Ghosts of the Abyss by James Cameron

S

sally1976

shes beautiful

Hello guys ive just been watching ghosts of the abyss and I am in awe of this beauty.Feels strange seeing her under water in them conditions,its so bizzare to think of how she was to how she is now.I get chills and am just wow shes is beautiful

S

sally1976

Has there ever been any other expeditions other than ghosts of the abyss that has shown more from inside the wreck? To see bed frames and baths with taps still attached and windows of 1st class dining room etc etc is truly magnificent,I dont think I will ever be able to be satisfied with the knowledge I know about titanic(which is very little compared to you guys on here) I cant get enough its so intriguing x

A

Adam Went

Wasn't there supposed to be expeditions to the wreck in commemoration of the centenary of the sinking? Basically a "last chance saloon" to get footage of the wreck while it was still somewhere close to intact?

Cheers,
Adam.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Wasn't there supposed to be expeditions to the wreck in commemoration of the centenary of the sinking?

If I recall correctly it was arranged for the dives to take place, but that's as far as they got. More focus was then put on the centennial voyages.

A

Adam Went

OK, thanks for that Jason. Do you ( or anyone ) know if there's any more expeditions to the wreck planned for the near future?

Cheers,
Adam.

A

Adam Went

Thanks again, Jason. That's a bit of a shame. I hope that now the centenary is well in the past that the wreck doesn't just get forgotten about again - I know it's expensive and difficult and all the rest of it, but while there is still something there to see, we should be making the most of it.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
You're welcome, Adam. I agree, it's a shame that the tourist dives have ceased and while hopefully they resume at some point, I don't see it happening anytime soon due to the numerous challenges financially and logistically.

A

Adam Went

Hi Jason,

I'd like to see a dive done to the wreck to commemorate the 30th anniversary of her discovery next year - whether or not Robert Ballard would be a part of that I don't know. The strange thing is that the ship has only been accessible at all for a relatively short period of her life span.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Adam,

A dive to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Titanic's discovery, would be terrific to see. Even more so, if Robert Ballard was involved. The tourist dives only go back to 1998 (I remember Pepsi offering a chance to dive on the wreck by winning their sweepstakes and it was just after the movie was released). So you're correct for people to view the wreck up close and personal, hasn't been all that long.

A

Adam Went

Hi Jason,

I couldn't quote the price but I do remember reading that it was extremely costly to do the tourist dive thing - like a lot of tourists can deal with expensive, but this was "non-billionaires need not apply" type stuff. Which is why IMO it would be good to more tourist work with the wreck of the Britannic - let's face it, the Greek economy could do with it, and it is a heck of a lot more accessible than the Titanic is.

Not sure whether Robert Ballard would consider a dive like that or not. He's around the 70 mark now so it might be getting a little bit past him.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Adam,

The cost to dive to the wreck is $40,000 which is equivalent to a year's salary, for some people. For the dives to continue, the price has to come down significantly. I agree, more dives to the Britannic would be great for the local economy and you don't have to travel in a submersible to view her - she is only 400 feet down.

As far as Ballard goes, you're right he may or may not consider a dive down to Titanic due to his age. Interesting to ponder nonetheless.

A

Adam Went

Hi Jason,

$40,000 isn't nearly as pricey as I thought it would be, but then you also have to consider that people coming overseas have to pay for flights and all the rest of it as well. As you say, the price would have to drop significantly and quickly, or else there'll be nothing worthwhile there to see.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Adam,

the price would have to drop significantly and quickly, or else there'll be nothing worthwhile there to see.

Quickly indeed. Time will tell as to whether it actually happens.