Good to be a lookout on Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2002
Others have probably noticed this, but I found it kind of funny that all six lookouts survived. Well, not funny as in suspicious, just interesting that, technically, if you were a lookout on Titanic, you had a 100 percent survival rate. I'm not sure any other group had that number, except second class children. Anyone know why this is? Luck, or were lookouts generally qualified in a way that made them valuable for the lifeboats, i.e. qualified seamen.
Best,
BR

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Anyone know why this is? Luck, or were lookouts generally qualified in a way that made them valuable for the lifeboats, i.e. qualified seamen.<<

Probably both. I don't think I can really add anything else to that.

Jun 11, 2000
Added to what Mike said, there were only 6 of them, and all qualified seamen which made them valuable in the boats. Also, four of them were not on duty anywhere else at the time of the collision. The larger the category, the less likely all would be to survive. They were less than 0.3% of the 'categories' of people on board.

Mar 18, 2000
The quartermasters also had a 100% survival rate.

Re: the lookouts and their survival, in addition to the above. Once the ship had stopped, their 'job' was pretty much useless. And, the forward part of the ship with their sleeping area, went under water - and even the lower end of the mast was getting close to underwater. Obviously, they can't stay forward, and as said, they were also seamen, and valuable to the lifeboats.

Same with the quartermasters, except they were prime choices to be put in charge of the lifeboats.

D

David Haisman

Quartermasters and Lookouts were, and supposedly, Top Rate AB's in which case, extremely valuable during the time of abandoning ship. Their ''useless jobs'' were no such thing and they had a duty to do apart from their normal routines although lifeboat handling may not be their forte'.
Lookouts on the other hand, should have been deployed immediately elsewhere as Top Rate AB's.
Quartermasters, not normally a ''natural choice'' for lifeboats and very often being ex -RN, would not be too conversant with MN passenger vessels during abandoning ship, especially in Titanic's day or any other day for that matter, unless of course, they had achieved some steaming time in their books in that industry.

David H

Status
Not open for further replies.