Gold bullion

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I heard that the bouillon was really on the Republic when it sank, and that rumors were deliberately spread that the bouillon was on the Titanic to throw off scavengers until they could locate the Republic and retrieve the bouillon. This was told to me by a friend who has a friend who is an expert on the Republic as well as a sea captain himself.
Any comments?

Kyrila

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The was probably quite a bit of bouillon on Titanic. It was in the galleys, as bouillon is broth or stock made by boiling beef. Bullion is another thing. Not as tasty but valuable.

(Couldn't resist)

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I posted this on another forum, but it seems to have been zapped..... with regards to bullion,
Assistant storekeeper Frank Prentice said in a 1984 TV interview that he help to load a small amount of specie on board the ship (gold and silver bars)

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Did Titanic even have a Specie Room? I've looked at all kinds of plans, and none seems to be marked, as I would expect one would be considering it would have been specially reinforced.

Mar 23, 2004
Most plans will not identify a "specie" room for obvious security reasons. But, they were most commonly in close proximity to the mailroom. Valuables were often sent via registered mail, so a secure storage area for that (as well as bullion/specie) was almost always adjacent.

For gold storage considerations in general, visit: http://rms-republic.com/sal03.html

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Lee, if you look at the plan of the Orlop deck on this site, you will see a square space adjacent to the mail room, just forward of the bunker hatch. This is marked on some plans as the specie room.

Jan 28, 2003
I think it very likely that facilities were available on the Titanic for the transportation of bullion etc, even if only small amounts were carried on her maiden voyage. Nobody had credit cards, and banks were not able to readily exchange monetary sums. It was a cash economy then. However, I doubt if much is down there - because the millionaires had real credit - nobody doubted their credentials. So they just carried calling cards, references etc, or their own reputation. No gold.

J

Joshua Doyle Tift

There is treasure down there to be found. Look at all of the claims filed by first class. No one has ever found Mrs. Astor's diamonds,Widener pearls, or Mrs. Carters jewels. No one even knows if the first class safes were emptied. So how can anyone say that there is nothing to be found down there. Most certainly there is a fortune in jewels down there waiting to be found and the shipment of diamonds turned out to be true too. So don't say there is not anything to be found. You had some of the richest people on board that ship so that is proof in its self.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>You had some of the richest people on board that ship so that is proof in its self.<<

No it isn't. It may be an indication that there might be something down there but being rich isn't neseccerily proof that you're dragging all you're wealth around with you, or even anything beyond some clothes and the funds in your wallet.

Having said that, there may well be a fortune down there, but as expensive as it is just to send a submersible down that deep just to take pictures, never mind the additional expense in hunting and recovering artifacts, don't count on finding enough to make a profit.

J

Joshua Doyle Tift

First I did not say that the rich take everything with them every time they travel. Look at the claims and read some of the newer book on the subject. In the book Titanic An Illustrated History it is stated that women did not take there best pieces of jewelry with them but that they did travel with some to wear. You cant expect a ship of today with all kinds of famous people on board to not have any thing of value with them when there boat would sink. And being rich you would travel with some jewelry to show off I would know. If you look at all the people on board and look at the claims you would find a very good profit look at how the R.M.S. TITANIC Inc has done so far.

Oct 21, 2004
Joshua, I don’t think anyone is disputing the fact that there were rich people on the Titanic who traveled with their equally rich creature comforts. Of course they didn’t take every last thing of value with them, but they wanted to show off [they were, after all, on the Titanic], as you said. No one is disputing that either. But to assemble the contents of the wreck into a foundered pile of undiscovered treasure worth tons of money is wrong. While the value of jewelry, furs, clothing, that Renault, etc., together were unbelievably high, the true value lay in those passengers’ net worth and their intangible collective wealth as a whole OUTSIDE of the Titanic. Real estate, railroads, etc. Since you’re talking about money, there’s your real treasure.

Jun 12, 2004
>>If you look at all the people on board and look at the claims you would find a very good profit<<

What items were claimed and what can actually be found on the ocean floor are two entirely different things, especially after almost a hundred years and a crumbling wreck. Many items, if not obscured, are likely deteriorated beyond recognition, if still existing at all. True, there are a number of valuables still yet to be found, but many will likely never be found due to the reasons given above. I'm sure many "treasure hunters" are aware of this.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Relatively few jewels have been located by numerous expeditions. I myself saw the live TV broadcast of the opening of that purser's safe that was recovered - bereft of anything other than a few pieces of trinkets or papers. Of the pieces of jewelry found was a bracelet with the name Amy, and a sapphire ring believed to belong to Mrs. Cardeza, along with a few other items of this nature, and a pocket watch.

Frankly I find the whole "treasure hunter" mentality sickening. While I have supported the efforts to bring items from the wreckage for historic and scientific purposes, selling them for profit is morally wrong. I feel this way about any shipwreck, not just the Titanic. That's why I'm only interested in purchasing reproductions - so the actual relic can be preserved for public posterity and not private vanity.

Kyrila

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>First I did not say that the rich take everything with them every time they travel.<<

I didn't say that you did. What I did was quote you verbatim when you said "You had some of the richest people on board that ship so that is proof in its self" in relation to 'Most certainly there is a fortune in jewels down there waiting to be found and the shipment of diamonds turned out to be true too. So don't say there is not anything to be found." then I proceeded to rebut the arguement.

Not difficult to do when one resorts to the logical fallacy of Affirming the Consequent

Yes, there were a lot of very wealthy people aboard, but that does not in itself mean they were traveling with hoards of their personal goodies and wealth with them. (Doesn't mean that they weren't either.) It only means that there were a lot of rich people aboard.

J

Joshua Doyle Tift

Are you trying to say that the claims the passengers themselves every other piece that has surfaced over the years is false except for what you have and your so called sources have to say.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Are you trying to say that the claims the passengers themselves every other piece that has surfaced over the years is false except for what you have and your so called sources have to say.<<

And what makes you think that all of them are inspired inerrant? Insurance fraud is quite common in the wake of any such events and it's a game a lot of people play...even the wealthy. Now, why don't you attend to the whole of what I said earlier as opposed to contriving a strawman?