Ghosts of the Abyss by James Cameron

C

Christine Bucher

I mentioned in an earlier post that my husband and I have tickets for the Discover magazine showing of GOTA in Los Angeles. We have an extra seat if a member would like to see the movie tomorrow night. Chris

B

Barbara Personett

Nigel,
Those pictures are great. Cameron did a fabulous job.

Barbara Personett

T

Tarn Stephanos

I have my tickets for every night for ther next 2 weeks....

New England Aquarium, IMAX theatre...

T

Tarn Stephanos

I have my tickets for every night for the next 2 weeks....

New England Aquarium, IMAX theatre...

C

Christine Bucher

Someone told me today that one of the extras was promoting the movie on a local radio program. GOTA is being hyped all over the internet also. This is good.

P

Parks Stephenson

Christine,

Yes, most of the actors who played the "ghosts" reside here in San Diego (most responded to a casting call in the Reader). Judy Prestininzi, a real firecracker who played Molly Brown (talk about type casting!!), is heading the promotion at the theatre up in San Marcos. It may be a drive for you, but you should really try to see it there and meet her and few of the other actors.

I won't be be there for the local premiere because I'm off to re-enact the 1943 Tunisian campaign out in the high desert this weekend. If I'm not worn out after 2 days of running after (or away from) tanks, I plan on taking my kids to see the film at the Mira Mesa 18 on Sunday late afternoon/evening.

If you're willing to drive up to L.A., Jim Cameron and Ken Marschall will be signing books at the West Hollywood Borders bookstore at 7.30p on 14 April (Monday evening).

Parks

C

Christine Bucher

Parks, Ah yes, Rommel. When you re-enact this much documented campaign, is it totally scripted, or is there room for some minor improvisation? Good luck this weekend. In the GOTA, my husband was the ghost wearing the bowler. We are taking three of our kids to the Mira Mesa 18 also on Sunday, as a few of the other extras are meeting there for the 2:15 showing.

D

Daniel Klistorner

Ah, as the sun settles on this cool but fresh Friday evening, April 11, those in America make their way to the nearest IMAX ... meanwhile back down under, there's not even a hint of GotA coming soon "to a theater near you" :-(

Daniel.

P

Parks Stephenson

A change to my last...the book signing that I mentioned is not this Monday evening, but rather planned for a month from this Monday (May 14). Schedules change, so it's a good idea to call the store beforehand to make sure the event is still on.

Christine,

Unlike Civil War re-enactments where the battle joins at a designated spot so that the public can watch, WW2 re-enactments are highly mobile with clashes occurring anywhere. For this reason, WW2 re-enactments (at least here in California) are not open to the public...it's just for us crazies. A tactical scenario is decided upon beforehand, which tries to stay true to the history but also takes into account the terrain and assets we have to deal with in reality. Each battle usually starts off with the different commanders attempting to accomplish a pre-determined objective, but then the battle goes whatever way it will. Being a lowly private, I do whatever my Zugfuehrer tells me. Sometimes, I find myself alone and then its a simple matter of survival until I can rejoin my comrades (or get killed or captured). Depending on the momentum of the battle, the side that was supposed to lose might actually win. And yes, we try to plan it so that one side wins the first day, the other side wins the second day. What is interesting about this year's re-enactment is that there are supposed to be some re-enactors of Arabic volunteers (the so-called "Free Arabia") participating, probably because of current events.

For extreme realism, you should see one of the Pacific War re-enactments. Japanese re-enactors fly over from Japan and those guys are the Japanese Army. In their camp settings, Japanese recruits play their role perfectly, performing tasks that would appear demeaning to modern/Western eyes. Unfortunately, I just don't don't have the time or money to put together a Pacific War (USMC) impression.

I won't be back to San Diego in time to make the 2.15p showing. Sorry that I'm going to miss everyone. Your husband was the one at the 3rd Class gate, right? He actually got to be opaque. :)

Well, it's time to move out. Have fun at the movies.

Parks

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon!

I can't wait!!!

Best regards,

Jason
Happy

J

Jennifer Mueller

i am sad to say that the movie wont be playing in my area i live in north dakota and i had hoped to see the movie but i have to wait until it comes out on vhs because the movie isnt playing in the theaters of my area and if i could see it i would but i cant and i hope that there is a lot to see on vhs i dont know if an hour or 90 minutes can possibly capture the hard work the crew put in to making this movie i think the movie should be longer then just one hour or 90 minutes in fact it should be as long as the 1997 movie about the titanic the people who made this movie have a lot of time put into this movie including all the footage on what they saw and i think that all of it should be seen but thats just one opinion from someone who wont get to see the movie in the theaters and have to wait a while to get it on vhs jennifer mueller

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Bad break Jennifer. I'm going to see it tomorrow. It's showing over at the Hollywood 20 in Greenville. I hope the wait for the DVD version isn't a long one.