Glad it sank

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
Do you think there was anyone happy the ship sank? Maybe they were not looking forward to NYC or they hated there spouse and wanted them dead anyways. It's not that far fetched to think out of 2200 people and 700 survivors there was one person that might have been glad it went straight to the bottom.

Matthew Farr

Mar 23, 2000
Lansing, Michigan, United States
John Jacob Astors' ex wife
happy.gif

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Even the most cold hearted, jealous adversary of the Titanic (whoever that might have been) could surely not have felt any delight in the sinking once the death toll was announced.

If the ship had sunk with no loss of life it might be more plausible.

Cheers,
Adam.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
According to Joseph Conrad somebody took malicious pleasure in the sinking. I've never seen the actual papers he's thinking of. Maybe they mentioned the pride that goes before a fall.

"...the "King's Enemies" of a more or less overt sort are not altogether sorry that this fatal mishap should strike the prestige of the greatest Merchant Service of the world. I believe that not a thousand miles from these shores certain public prints have betrayed in gothic letters their satisfaction--to speak plainly--by rather ill-natured comments."

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
When Titanic sank, the emnity between the Kaiser's Germany the UK, France and possibly Russia was building. Germany was building her navy. Anything which embarassed her adversaries would privately have been viewed with glee. The Titanic, while not a Royal Navy ship, was officered by many RNR men. The British 'pride of the ocean' going down on it's maiden voyage must have given the Kaiserlich Marine a great deal of satisfaction.

New book due out in April!!

JC

Jun 11, 2000
Though I'm sure he would have denied any schadenfreude, I think the Bishop of Winchester was not altogether horrified, as he took the opportunity to thunder from the pulpit about sin, hedonism, retribution, man's hubris, wrath of God etc. etc. etc.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
>>> The "King's Enemies" of a more or less overt sort are not altogether sorry that this fatal mishap should strike the prestige of the greatest Merchant Service of the world. I believe that not a thousand miles from these shores certain public prints have betrayed in gothic letters their satisfaction--to speak plainly--by rather ill-natured comments. <<<

This could be a reference to certain extreme elements within the Irish Home Rule movement, some of whom would probably have regarded Harland & Wolff and its largely Protestant work force has a symbol of Irish Unionism. The year 1912 was, moreover, a time of high tension in which the United Kingdom came close to civil war over Ireland.

May 31, 2006
Certainly in 1912 one would be hard pressed to find any significant sentiment in favor of the sinking. However, a century later, an entire industry has evolved with a real stake in the continuation of interest in the disaster. Authors, film makers, writers and researchers of all stripes and abilities depend on the fact that the Titanic sank. The disaster has enabled many of them to reap significant financial rewards and, as a cynic, I tend to believe that many cash their checks without too much of a feeling of remorse that the ship went down. A few years ago I went to the New York City Titanic exhibit.Most of the displays were of 100 year old cups, saucers, plates and utensils- all very pedestrian- with knock offs available in the souvenier shop at ridiculous prices. The lines were long at the checkout register.