Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage: The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Hello everyone,
I don't have time to write a full review of the book right now, but I wanted to recommend Hugh Brewster's new book, "Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage: The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World." Having spoken to the author while he was working on the book, I can say with certainty that he went out of his way to tell the history right, and include the best information available when writing this. The perspective of the book is unique, examining the First Class passengers in the proper context of the Edwardian Era, and the world in which they lived, an aspect often left out. With all the Titanic books out in time for the centennial, this is one that is definitely worth owning.

All my best,
Tad

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Tad

We have this book out for review at the moment so I am hopeful that there will be a full review on ET very soon.

Cheers

Phil

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Thanks Phil, glad to see that. By chance, is anyone reviewing "Everything Was Against Us" by Simon Angel? I haven't seen any reviews, and just got a copy, but have yet to read it.

Kind regards,
Tad

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage

gilded-lives-fatal-voyage_100x100_100x75.jpg

Gilded Lives Fatal Voyage takes its title from Mark Twain's famous observation that enduringly characterised an era and the reference is an apt one. 'The Gilded Age' is a powerful descriptive of a period in which surface patina could disguise a base metal core and while Hugh Brewster's book is an affectionate look at a particular age and the diverse class that inhabited it it is not an uncritical one. The lives of the first class passengers Brewster wri... Titanic Review Wed, 13 Jun 2012

More...