Good titanic books

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nienke B

hi,

i want a GOOD titanic book, one that has a lot information and not one of those books which has more pictures in it than real usefull information. Does anyone have an idea?

Nienke

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A really good book would have the best of all worlds in regards to illustration(If available) and text with solid information. My Suggestions;

1)A Night To Remember, by Walter Lord
2)The Night Lives On, by Walter Lord
3)Titanic, The Illustrated History, by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall
4)The Birth Of Titanic by Michael McCaughan,
5)Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy by John P. Eaton and Charles E. Haas
6)Olympic And Titanic, Ocean Liners Of The Past. These are reprints of the Shipbuilder Specials and is a goldmine of technical information that is surprisingly difficult to come by. It was edited by John Maxtone-Graham
7)The Last Log Of The Titanic, by David Brown
8)Titanic, Safety, Speed and Sacrifice by George Behe
9)The Discovery Of Titanic, by Dr. Robert Ballard
10)Any of the books on the ET Reccommended Reading list

I'm waiting on a copy of Steve Santini's book, but I'll reserve comment until I read it for myself. I hear that it's pretty good, but I don't know if it goes in depth on the sort of information you may be after.

Primary resources are a must for any serious researcher or Titanic buff. As such, I strongly recommend you obtain copies of the transcripts from the U.S.Senate Investigation as well as from the British Board Of Trade Inquiry. Hard copy (As in books) can be very expensive, however you can see the transcripts on The Titanic Inquiry Project website, for which you can get the link onthe ET links page.

This scratches the surface, but it should be a good start. There are literally hundreds of books on the subject, well over 450 the last time I looked. Be warned that not all of them are worth getting. None are perfect mind you, but some are worse then others. We had a discussion on this in the Golden Turkey Awards thread in the General Questions folder

I hope this helps.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

N

Nienke B

thanks for the suggestions, it'll probably help me finding a book which is worth spending money on. and im not the richest in the world so unfortunately i can't buy them all.
and also thanks for the tip on the primary sources, i was already wondering where some of you got that kind of information from!
Nienke

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
You might be able to borrow some of these books at your library. I don't know how many of these have been translated into Dutch, but perhaps your library can get the titles for you in English, if they're not available in Dutch.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
If you can find it, I'd recommend The Maiden Voyage by Geoffrey Marcus as one of the best, if not the best, titles available.

~ Inger

N

Nienke B

i'll start to look for 'the maiden voyage', i havent read it yet. I don't think many books will be at the library, as far as i can remember there were only 2 or 3 books about the titanic in the liberary...

Nienke

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
In the US, if a library doesn't have a book, they can usually borrow it for you from another library. Over here, this is called "interlibrary loan". Hopefully, your library does this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.