it does so by giving relevant background about the 2001 expedition, Titanic's history and the condition of the wreck. Some comments:

The Expedition - 2 pages dedicated to an overview of the expedition. Pictures of the crew and the tools/vehicles used with brief descriptions of each.

Titanic timeline - 2 pages with a very general timeline of Titanic's history. Some familiar archival photos, along with 4 new ones from the wreck. This is also the first public depiction of the Marconi/Silent Room reconstruction (with two Parks Stephensons standing in for Bride and Phillips, who were unavailable at the time).

They Traveled on Titanic - 2 pages of famous people: Molly Brown, Captain Smith, Thomas Andrews, 2nd Off. Lightoller, 1st Off. Murdoch. Harold Bride (I haven't seen this portrait before) and, of course, Bruce Ismay. A couple of re-enactment photos from the Baja shoot are included...this is the first time any of my on-set photos have been released.

Two Modern Lives - 2 pages dedicated to Ken Marschall and Don Lynch and the effect Titanic has had on their lives. A new painting of the wreck by Ken is shown, along with pictures of Don and Ken dressed as Thomas Andrews and Bruce Ismay, respectively, during the Baja shoot. 3 more wreck photos are shown.

The last half of the booklet (14 pages) is devoted to educational activities. Classroom Social Studies and Science activities are designed to allow students to approach the "story of the disaster as modern-day detectives" and to "see the ways in which this technology helps reconstruct an event from the past." Illustrated throughout are snapshots from the wreck. In particular, I was taken with the C-deck pillars that are bent by the weight of the decks above into a "C" shape, and a series of artist's conceptions (profile view) as to how the bow section of the wreck looked (and is projected to look) in 1986, 1996, 2012, and 2112.

The last page provides a description of resources, including the Encyclopedia Titanica website.

I would imagine that most, if not all, of the images used in this Educator's Guide will be duplicated in the companion book that is soon to come out.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
I know that the Educator's Guides are given to schools (mine was a complimentary copy because I had contributed to it) but other than that, I don't know exactly how the distribution is worked. The "Educators" tab on the official movie website might provide more information, but it is not yet active. I sent a message to my contact at Walden Media tonight to thank her and I asked if more copies could be made available. I hope to get a response tomorrow. If there's a way, I'll let you know; otherwise, I imagine that everything in the Educator's Guide was pulled from one of the two books coming soon.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
In response to questions about getting copies of the Educator's Guide:

Last night, I sent a request to Walden Media. They, in turn, referred me to Disney. Disney's response:

"On or before March 15th the Educators Resource Guide will be posted on the Ghost of the Abyss website (www.ghostsoftheabyss.com) and can be downloaded.

Obviously we want to encourage interested parties...to go see the film and use the guides as a resource either before or after seeing the film.

So, as an alternative to the web, educators and guests can call our 1-888- Disney6, toll free number to order their tickets for every theatre in the country showing the film. When they call, we can send educational guides to educators. Also if we could provide our sales piece to Parks with a list of the theaters showing the film and he would distribute that...it would be great."

Walden Media will send me the sales pieces, whatever those are. I'll let you know when I receive them.

Parks

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Parks!
I for one eagerly look forward to the release of this book.
I do hope in the official compnaion guide there will be heavy emphasis of footage taken deep within the wreck, and i pray forepeak photos are kept to a minimum.

Im quite eager to see photos of the leaded glass windows in the 1st Class Reception Room, the ocassional patches of intact celing paneling in the A deck foyer, and the brass bedframes....

Will there be any new Ken Marshall art featured within the companion book?

Job well done!

Tarn Stephanos

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Continued from the "Ghosts of the Titanic -- The Book" thread....

Hey, George!

Thanks for mentioning that Randy had a hand in the new book.

But don't forget Parks's contribution to it. Aside from Ken and Don, he probably had more input in the project than anyone on the board. I haven't seen the book, but I know he spent countless hours working on it, reviewing and analyzing footage of the Marconi Room, advising Cameron and the publisher, and making sure the Marconi pages were as perfect as possible. I'd be surprised if his name doesn't appear in the credits. Could you have another look?

Thanks!

Eric

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Fiona!

Thanks for the fix! :)

Hi, Mike!

> Glad to hear the glowing praise for the work, >but with top people like Lynch and Marschall >doing the job, it comes as no surprise that it >would be top notch.

Absolutely. No arguments there. :)

IMO the most evocative set of images in the entire book is the computer rendering of the Reception Room and the corresponding view of the present-day Reception Room; the wreck photo is downright eerie, with a stained glass window on the wall in the right foreground and the camera 'looking down the hall' toward the left. If there is truly such a thing as a 'haunted house,' James Cameron has taken a photograph inside one. Fantastic photograph.

> George, how did you manage to get yours ahead of >time?

I know things about Don Lynch . . . . :)

Hi, Eric!

>I'd be surprised if his name doesn't appear in >the credits. Could you have another look?

It's there -- I just meant that Randy appears in the credits and acknowledgements more often than anyone else except for Don and Ken themselves. Our friends Dave Gittins, Kerri Sundberg, Elizabeth Stanton and Peter Christopher will also see their names in the book.

Hope all is well with you with you, old chap.

All my best,

George

Mar 20, 2000
Hi George,

Well, well. I must say I'm intrigued. My copy is on the way, I understand, and I can't wait to feast my eyes on it. I know a lot of hard work went into this book by the principals involved -- Don Lynch, Ken Marschall and some bloke named James Cameron -- and they must be exhausted and relieved!

You're too generous to mention me. I appreciate the nod. Eric is right to point out that I played a very small part in the book's preparation, though one I was honored to have, and I do thank Don very much for his loyalty in recommending me as a source to Madison Press. He didn't have to do that and I appreciate his thinking of me.

As to Parks' extensive contributions, I bet George was only thinking that, as that's been well established in several on-going threads, it didn't need a plug. But this is the first time my participation and that of others on ET has been noted. My congrats to Parks and all my fellow board members. I'm sure that Parks, in particular, was indispensable.

Apart from Don, the "Ghosts of the Abyss" project editor, Wanda Nowakowska, was full of kindness and good humor, despite the hectic pace, and must be the most prompt editor I've worked with. Publisher Hugh Brewster was also very kind and encouraging. My material was even returned unharmed by the art department -- a rarity in publishing!

And I'm sure you're right, George -- the book and movie will be a hot-ticket if even HALF the good things we've heard about them are true!

Randy

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
> George, how did you manage to get yours ahead of >time?

I know things about Don Lynch . . . . :)

Oh...blackmail...uh...friendly persuasion. Well, whatever works.
wink.gif

From the looks of the acknowladgements mentioned here, it would seem that the Titanic communities varsity squad was on the job. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Jan 7, 2002
Hi George!
I read your writeup of the book in on of the Titanic lists...When can I get a copy? When do they hit the stores??
Thanks

Tarn Stephanos

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Tarn!

I'm afraid I don't know the book's exact release date, but I'm sure it'll be within the next couple of weeks or so.

I've been receiving a flood of private emails asking about the book's contents, so I'll kill fifty birds with one stone and will repeat the posting I sent to Mark Taylor's Titanic Discuss Mailing List.

Here's a quick summary of the book:

The book is 143 pages long and is full of color images just like "Titanic: An Illustrated History."

Pages 1 - 35 deal with the history of the maiden voyage itself. Pages 36 - 51 deal with the mechanics of the dives and contain color photos of the Reception Room door and a crumbled sideboard filled with dishes. Pages 52 - 81 contain a nice selection of color photos of the wrecked ship's interior and computer renderings of some of those same areas as they appeared when they were new. (Those 29 pages devote two pages each to the following subjects: the Grand Staircase, gymnasium, Marconi room, silent room, promenade deck, elevators, D Deck entrance vestibule, First Class dining saloon, Reception Room etc. etc.)

Pages 82 - 96 contain various exterior shots of the ship and descriptions of the various dives. (It also contains a horrific photo of Don Lynch.) :) Pages 96 - 112 contain color photos of discoveries made inside various passenger cabins. Pages 113 - 123 show various exterior and crew-area shots. Pages 124 -- 131 show various interior crew areas and exteriors. Pages 132 -- 137 show various signs, table bases, pipes and exteriors. Index, credits and acknowledgements make up the balance of the book.

My brief description of the book doesn't come close to doing it justice, but everyone here who has the slightest interest in the discoveries made by the Cameron expedition would do well to pick up a copy. Take my word for it -- you won't be sorry you did.

Once again, I take my hat off to Don, Ken and James Cameron. Well done!

All my best,

George

Jan 7, 2002
Im eager to see the leaded glass windows of the reception room....are they coated with grime, or does the beauty shine through?

Tarn

thanks George!

Jan 7, 2002
and any new Ken Marshall paintings depicted within?

Is this book similar to the Ballard book, with the 'then and now' scenes?

I hope to see exactly what remains in the silent room.....

Jun 4, 2000
Thanks for the description, George. It'll probably keep me sated for, oh, maybe a week or so.
happy.gif
Roll on the release date!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
According to the Amazon.com website, publication/release is scheduled for 25 March 2003. Not soon enough for me, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it. If any of the feedback I'm getting here is any indication, Mike Tennero may have his book of the year for 2003.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Tarn!

I believe there's one new Marschall painting in the book -- a bow-on view of the ship on the bottom with Cameron's 'vehicles' hovering around it.

Unfortunately, the book does contain one error that almost everyone will notice at first glance. A photograph on page 17 is correctly captioned as depicting the Olympic on sailing day; however, the actual photograph shows the Olympic retouched to make her look like the Titanic. Don tells me that this retouched version of the photo was inserted by mistake by the folks who put the book together; the jumbled photos (and a few other small errors throughout the book) were caused by the haste with which the book was put together by Madison Press -- they did things in weeks that ordinarily would have taken months. (Judging by the eagerness with which everyone has been awaiting this book, though, I don't think folks will mind these small errors very much.)

All my best,

George

B

Brian Hawley

George, if you are talking about the image of Olympic turning left out of her berth in Southampton then that is a Browns Brothers image that was doctored and put up on the Disney Ghosts web site as well. When I saw it I wondered why they went through the trouble to make this image, when so many good shots of Titanic in Southampton are around.

Brian

Mar 30, 1997
I received a copy of the education guide when I did a group order for tickets for the IMAX showing here in Valencia, California. Trust George's review / summary.

Status
Not open for further replies.