Ghosts of the abyss dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2004
Hi everyone!

I've got the following question:
Is the uk-version of the “ghosts” dvd correspondent to the us-version. I mean also two dvds and the same features? I can only view code 2 dvds, as the most of us here. Do somebody know whether there is a code to break my barrier in my player (D-i-k III DVD-090)?

Thank you!

Dustin Kaczmarczyk

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi Dustin,

Had exactly the same problem, had the DVD but couldn't play it, wrong region. Anyway I was looking around Amazon and found they had DVD players for around £30, which were multi-region.
I ordered one on Thursday 24th June and it arrived today 26th, Not bad Eh?? It's now "plumbed" in, DVD plays fine, so it is a few beers and Ghost Of The Abyss for me tonight.

As for a code to beat the Zone block, I've never heard of one, but there may be something out there.

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi Dustin,

Don't know about the UK version, but the version I have came from Canada (Hence the reason it wouldn't work with my player - Canada region 1, my player UK region 2), and that is the 2 CD version.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

Jun 25, 2004
now i have the uk-version, and the uk-version consist of only one dvd and is not so sumptuous provided like the us-version. only the 60min version if the film as well as less bonus-footage. disappointing

M

Martha Fasoulas

Hi everyone!

Okay I am little further out, and wondeirng if anyone can help with any ideas on Region 4 compatible versions for Australia?

Am getting desperate! Can't wait to see the bonus footage

Thanks for your help!
Martha

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I too was disappointed to find a single disc in my Region 2 GotA package. I see that dvdcompare list another forthcoming region 2 release for the Japanese market which has the extended version in 2D plus the original version in 3D complete with glasses. Now why didn't they offer that in the first place? If I were cynical I might think they wanted to sell it twice.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Today, I got the Region 1 GotA from Amazon.com. I've made a list of differences between the theatrical and special editions of the main feature. I may have been mistaken in some cases - I have only seen the original Ghosts a handful of times so I may be confused. I have put a "?" in these circumstances.

- Lewis asks Don why the Titanic is special and not Lusitania et al. Pellegrino, Marshall and Cameron give their views. Cameron says they have to do it now as the ship may not exist in 5 years time.

Extra preparations for the Mir on day 1 (?)

On the way to the bottom, Paxton's Russian pilot does some maintenance in the Mir sub (?)

Shot of Mir 1 manoeuvering around the anchor crane.

Shots and reaction of the Mirs leaving the wreck at the end of day 1.

Extra shots of Mr recovery (?)

Extra footage of Jake and Elwood's first trip down the grand staircase chasm, and the trip into D deck. There is an extra shot of a recreation of the staircase in 1912 here too. There is a close up (2001) of an octagonal light ficture dangling by a wire from D deck. There is also a shot of the robits exploring one of the D deck 1st class entrance doors on D deck.

There is a comparison of the wooden pillars and carving on D-deck - then and now (?)

A close up of the chest of drws in the vestibule area. The wood is nearly gone, but the china is still there.

The realisaton that, on the indicator panels, the lifts were called "Elevators".

Ken coming up with the idea to look for A-deck, B-deck etc. letters near the elevators. Cameron sees the A-deck letters, but the "A" has fallen off recently, leaving the outline.

Paxotn needing to pee and being given a bottle by his pilot.

Jake in the B deck promenade, showing the Tudor panelling half hidden in the silt.

A shot of Cameron and Paxton talking about th Quadrant davit and how they worked (complete with schematic).

One of the robots goes down into one of the cargo holds - D deck and explores the 3rd class area, complete with stiarcase, bar with a tap and the bases of the tables (there is a flashback showing the 3rd class having a party here). Cameorn et al decide to look for the Renault car, and descend F deck, G deck, through a half open hatch cover and into the Orlop deck. They see what might be a fender, light and tyre, but its probably just debris.

A shot of the interior of the fireman's mess shows the curvature at the front, due to the bow.

There is a montage of stills, including a shot of the water fountain at the top of the fireman's staircase (voice over by Paxton).

Close up of "THIS DOOR FOR USE OF CREW ONLY" sign.

Ken talks to Lewis about the icecube tray flooding analogy over a blueprint of the ship. There is footage of the CGI simulation of the ship flooding and sinking from "Titanic". There is CGI footage of the stern striking bottom and then discussion by Cameron et al about how to explore the stern etc.

Anatoly Sagaleyavich (sp?)'s song about blue skies when returning to the surface.

Lewis wanders the Keldych, wondering about the engineers on the Titanic, eventually talking to the Russian engineers on board the ship.

A long section about the various forms of life seen: the Rat-tail, footage of the starfish, a lobster (?). Discussion of new organisms found, including an "angel with wings", and gelatinous clouds of bacteria.

Shots of the debris field: Ken sees the boilers for the first time. He sees some funnel whistles, the no.1 cargo hatch cover and a glass carafe.

Footage of Lynch and Paxton discussing risk and keeping a brave face in front of families while Titanic was sinking. Then a chat about Boat 11 being overloaded.

Pellegrino talks about the recognisable human aspects of the shipwreck. Footage included an open porthole (form inside the ship), medicine bottles, a lamp plugged in and a discarded fork.

A long segment about the other escue missions (attached a weight to the stricken 'bot with velcro)..... and how they nearly lost Elwood too when his fibre optic cable broke.

-

All in all, well worth the extra footage.

Cheers

Paul

Mar 13, 2000
I got the dvd GOTA yesterday and I watched GOTA for the first time, and i loved it! I watched the exteneded version, and it was like seeing the inside of the Titanic for the first time. Seeing the inside of the main stern for the first time was awsome! All I have ever seen of the stern was from the outside of it, and to see some of the remains of the engines,in the stern part of the ship ,tells me of the huge responsibility the engineers had to keep the ship going during the voyage. and of the night of the sinking. I would like to thank those on this board, who were in one way or, another part of the expedition, who brought the world Titanic like we have never seen before. Of course i have seen the 1997 movie Titanic, where there were scenes of the inside of the ship, but this movie really gives the world a look at parts of the ship, that no one except the people who were on board the ship, have seen ,and no one except those who survived the sinking ,can ever know what it was like on the night of the sinking. I have waited since the movie came out in the theaters and on dvd to, see this movie, and I think it was very much worth the wait even if was on 2d. I bet that it looked good on 3d , and any titanic fan who hasnt seen it yet, and dont have the dvd should go to their nearest video store and get it. You wont regret it. It was my first dvd and i hope to get more dvds in the future jennifer mueller

T

Trevor William Sturdy

I manged to see GOTA at the IMAX here in Sydney 3 times, so have been checking my local DVD shops since the DVD release. Finally found a copy today, so quickly snapped it up (got a copy of JAWS 30th anniversary edition at the same time...nice). My only problem was that I no longer have DVD player so had to grab a cheap player as well. Arrived home only to find that the TV I have is so old that I cant connect DVD to it...DOH

New TV will have to wait till next months pay..bugger.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I have the US version, ordered it online but I don't think it is as good as the IMAX version. watched it when I was in holiday in London, the DVD pales in comparison...

Feb 24, 2004
How is the US DVD version different from the IMAX version, Jeremy? Is it just the lack of 3D, or is there different content? The sheer hugeness of the IMAX presentation? My US disc has theatrical- and expanded-length versions, with extras on a second disc.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.