GHOSTS OUTTAKES PART 3 AVAILABLE

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Hello all,

The third (and final) installment of outtake images from the "Ghosts of the Abyss" project is now available for purchase through the Titanic Historical Society website at www.titanichistoricalsociety.org/membership/Issue163.asp. (Details describing Part 3 may not actually be on the site for a few days, but you can order the issue anyway. I understand an image of the cover and further details will be added to their site this coming week.)

Please note: Membership in the society is NOT required to purchase any issues of this series individually. Simply go to the bottom of the page in the link provided above and click for info on ordering individual issues. Please specify that you want issue number 165.

In Part 3 you will find previously unpublished images of Titanic's exterior and interior, including inside her A-deck promenades, D-deck entrance vestibules, new close-ups of the china in the fallen sideboard, elevator grills, third-class Open Space and stairwells, crew hospital, the engines, behind-the-scenes "ghosts" shooting at Fox Studios Baja, and more.

By "outtakes," I am referring to images that weren't selected for either the adult or juvenile 3-D companion books, not the movie itself. (A few of the shots were seen in the film, now available on DVD in an expanded 90-minute program.) But just because they weren't selected by the books' editors doesn't mean the images aren't just as compelling. Phil Hind will post two examples in a couple of days. (I am having difficulty uploading them.)

I hope you enjoy this last in the series.

Available while supplies last. DON'T MISS OUT!

Best wishes,

Ken Marschall

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Sample Images from Outakes #3
87522.jpg

1) Inside the starboard A-deck promenade.

87523.jpg

2) Brass signplate found over the portside door of the Officers' Quarters.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
That first photo is the most haunting IMO. I can imagine passengers promanading there, gossiping and exchanging in all manner of "social intercourse" without a care in the world and with a nice but protected view of the ocean.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Great stuff; I have my issue ordered, and as with the previous two, can't wait to see it! The promenade shot looks as good to me as if we were there ourselves, wearing a pair of safety boots and wandering about with a torch! Much of the GOTA exploration imagery has made me feel like that, actually.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
LoL! At least I'm easy to please, Bill (all it takes is a DSV and the funding to back it for the right shots).

I did get a jolt when I opened up the thread and saw that photo of the sign. There are a few promenade shots in circulation (not that one ever gets tired of them, particularly when they've got an external light that almost makes it appear that daylight is shining through as in this one), but the sign was a surprise.

It looks like a shallow water tropical wreck, there's so much light in that shot, gradiating from the top down. I could almost see a half-moon wrasse swim by, or a school of bump-headed parrot fish and a moorish idol. It could be 30 metres down in Palau...not almost 3 miles down in the North Atlantic. The lighting throughout the GOTA expedition has been superlative in its effects - notably of course in the "sunrise" through the glass, but also in shots like this.

K

Konrad Hutchins

Hi All

First post here and just wanted to ask a quick question. I have been trying to find out how much shipping is for these special eddition to the UK and was wondering if one of the Brits could advise.

As for the imagery from the GOTA exhibition. I think that it's going to be a tough job folllowing what James Cameron and his team accomplished down there.
In one swoop he showed us more about the ship than all the other dives to her have done.
Now all we need is for him to go back for a few days and get to the Turkish Baths!

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Konrad, I'm also in the UK and I've only ordered each GOTA Commutator individually each time as it has come out, but for each one, the cost was $20.00 for the mag itself, and $8.00 for regular airmail shipping, which seems fairly quick- around about the week mark. With the excellent rate the pound has vs. the dollar these days, we UK folk actually do very well on the deal!

I don't know, but as there's not much weight involved, I should think that combining several issues in one order would not cost much, if anything, more for shipping- I may be wrong there, of course!

To order, go to the THS website, and click on 'Museum Shop', then under 'Commutator' you'll see a heading 'Special Issues'; the 3 GOTA issues are on page 2.

Hope all this helps!

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Woo-hoo, guess what I had in the post this morning!
Yup, yet again, THS act like lightning and my Outtakes Part 3 is here already.

Time for all the superlatives again! Wonderful, thought-provoking imagery, and it was great to put a face to our Parks, too!

I thought that the 'Ghost' filming bit would annoy, and that I'd rather the space were used for even more wreck pictures, (I'm dead greedy, me!) but no, it was as well presented and balanced an article as the first two parts.

With people like James Cameron prepared to really reach and get the best that is possible out of the wreck, and with someone like Ken to decipher it all and present it to the world, we are very, very lucky people and I think that short of the actual discovery in '85, this has been one of the most exciting times to be a Titanic enthusiast.

I thank Ken as much as is humanly possible, for all his hard work, and for allowing us all to hold this marvelous stuff in our sweaty little hands!

Thank you.

Mar 3, 1998
I don't know if anyone picked up on this, but Ken mentions briefly in this latest article that Cameron looked for Ballard's memorial plaque on the fantail and not finding it there, laid his own in the exact same spot.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but during the latest National Geographic special when Ballard was looking for his missing plaque, I don't recall seeing Cameron's plaque, either.

Seems like the fantail is not a good spot for placing permanent memorials. :)

Parks

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Cheers, Parks!

Good point about the plaques...maybe there's a ghost or two of the abyss that ISN'T made by CGI down there, wandering about and casually booting the plaques off the edge of the fantail!

Good point though, if Cameron's has gone too, then where and how?