GHOSTS OUTTAKES PART 3 AVAILABLE

Mar 3, 1998
Mike,

Well, if there are ghosts down there haunting the wreck, they're restricted to the stern area. The plethora of plaques on the bow section are undisturbed (at least they were in 2001), including Ballard's other plaque on one of the bow capstans.

Parks

Reactions: 1 user
K

Konrad Hutchins

I guess the current is strong enough to move the plaques, but there must be a lot down there.

Konrad

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Now correct me if I'm wrong, but during the latest National Geographic special when Ballard was looking for his missing plaque, I don't recall seeing Cameron's plaque, either.<<

Nor do I. I recall seeing a few others there, but I may be confabulating about that.

>>Seems like the fantail is not a good spot for placing permanent memorials. :) <<

So it would seem.

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Thank you, Omar and others, for your compliments. Regarding Cameron's plaque: Genya placed it considerably farther inboard than where Ballard's was. I doubt VERY much that it has fallen off as well. I remember a lot of 1986 footage was cut into the program. Are we sure that wasn't old fantail footage?

Ken

Reactions: 1 user

Omar Khokhar

Dec 6, 2002
You certainly deserve the compliments Ken, for all your magnificent work. By the way I ordered one of your art prints from the Trans atlantic designs website-can`t wait for it to arrive.

On the issue of ballard`s plaque. I came across something yesterday, that ballard`s plaque was still visible on the mosaic that RMS Titanic Inc produced of the stern section and that, the feeling was the plaque disappeared pehaps in 2000.

Ken, do you recall seeing it on your 2000 expedition?

If the plaque simply slid off the edge, wouldn`t it be visible on the ocean floor. Surely the plaque hasn`t been covered up with sediment etc.

Also, I presume on ballard`s latest visit to the titanic, he would have used the ROV to scan the ocean floor around fantail, looking for the plaque.

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Omar,

"Ken, do you recall seeing it on your 2000 expedition?"

When I was aboard Keldysh, RMST Inc. were only looking at the bow and working the debris for artifacts.

"If the plaque simply slid off the edge, wouldn`t it be visible on the ocean floor. Surely the plaque hasn`t been covered up with sediment etc."

The plaque is made of bronze or similar metal and is very heavy. It surely would have buried itself in the mud somewhat. But the point of impact would, it seems to me, be evident, and a little digging would find it.

"Also, I presume on ballard`s latest visit to the titanic, he would have used the ROV to scan the ocean floor around fantail, looking for the plaque."

I haven't heard that he did.

Ken

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I remember a lot of 1986 footage was cut into the program. Are we sure that wasn't old fantail footage?<<

Interesting point there. With so much of the NG's Return to Titanic showing that was obviously in the can well ahead of time...and just a few scant minutes that was live...we really don't know if any of the "current" footage was really all that current.

Omar Khokhar

Dec 6, 2002
Thanks Ken, you raise a interesting point regarding the plaque, no doubt is is a debate that will run and run!

It suprises me, that Ballard is so convinced that the plaque has been removed, pehaps he should give more thought to the possibility of the plaque burying itself into the mud.

One quick question Ken, if I may. Since you have dived onto the wreck yourself, is the wreck deteriating as badly as some people have claimed? Which areas are deteriating the most and which are not? In your own opinion, how long does the wreck have left? I`ve heared between 10-30 years!

Ken, I hope to see-some more articles by you in the Commutator in the future. Your knowledge is superb.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ken, a little aside in case you stop in again: I was watching the Deep Sea Detectives Andrea Doria episode this morning and saw the revision you did of the painting of the wreck. Very sharp piece of work there especially in the way it depicted the total collapse of the superstructure to the seabed. I don't suppose this revised painting can be seen on line somewhere, can it?

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I'd scanned in the relevant section of the RMSTI mosaic on another forum a few weeks back, and the stern plaque wasn't visible there. In my opinion the plaque is on the ocean floor driven into the sediment by all the subs scurrying under the poop to see the screws.

Cheers

Paul

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
The sad thing is, if Ballard's original plaque WAS found in the muck somewhere, he probably still wouldn't retract the things he has said.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Pins and needles kind if describes it for me. I'm hoping it'll turn up in the mail tomorrow. As for Dr. Ballard, well, if he's wrong, he's wrong. Since any such discovery would probably be trumpted about for all to see, especially by any parties he may have offended, it wouldn't much matter if he stuck to his guns. Word gets around. He can't really stop that.

M

Mikael Jonsson

I haven't got mine yet
sad.gif

I became a member of THS just to get the wreck outtakes part 1-3. Am I the only one who hasn't got the third part yet? I live in Europe, but it was sent on June 25th so it should have been here a long time ago.

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I just got mine a week ago; I live on the East Coast. It's a great issue. Thank you Ken Marschall!.. It also has an article by John Maxtone Graham.