Ghosts of the Abyss on VhsDvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caroline Chavez

Hey you guys! I was wondering if 'Ghosts Of The Abyss' was going to come out on Vhs/Dvd. Sorry if this was discussed before. But Ghosts Of The Abyss was a 3d movie so will they still sell it in stores? Thank you! God bless.

-Caroline C. :)

C

Caroline Chavez

ANSWER, I REALLY WANT TO KNOW, lol:)

-Caroline C. :)

Mar 18, 2000
I do know the original intent was to release "Ghosts" on DVD - I recall pre-ordering it thru Cameron's web-site.

I have since heard that all those orders were cancelled - but haven't heard anything since.

It would make good sense for Cameron to release a DVD version in the future - hopefully, an expanded version as was originally planned.

J

Jessica Walker

So whats the update? Is it going to come out on video/dvd? I also have begun looking for this movie on home video. I saw the books for the film in the book store. Thanks
happy.gif

Such a wonderful movie. With the 3d it makes it feel as if you really next to it.

Mar 3, 1998
I posted this recently in another thread of virtually the same title:

I have no special insight into the film's distribution, as that was done entirely by Disney Pictures. Likewise, Disney is in charge of distribution for the DVD version. The editing for the home-release version was completed by Earthship Productions quite some time ago and the result handed over to Disney. Disney has two decisions to make: 1) whether or not the DVD version should be in 3-D, and 2) what date to release the home version. As far as the producers are concerned, GotA is ready for release at any time. The decision to release is out of their hands, though...Disney is driving the boat now.

So, the answer is: Yes, there is a version for home release, and only the Disney marketing geniuses knows when it will be released. Cameron has done his part...it's now up to the Mouse.

Parks

Hilda Jaschke

Jun 20, 2001
james cameron has a website? What is the link?

I tried a search for his production company,couldn't find anything!
Anyone have any ideas!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
YES!!! Buying the DVD will be the only way I can watch Ghosts of the Abyss as they don't screen it where I live. All the IMAX theatres here screen all kind of CRAP except Ghosts.
angry.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Really bad break, Jeremy. I was going to wait for this to hit the vidio stores as well, but then I recieved some sound advice to make a special effort to go see it no matter where it was. A good thing it appeared in a local theatre as I would have had to drive to Charlotte or Charleston otherwise.

I'm sure the DVD will be top notch whenever it comes out, but I was glad to have seen it in the cinema when I had the chance. If it does appear someplace within driving distance, I'd go for it if I were you. Watching it on the telly in your home just won't be the same.

Jul 12, 2003
I completely agree with Michael...no matter how good the DVD may be (if one comes out), it will never come close to seeing the film on the big screen. Being in 3-D, I think the effect is much better on a larger screen too.

Jeremy, why don't you petition one of your IMAX theatres to get a run a copy of the film? Have you ever asked the manager why he didn't get a copy for his theater? Perhaps you could even search the internet for an IMAX that is or will run it...it is worth the drive to see (in my opinion).

May 6, 2003
i read somewhere (i forget where) that sometime next fall there is suspposed to be a new edition Titanic with deleted scenes, cast interview and more including ghosts of the abyss on it. Well i hope its true anyway

-stefan

Mar 3, 1998
Stefan,

I doubt that GotA will be included on a "Titanic" disc set. GotA belongs to Disney, "Titanic" to Paramount.

Parks

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>Jeremy, why don't you petition one of your IMAX theatres to get a run a copy of the film? Have you ever asked the manager why he didn't get a copy for his theater?<<
The interest in Titanic here is pathetic, so far that many of my classmates did not know that Titanic was a real ship. To petition to one of the theatres here (we have only 3 IMAX) and be successful is like the possibility of raising the Titanic. Firstly, very few members of the public will actually bother to sign it, and I have left countless feedback to the IMAX theatre asking them to screen GotA, but to no avail.
cry.gif

Jul 12, 2003
That's too bad Jeremy. Even if one is not interested in the Titanic, GofA would still be very interesting (I would think at least).

Hopefully,it will appear on DVD/VHS so you can at least see it that way.

About GofA being included on a Titanic disc set, I totally agree with Parks. Imagine two big studios getting together to decide how to package, market, price, distribute, etc. their individual products as one product. A few egos might get involved and that is never good.

I think, at most, if each were distributed separately, they MIGHT include trailers for each other on their respective discs.

May 9, 2000
Hi,

a few days ago I saw Ghosts of Abyss in our IMAX theatre in Munich. It was a preview only for journalists, the film will start in Germany in January or February. I believe it will appear on DVD or VHS on the market not before all IMAX cinemas in the world will have shown it for a while.

If you just have seen it in three dimensions - I think the 2D-edition can hardly reach that impression. As far as I know it is not possible to create a 3D-DVD for tv-screens.

But it is very well possible to create a 3D-edition for another kind of home cinema. All you need are:

- a special silver coated screen for 3D projection (like the ones for slide projections - not expensive),
- two video or DVD beamers (expensive)
- one GotA DVD for the left eye,
- a second one for the right eye and
- the usual IMAX glasses (cheap).

Finally you put on polarisation foils onto the beamer lenses, start both DVDs exactly at the same time, put on your IMAX glasses and enjoy it in 3D...

I wish they would sell them two (right and left) DVDs separately.

Best regards
Henning

M

Mary S. Lynn

GotA has been playing in Atlanta for some time now. I'm a one and a half hour drive from Atlanta. It would make sense that I could procure tickets rather easily. It would make equal sense that Disney (being Disney) would be most cooperative in providing me with tickets for an actual showing. It would make sense that providing a credit card to purchase tickets would be an easy thing. What doesn't make sense is for an 18-year old Disney/IMAX rep. to tell me that the show is sold out years beyond my required age to draw from my IRA and 401K. What does make sense is that I have a cat and a philodendron (not to mention kids) older that that Disney rep. What also makes sense is that I have a contact with a Disney sales exec. I am looking forward to seeing GotA early nest year.

Jul 12, 2003
Mary, I am totally confused as to what you are saying? Do I understand you to mean that the guy at the IMAX theatre said that all showings were completely sold out for, what seems by your description, a very long time? I don't understand what you mean by "Disney (being Disney) providing you with tickets" though. Do you mean to say that a Disney rep has gotten you tickets? That would be nice. The show is good. Hope you get to see it.

I used to work for Disney (but not is sales) and the people I worked with were always very nice. So I hope it works out for you. You would think that if the theater has that many requests o see the show, they would expand their hours to accommodate more people.

Status
Not open for further replies.