Glaring mistakes

Nov 8, 2003
I never thought of it before now, even though ive seen titanic many times in the last 6 years, but when Lowe calls out for anyone alive, hes in the biggest water mass on the planet, the North Atlantic, so how the bloody hell does he get an echo?
I know its a plot device of Camerons (poor bloke if were blaming him and its someone elses fault
sad.gif
) because it sybolises that the only one there is himself, and it does work tremendously but its now more funny to me when i see it now.

Jul 11, 2001
Having seen the movie several times, that never bothered me. Cameron did eveything in the movie for a reason. Correct or otherwise. The echo no doubt played better to emphasize the fact nobody alive was left. Often these scenes are done both ways and reviewed to see which way plays out better.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Another scenario to consider in that scene is Rose's condition. She may have been hearing an echo in HER ear. Pressure causing an occlusion effect?

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Tim! Good point. He does depict Rose as drifting into sleep or perhaps hypothermia on the wreckage.
Lord knows when I am awoken from sleep I have confused a ringing phone to my alarm clock!

I will have to watch that scene again to see if the effect was attributed to Rose's disorientation at the moment. Eh, or it might just be Cameron. LOL.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Tim has it right. Cameron's 'stage directions' show that from Rose's point of view the boat and the men in it move in slow motion and the sound of their voices is distorted.

Richard Paola

Nov 17, 2001
true...not every scene in a Titanic movie is meant to be based on "pure fact"; it's the same with the 1953 Titanic movie; one thread mentioned that they thought a "silly" scene was during the singing of "Nearer my God to Thee" on the sloping decks; of course it didn't happen that way, but i thought it was rather moving; it was an effective way of "freezing" that moment in time;