Good Knight to this film's domestic gross

Nov 30, 2000
Speculation is "The Dark K

Speculation is "The Dark Knight" has a good shot at unseating "Titanic"'s record domestic gross.
Frankly, given my views on the latter film amply expressed elsewhere on this forum, I rather hope the new Batman bades "Titanic"'s record ... well, good Knight. *Laughs manically as the Joker* :)

Nov 26, 2005
If you get a chance Michael, I

If you get a chance Michael, I hope you get to see it. I went on opening night, which was a fiasco, and wasn't disappointed in the least. It will make a great dvd come December.

Mar 15, 2001
Nope, no chance to pass Titani

Nope, no chance to pass Titanic. Titanic appealed to all ages, Dark Night does not. So many movies were thought to surpass Titanic. I am sure one eventually will but it is going to take one that appeals to all ages.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hmmmm... again, these things a

Hmmmm... again, these things are all relative. Keep in mind that the 1997/1998/1999 dollars were worth more than the 2008 equivalent, so even after ten years attendance figures have to be adjusted for inflation. And that it costs more to see a film today than it did when Titanic was in its first run, so again, keep in mind that the impressive figures don't mean anything unless you adjust one film to the dollar value of the era of the other and then calculate how many people actually paid to attend the film. So, Dark Knight will have to earn more to cover the same ground as Titanic.

But, the same caution applies to Titanic's vaunted 'record.' It is high on the list of all-time champs, but is not really the film to beat. Look at it this way: in 1958 a Cadillac could be had for about $5500; in 1987 a fully dressed Yugo could be yours for a little over $6000. But no one would mistake the relative value of one for the other. The $300,000,000.00 Jaws earned in its first run and two subsequent re-releases, in terms of buying power and the number of actual theatregoers it represents (It cost $3 to see it first run back in 1976)puts it well ahead of Dark Knight, and fairly close to Titanic in terms of backsides in the seats.

I think that the OTHER film with tacky 'stirring' painted sunset shots is still ahead of Titanic.

May 27, 2007
<!-quot​

quote:

I think that the OTHER film with tacky 'stirring' painted sunset shots is still ahead of Titanic.
"Gone With The Wind"!

Scarlett: I'll think about it tomorrow. After all tomorrow is another day!​

Nov 26, 2005
>>"Gone With The W

>>"Gone With The Wind"! <<

You know, I've still never managed to sit myself down and watch that movie all the way through. I keep meaning to but that type of movie (from what I've heard) just doesn't float my boat.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Gome With the Wind is o

Gome With the Wind is one of the few famous movies I've seen. Personally, I thought it sagged badly after the Civil War ended. The flimsy romance needed the background of great events.

Nov 26, 2005
>>The flimsy romance n

>>The flimsy romance needed the background of great events.<<

That's pretty much the impression I've always had. I'll check it out next time it's on tv and I need a nice nap.