Glass dome?

Cjwalker5

Apr 29, 2017
According to the Bruce Beveridge blueprints (Hosted on this site), the forward staircase dome was oval, the aft was circular.

The dome may have been a feature added afterwards, but the staircase and funnels were always meant to be exactly where they are. This is integral to the ship's design all the way down to the keel and the boiler placement. Basically, the boilers determine the position of the funnels, and the staircase just slips in between funnel #1 and #2.

The forward grand staircase is just grander than the aft staircase. Among other things, it has a larger vestibule, and the dome covers part of the vestibule. If you think of each staircase as a stack of round balconies surrounding a courtyard, with a staircase attached. The forward grand staircase has a rectangular court (with an oval dome), and the aft has a square court (with a round dome). So it's just an aesthetic choice. It would be totally impossible to put a smokestack there.

The debatable 4th funnel would have been the last one, which is over turbine engine room. No smoke is generated there, so there's no need for a smoke stack.
Thank you, Iv been trying to convince people the forward staircase dome was oval. With the smokestack idea, I know it's impossible I was just playing with concepts. It would be interesting to see early concepts of the Olympic class ships, I imagine they'd be very different to how the final products looked.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
My opinion about the forward dome being round is based off the reproduction blue prints of the 1st class accommodation from 1911.If one looks at the period drawing of the stairs, you can see why a round dome would have made sense.These period blueprints don't really show the elliptical dimension of the staircase foyer and balcony placements like the updated ones do.Also keep in mind that being under a large round dome (the Pantheon in Rome) and trying to photograph such a large area, it can have the appearance of being more elliptical,as average cameras don't really capture the roundness of such spaces unless you are standing directly under them.Im not saying you are all wrong as I have looked at updated blueprints.Its just that sometimes photography can play perspectival tricks on the eye.Also keep in mind that every round object from bird baths to recessed ceiling lights have an elliptical appearance when looked at from certain distances and angles.If you want proof, cut a circle out of a piece of paper,place it on a table top and look at it from a distance.Or croutch down to look at it from more of an eye level.As for the fourth funnel , it was a dummy placed by design,and not really nessessary.However the belief among ocean travelers back then was that the more smokestacks a liner had , the safer it was thought to be.

Last edited: