Ghosts of the Abyss by James Cameron

D

Daniel Klistorner

Ken,

Didn't the C deck, 2nd class "jail" gates swing open rather than up? As for the 1st class B deck doors, Olympic's photos don't show any similar such gates. If I'm correct, there was a ramp of sorts that was folded up against the doors and when the doors were open, it could be used as barriers to stop people from falling out. These ramps were then lowered to deck level and used for embarking or disembraking purposes ... Or am I way off here?

Daniel.

C

Christine Bucher

Saw the movie again, and it is just as great the second time around. There was a difference in the type of glasses used, and members of our party had a difficult time viewing. I wonder how many theaters are using the crummy flat glasses? This was a fun weekend watching the movie again, visiting with the extras, and getting a call from Baghdad. Life doesn't get better than this!

G

Geoffrey Todd Bennett

I will be checking for updates on the book signing....as I will be in LA during that time.....lucky me..huh?

I too was amazed by the amount of preservation of the wood work , and the stained glass windows in the 1st class dining salon. I will see this movie again....as I'm sure we all will.
Best Regards,
Geoffrey Bennett

N

Nigel Bryant

To all,

Maybe the B-deck vestibule entranceways from the foyer and the private promenades spaces were locked during the voyage to prevent people gaining acess to those spaces. Just some thoughts.

All the best,

Nigel

D

Daniel Klistorner

Nigel,

I think even if it wasn't locked, I doubt that anyone used this area at all. Olympic's B deck was almost never used (except for bad weather), so why would Titanic's rather small B deck area be used, especially when one could get both the enclosed and open promenade deal on A deck?

Daniel.

J

Jennifer Mueller

mr marschall i would like to say that i think youre one of the best titanic experts around and i would like to ask you a couple of questions one what inspire you to become an expert on titanic and two what was your inspiration into making a drawing of the titanic in 1986 for a magazine when you havent see the acutal wreckage at that time thanks jennifer mueller ps i love your drawings for the book titanic an illistrated history in which i have a pleasure of having a copy of p ss please dont take the second question the mean way

Y

Yuri Singleton

Would anyone care to join Michael Standart and myself for a trip to see Ghost of the Abyss in Greenville SC this coming Saturday, April 26th??

We've been planning this for a couple of weeks now, since the movie came out. And now the date is at hand. Michael has already posted that we would be doing this on an earlier date, but we had no responses to indicate anyone else was interested in going along. So just to be certain, I thought I'd mention it one more time. Anyone and everyone is welcome. Just email Michael or myself for times and directions.

Since we do have a few local Titanic enthusiasts in the SC/NC area I wanted to make sure to get the word out.

Thanks,
Yuri

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

For the information of all, the Disney GotA website is still showing the movie as playing at the Hollywood 20 theatre in Greenville.

The address is as follows;

Greenville, SC
Hollywood 20 Greenville 3D Theatre
1025 Woodruff Road
Greenville, SC 29607

Yuri and I are planning to attend the 12:30 showing. It's easily accessable from I-85. It shares the same parking lot with the Greenville Mall so it shouldn't be all that hard to find. I'll be double checking the times to make sure it'll still be playing this weekend.

M

Martin Conway

Well.......having just found this website and seen Jim Camerons "Ghost of the Abyss" twice (Sat and Sun) at IMAX London - my interest in Titanic, which I am ashamed to admit was foundering - has now found a new lease of life.

Oh....and Ken Marshall - I have admired and loved your work - since I first saw them in 1987 - oh....and not a bad Ismay!!!!!! - Compliments Don Lynchs rendition of Thomas Andrews.

But as someone has pointed out - apart from Bill Paxton over exposure - for which my heart did go out too - even though I would love to go to the wreck - it must be still a bit scary - so we must not judge too harshly - the film overall is great - a chance to see the interiors as never before - it is just a shame - and maybe their is a reason - why we can't go any deeper into the ship - say third class areas.

Just look forward to the DVD now - with 3D option?

Martin
London, UK

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

The third class accomadations in the forward part of the ship may well be accessible to an ROV. but I doubt anyone's going to chance it in the thoroughly ruined stern section. Future expeditions however, could prove me wrong. It would be interesting to see.

M

Michael F. Koch

Michael or anyone else,

Do you think the money will be there for many more future expeditions considering the ship is rapidly deteriorating and probably in the eyes of many, they have seen about all there is to see? Not my opinion of course, but just hearing others not addicted to Titanic, it seems people are tired of it.

Thanks,
Michael Koch

J

Jeanne Nagel

Mr. Marschall, I really enjoyed this film & the books I recently purchased. I am wondering if there will be a new CD-Rom with a walk through of the interior of Titanic, especially now that we know what the D Deck Entrance Vestibule doors really look like. Thanks for any answers.

Sincerely,

Jeanne

A

Arlene Forconi

I went to see "Abyss" at a local theatre here in Central FL. I absolutely loved it! The 3-D effect was amazing and the computerized elements were equally as great.

If I were to improve upon this myself I would have loved to have seen it on an IMAX screen. There is still something about watching some movies in a theater as opposed to home that makes it extra special for me. I remember when "Titanic" came out they had just opened a bunch of theaters here with stadium seating and I said I wouldn't go unless the theater had this!

The other thing I would have changed would be to keep the folks from eating popcorn and opening candy wrappers around me. I wanted to feel like I was there at the bottom of the sea with the crew, but the noise around me took a little away from that, haha!

A

J

James Smith

A quick question: during one scene of Titanic's stern in GOTA, it almost looked like the rudder had swung so hard over to one side that the trailing edge was in fact facing forward. Did my eyes deceive me, or would this be the result of the stern's landing on the ocean floor?

James Smith

R

Randy Bryan Bigham

George Behe, if you're out there, we need to compare notes about a certain apology for an actor who somehow or other landed a role in GOTA as Thomas Andrews. It's sad that Hollywood casting folk are still such push-overs for anybody in designer sunglasses.