Ghosts of the Abyss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Stefan,

Cameron did try to access the Turkish baths, but was ordered up by the captain of the dive ship just before he could send his ROVS into that area. It was there last dive on the wreck so he never got a chance to revisit. Maybe next time.

Cameron did not have enough time to look at some of the watertight doors. Mainly because most of them are located where the boiler rooms are which is a quite an inaccessible place. He did think about sending one of his bots down the fireman’s staircase but there were to many obstacles. If Cameron had more time he might of tried to visit the swimming bath area on F-deck but probably would be blocked of by the closed watertight door that was located there.

He never got to thoroughly explore this foyer area because of time constraints. If you want to find more information about Cameron’s 2001 wreck dive, there is an article written up by Ken Marschall. It’s at www.marconigraph.com or have a look at your local library and see if they have a copy of Don Lynch and Ken Marschall’s Ghosts of the Abyss book.

Hope this helps,

Nigel

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>He did think about sending one of his bots down the fireman’s staircase but there were to many obstacles.<<

From the looks of my unabridged copy if the GoTA DVD, he did make the attempt. Like Nigel said though, too many obstacles. I wouldn't be surprised if the same situation applied near the Turkish Baths either. There are lots of ways to get tangled up in a shipwreck, and the way down is through some mighty confined spaces that I have no doubt are littered with debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.