Ghosts of the Abyss soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2002
I just got the the GotA soundtrack and highly recommend it. I love "Darkness, Darkness" but am having a little trouble understanding all the lyrics. Can anyone help me out?

I know the song was originally by The Youngbloods, but this version has slightly different lyrics.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Cathy

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Cathy,

I have the Ghosts of the Abyss soundtrack as well. I agree, it is a terrific CD.

Here are the lyrics:

Darkness, Darkness
Be my pillow
Take my hand
and let me sleep.
In the coldness of
your shadow, in the silence of
your deep.

Darkness, Darkness
Hide my yearning
for the things that
cannot be.
Keep my mind from
constant turning, toward
the things that cannot
see.

Darkness, Darkness
Long and lonesome
With the day that
breaks and happiness.
I have found the edge
of silence, oh I am in
depths of fear.

Darkness, Darkness
be my blanket.
Cover me at the
endless night.
Take away the thing
I'm glowing (I think).
Fill the emptiness
with light.

Second chorus repeated

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jul 7, 2002
Hi Jason,

Thank you!

I wonder if the last verse is:

Take away the thing
The pain of knowing.
Fill the emptiness
with night.

What do you think? It would fit better with the meaning of the rest of the lyrics, but this is one of the verses I can't understand. (I have a hearing loss which makes it difficult for me to discriminate consonant sounds.)

Happy Independence Day!

Cathy

Jul 7, 2002
The only store I checked was Wal-Mart. When they didn't have it AND I received an Amazon gift certificate, I decided Amazon was the way to go.

Jason, belated Happy Canada Day!

Cathy

A

Alex McLean

I recently received a copy of the CD from Jason. I must say, it is such beautiful music, but there is one piece that I love most.
Thirty-eight seconds into Track 13, 'The Grand Staircase', there is a piano solo accompanied by a violin. It is meaningful to me, not only because it illustrates the true beauty of the music, but it is because of someone very special to me. A while back I lost my best friend, but before she passed away, she always used to play exactly the same piano piece. It is so haunting. It saddens me to remember her, but it makes me so happy to know that in my music, I will always have a part of her.
Goodbye, Lisa.

Best wishes,
Alex

Jul 7, 2002
Alex,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but what a great way to remember her. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Much of the GOTA and Titanic soundtrack evokes similar feelings for me. I've lost both my parents one of my uncles and sometimes the music moves me to tears because it is so sorrowful. On GOTA I especially like "Darkness, Darkness" because of its sad longing for peace after grief. I like the happy music, too!

I'm glad you are enjoying the GOTA soundtrack.
happy.gif

Best wishes,

Cathy

A

Alex McLean

Cathy,
Thankyou for your condolences. I, too, am sorry for the loss of your family members. The music does serve, as Lawrence Beesly described, as an immortal requium. I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to that track without thinking of Lisa, but it makes me glad that I'll always remember her.
Goodnight.
Alex

On a side note, it was Lisa who brought me into the world of Titanic. Thankyou, 'Ms. Murdoch'... for everything.

Jul 12, 2003
I am also sorry for the loss of your friend, Alex. But what a beautiful tribute to her memory this music is to keep in your heart.

Dec 12, 1999
I Amazoned, and received the CD last week. I was surprised to see it was done by Joel McNeely, who also did "Shadows of the Empire", a soundtrack for one of the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels (which I recommend giving a listen to, even if you aren't an SW fan). I do like most of the CD...I went straight for the Palm Court music, as is my bent...lovely, I wonder who the musicians were for those pieces (I don't know if it's listed inside the cover, and since there's an awful picture of the rusting bow, I'm not going to look at all).

I did have a problem with one particular song on there..."Jake and Elwood". Now, whose bright idea was it to put Titanic techno on there? It doesn't fit in with the rest of the tracks, and frankly, there would be no reason for something so utterly contemporary to be associated with the Titanic. What next, rap?

But anyway, the best pieces are "The Grand Staircase", "Elegance Past", and all of the Palm Court pieces.

A

Alex McLean

Jake and Elwood doesn't suit the CD in my opinion. When I first listened to it, I was alone and had it up very loud on some heavy bass speakers. As soon as the bass on that piece started, instead of the graceful and continuous bass of other tracks, this one was jumping, and in the end, my speaker leapt from my shelf and dangled by a cord above my door as the stereo grew taught and jammed beside my computer.
As was said, it doesn't suit the mood, regardless of how technologically advanced these ROV's are.

C

Caroline Chavez

Wow Alex, lol.. That in a way made me giggle. Anyhow, i just got the CD 'Ghosts Of The Abyss' and yes indeed it is very beautiful and i highly also recommend it. Though the songs that are more modern(hip-hop kind of) I think it really does not suite the Cd.. but the again they do have a good rytham. My favorite is "Grand Staircase" like many of you, i wish it was a bit longer though, that would save me the time of repeating it every minute.(lol). I also like track #16,#23.. also Darkness, Darkness i do not know some the names because i do not have the cover with me. But anywho, i love the soundtrack dearly.. "GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS & BACK TO TITANIC" are curentlly my favorite CD's and probably will always be. Thank you.

-Caroline C. :)

J

Jessica Walker

I need some help,i was wondering if anybody on this topic could provide me with the artist of each of the songs? I thought the list of artists for the soundtrack would also be included next to the songs at amazon.com preview, but they are not. I also need the times for the songs. If you can help me my e-mail address is: [email protected]

Jul 7, 2002
Hello Jessica,

Welcome aboard! I highly recommend the soundtrack; it quickly became one of my favorites.

I am curious: why do you need the artists and time for each track? I can send you the info, but just wonder why you need to know before you buy it.

Best wishes,

Cathy

J

Jessica Walker

I sent an reply back to you with info why i needed this info.I also needed it because amazon did any any other info for this cd for the list of the songs and i was just curious about who sang the songs. Thanks Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.